Warley NEC exhibition 23rd & 24th November 2019

Chris M

17 minutes ago, Chris M said:

I've been involved with the Warley show since well before it was at the NEC. It's been wonderful to see it grow into what it is today. We took a massive risk in going to the NEC. The main reason for going to the NEC was to create a showpiece for the wonderful world of model railways. It has been very successful and has grown from the smallest hall at the NEC to the largest. 

It is still quite a unique show and we have at least one full size exhibit every year. We also have a number of layouts brought across from Europe every year. Although foreign layouts aren't to everyone's taste it's great to see what is often a slightly different approach. Because there are over 90 layouts there is a fantastic variety with some of the best modelling you will see and also some interesting oddities. We also have the winners of the Great Model Railway Challenge together with a few other layouts from the programme. You might just see "Stern Steve Flint" on the Peco stand.

A lot of effort has been made to attract small trade exhibitors as well as the big boys. All the magazines are there and usually the editors are there in person.

We also make a special effort to have as many railway, preservation and modelling societies as possible although there has to be a limit of around 50 stamds. This provides a great chance to chat to societies you are interested in and maybe join them.

Then there is what is almost certainly the largest collection of demonstrators at any show.

In order to encourage youngsters we now have a junior admission price of just £1 which applies to both days.

We believe it is a great show and the main driver behind it is to enhance our hobby. Perhaps the most amazing thing is that this show is put on by a bunch of amateurs; basically just ordinary club members. There are no paid staff  and there is no big business behind the scenes  although we are very grateful that we have our sponsors. There are a lot of people giving up their time for free to make the show happen every year. We all just do it for the good of the hobby and the thrill of being there.

We just love to see lots of people there enjoying a day out.

In all those years I have never been hit by a rucksack bit I have seen thousands of happy people.

I recommend that you all buy a two day ticket so you have time to fully enjoy it all!

Precisely Chris, it's a great inclusive show. I have been hit by a ruck sack but it's no where near the problem in my experience that others make it out to be when finding a reason not to attend. Same as the occasional niffy visitor. It happens everywhere but not a reason not to attend.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

29 minutes ago, RichardS said:

If his kit and bags hit you tell him, if you're hurt ask him for compensation. He'll soon learn. Just co's he's disabled doesn't mean he shouldn't be considerate to others. You have as much right to a satisfactory day out as he has. People have no right to be a nuisance to others because of their circumstances and the organisers should take steps to ensure that any individual does not cause problems for others. 

I thought my long string of issues would indicate jest, maybe it didn't - must learn words don't always convey true meaning.

Our time on this planet is too short to really worry about all the types of people that may or may not visit this one tiny place in the universe on this one specific day - I just go, enjoy my day and get home again - my only extravagance on the day is first class travel on the way home as it will be busier and it guarantees me a seat and a cuppa. 

Please bookmark this post so you can shoot me down on the 24th when I moan about my day out as I will surely forget what i said today :D

• Like 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Well, I'm sorry I missed the humour but it was a bit too realistic as in actual fact I have seen people similar to as you describe at shows - I even encountered a trader at one show who smelled of urine. That was very off-putting.

But I won't bother with the bookmark thank you as I probably wouldn't be able to find yours (if one submitted) amongst all the other after event moans and other posts comprising hundreds of repetitive, unedited, out of focus snaps of N gauge layouts taken with wide angle lens camera phones coupled with comments like "cor looked a good show mate wish I'd gone now. Any bargains?" :-)

Edited by RichardS
typo
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Worked out this will be my 42nd consecutive Warley Show..and, although I am a country member, I have never lived close enough to visit the Club regularly.

In those 42 years I have seen major changes to the Railway Modelling world..mostly for the better. 

The "buzz" from the attendees has never changed from the very intimate surroundings of the Harry Mitchell Centre(anyone else remember getting wet getting to the "other" Halls? ) through to the present day spectacular the show has now become.

Some people will always complain, some people have never been but complain anywhere, a majority of people enjoy it but say little in praise of the event...srrange world...

So, if you have never been, forget the prophets of doom and give it a go..Sunday is the quieter day and there are still bargains to be had, layouts to be seen and traders to exchange your money for things you want or need to buy..

Baz

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

I attended Warley for the first time in 2016, only being able to find the time after retirement, have attended ever since and enjoyed every one, and will attend this year despite the best efforts of the RMT. Anyone not interested in Warley is perfectly free of course to not attend, and to not read or contribute to this topic.

• Like 2

Hortus Halt is an unusual layout at this years show. It belongs to Warley club and is designed to be a portable representation of a garden railway rather than a typical model railway. It is G scale and, all being well, will feature both Thomas and an" exploding" truck. If you have youngsters with you the might like it. This layout is at far corner of the hall close to the Bachmann sales stand.

I've heard a rumour that Harry Potter might be on board one of the trains.

IMG_20180908_115745.jpg

IMG_3293.JPG

IMG_3277.JPG

IMG_3228.JPG

IMG_20180908_115933.jpg

Edited by Chris M
Rumour added
  • Like 5

18 hours ago, gr.king said:

At about 1.40pm today BBC Look North (East Yorks and Lincs) ran a film report showing the Market Deeping club's vandalised but now repaired Woodcroft layout and mentioned that it would be on show this weekend, although I suspect they failed to say where. If so, another shining example of fair, accurate, carefully checked reporting by the Beeb?

You'll all be relieved to hear that in the half-hour slot from 6.30pm yesterday, BBC Look North in a second, revised run of the film report, "corrected" the error of incomplete information in the lunchtime bulletin - by simply failing to mention at all that the layout would be on show anywhere this weekend, or at any other time.......

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, RichardS said:

Precisely Chris, it's a great inclusive show. I have been hit by a ruck sack but it's no where near the problem in my experience that others make it out to be when finding a reason not to attend. Same as the occasional niffy visitor. It happens everywhere but not a reason not to attend.

I may moan about rucksacks, a problem which I think has got worse over the years (maybe they're bigger now ?) but I've been every year for many years now and it won't stop me going.

Rather off topic but in the same vein are these people with drag along behind cases (but thankfully not at Warley:nono:) who suddently change direction causing their baggage to crash into innocent bystanders, again it always seems to be the other person's fault when it happens.:sorry:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, gr.king said:

You'll all be relieved to hear that in the half-hour slot from 6.30pm yesterday, BBC Look North in a second, revised run of the film report, "corrected" the error of incomplete information in the lunchtime bulletin - by simply failing to mention at all that the layout would be on show anywhere this weekend, or at any other time.......

However if you look at the online version it is mentioned complete with this written text:

The Market Deeping Model Railway Club display was damaged at Welland Academy in Stamford, Lincolnshire, on 18 May.

Following the attack more than £107,000, including a £10,000 donation from model rail enthusiast Sir Rod Stewart, was raised through a crowdfunding appeal to repair the exhibitions.

The display is now due to go on show at the NEC in Birmingham later this week

Earlier this year four 16-year-old boys admitted damaging the display after drinking a bottle of vodka on a "pre-exam night rampage".

EDIT

Sadly I find it is a sign of the times that the BBC news has more in depth coverage on line than on screen and the (red button) text service is now just a truncated off shoot of online content.

Edited by melmerby

4 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I may moan about rucksacks, a problem which I think has got worse over the years (maybe they're bigger now ?) but I've been every year for many years now and it won't stop me going.

Rather off topic but in the same vein are these people with drag along behind cases (but thankfully not at Warley:nono:) who suddently change direction causing their baggage to crash into innocent bystanders, again it always seems to be the other person's fault when it happens.:sorry:

I understand the bag drop facility will be in place again this year. It would be great if those with rucksacks would use it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

For those not paying attention and calling those concerned with travelling down moaners, the trains are going to be severely disrupted ON SATURDAY and they are advising you NOT to travel. Is it worth the risk? Maybe if you have a ticket and accommodation it is. Personally I wouldn't chance it.

Corrected for you, Jason, trains are running "normally" of Sunday. Also Virgin and XC are running a normal service on Saturday. It is not as bad as you make out. NRE will always play on the safe side to try to put as many people off from travelling but you can still get there albeit it will be busier than normal.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Corrected for you, Jason, trains are running "normally" of Sunday. Also Virgin and XC are running a normal service on Saturday. It is not as bad as you make out. NRE will always play on the safe side to try to put as many people off from travelling but you can still get there albeit it will be busier than normal.

That's useful. Maybe I'll park for free at a nearby station & take the train in.

Cheaper than the NEC's car park with it bus service & if I have to get some sort of transport to the venue, I would rather it be a train anyway.

On Sunday perhaps but I wouldn't risk it on Saturday. From last Saturday they were running quite a few trains (I checked at 1700 last Saturday and virtually all trains were running) but as you'd have seen from that earlier post everything run by LNW and WMR disappeared later on at night! Best advise is check on the day.

Edited by Hobby
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I always aim to get to the NEC queue at around 0900 and that has much to do with the time of my (hourly) bus into Brum and the train times out to the NEC.

Sometimes it runs smoothly, sometimes it is a bun fight to find space on a train.

I assume that if the Saturday morning trains are relatively normal it should be alright, last year I even found a seat on a Virgin train on the way there.

The afternoons (say around 1500-1600) from International always seem more packed, as that's the time many leave the Motorcycle show as well.

Does anyone know which of the Traders attending Warley this year will/may have any German TT on their stands??

Normally I'd make a beeline for Contikits, but their not there this year.

Regards

Neal.

• RMweb Premium

I’ve been to the show for most of the previous twelve years, and I’ve never once been close to have been put off by people’s rudeness nor lack of personal hygiene.

It’s not to say either are not evident, but put that many people in a single place and it’s like any other cross section of society, you’ll get the good, the bad, and everything in between. You’ll generally find the same circumstances at a crowded concert, or crowded public transport for that matter. If someone barges you or *insert any other mild physical antisocial rudeness* you could address them, stand your ground, or just let it pass by for the fleeting moment it takes. If someone smells, you could just breath through your mouth, or better yet walk away and return at another moment. Lord knows how we’ve become such an intolerant society over such trivial matters that are so easy to just roll your eyes at and shrug off. 

My only real gripe about the show in recent years has been how much space is available in the aisles between stands and exhibits given how busy it has become (especially on Saturdays), but last year was better and it’s nice to read this year further changes look to have been made.

I did find it odd so much space was unused around the exhibition area given how rammed it could get, but I’m sure there is/was a perfectly logical and rational reason it was so, probably one that’s been mentioned to death on here if I was inclined to find it.

Enjoy the exhibition guys and girls, I certainly will.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Paying for the "void" would need to be paid for..which would probably mean an increase to the door admission costs.

The NEC do charge traders to park their trailers in the "void". 

Baz