Warley NEC exhibition 23rd & 24th November 2019

Chris M

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone received their Programme yet?. Website said would be despatched around about the 13th but not got mine yet :(

Had originally booked the train, as I can get direct to the NEC from Flint and TfW were doing an over 50's return for £29.  Getting there is no problem. Last year though there was a scrum to get on the train from NEC but I eventually got a seat by New St but the train was standing room up to Shrewsbury.   With the industrial action I've decided to drive which will actually save me a good 90 mins each way give or take. Surprisingly, I get a full refund from TfW.

Now even contemplating on staying over and going both days. Too late to get an advanced 2 day ticket etc but the last few times I've gone to Warley I missed so much, that I'm thinking doing the 2 days is the way to see it all.

• Friendly/supportive 1

51 minutes ago, Scottish-Exile said:

Has anyone received their Programme yet?. Website said would be despatched around about the 13th but not got mine yet :(

Had originally booked the train, as I can get direct to the NEC from Flint and TfW were doing an over 50's return for £29.  Getting there is no problem. Last year though there was a scrum to get on the train from NEC but I eventually got a seat by New St but the train was standing room up to Shrewsbury.   With the industrial action I've decided to drive which will actually save me a good 90 mins each way give or take. Surprisingly, I get a full refund from TfW.

Now even contemplating on staying over and going both days. Too late to get an advanced 2 day ticket etc but the last few times I've gone to Warley I missed so much, that I'm thinking doing the 2 days is the way to see it all.

My program arrived on Saturday 

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Barry O said:

Some people will always complain, some people have never been but complain anywhere,

I don't like Marmite, but then again, I've never tried it..................................

In all the years that the show has been at the NEC - I think I've missed two - both because Mrs NB booked a holiday without checking my diary............

Mostly as a visitor - but twice as a layout owner/operator, 5 or 6 times as demonstrator and this year as a trader/support.

It's a weekend I always look forward to.

Roll on the 25th and I can rest...................... ready for 2020.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I’m looking forward to Warley this year - flying in from Spain on Friday.....

Leaving aside the smelly person and the rucksacks..... my tickets haven’t arrived yet and now the West Midlands strike on Saturday..... just a couple of complications. Thankfully we have booked with Virgin Trains and have an allocated seat to get back to London Saturday evening.

As well as the show and my shopping list, I’ve just had an email from Model Rail to say I’ve got a 1/4hr session with Chris Nevada to learn what I am doing wrong with my static grass! Looking forward to that.

I will be wearing plenty of Lynx / Old Spice / Brut 33 on the day, so I can enjoy the exhibition!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, Scottish-Exile said:

The magazines were all posted last Tuesday/ Wednesday. There was a problem with one batch where the address labels were incorrect. This was spotted late last week and magazines for this batch of addresses were posted again earlier this week.  There is no way of knowing if all the address labels in the bad batch were wrong so we sent another magazine to everyone in this batch. One or two of you might get two magazines.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, caradoc said:

One could understand the NEC charging by the area occupied if 'spare' space could be used by/sold to another organisation, but when it just remains empty it seems rather pointless !

Normal commercial practice - you pay for what you use.

If it was any other way small exhibitions could book the largest halls at the same rate.

The halls are all different sizes and charging by the square metre ensures the best use of the space, If they charged per hall Warley MRC would likely end up paying more.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

ADVANCE TICKETS

Please could someone tell me whether these are digital or physical?       I assume they would be digital  as, at this late stage, physical ones won't arrive in time.    Also, if you buy your tickets on arrival are there any additional "booking fees" or is the total cost just the face value of the tickets and a long wait to be served?  

Could someone enlighten me please?   

Thanks

Alan

• RMweb Premium

Had mine a good while ago from Ticket Factory. Show guide and map arrived in the post last week. Now going through the process of marking on the map the points of interest I wish to prioritise so not to miss them.

I’ve done this the previous two years now and it’s a huge help, as I only ever go for one day and always the Saturday, I always used to find I’d missed stuff even after I’d covered the whole area a good few times.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, PupCam said:

ADVANCE TICKETS

Please could someone tell me whether these are digital or physical?       I assume they would be digital  as, at this late stage, physical ones won't arrive in time.    Also, if you buy your tickets on arrival are there any additional "booking fees" or is the total cost just the face value of the tickets and a long wait to be served?  

Could someone enlighten me please?   

Thanks

Alan

Pay on the day is more than buying in advance.

And there is a 30min later entrance.

https://www.thewarleyshow.co.uk/ticketoptions.html

Ticket Factory charge a £2 online booking fee but are open until 21st.

(I assume they are e-tickets)

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

Ticket Factory charge a £2 online booking fee but are open until 21st.

(I assume they are e-tickets)

Thanks.

It turns out that they are physical tickets that, if ordered after the postal cut-off date, are held at the venu for you to collect on arrival.  Whether the queue for collections is the same as the queue for ticket purchase I have yet to determine.  Still, at least I've saved a whole £1-50 by spending an hour and half online, registering and buying two in advance.  

Huh, the modern world .......

• RMweb Premium

Maybe the NEC (and other such large public places) could do what the railway does.

You book online get a reference and pick up your ticket(s) from a machine at the station, using your card that that you paid with.

Could work for all exhibitions, theatres etc. (cinemas already do it)

Just a thought.....

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, newbryford said:

In all the years that the show has been at the NEC - I think I've missed two - both because Mrs NB booked a holiday without checking my diary............

I bet that was an interesting conversation.....

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, PupCam said:

Thanks.

It turns out that they are physical tickets that, if ordered after the postal cut-off date, are held at the venu for you to collect on arrival.  Whether the queue for collections is the same as the queue for ticket purchase I have yet to determine.  Still, at least I've saved a whole £1-50 by spending an hour and half online, registering and buying two in advance.  

Huh, the modern world .......

If you have advance tickets to pick up from the ticket factory you look for the ticket factory desk in the entrance lobby. There should not be a queue for this. 

Edited by Chris M
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

We may not be going now thanks to the RMT

I bought an extra ticket for my better half and we booked rail tickets for Saturday to save having to drive to the NEC

I've received the Warley tickets but I've just had an email saying there may be industrial action by the RMT disrupting and/or cancelling our journey

Typical! 

• RMweb Gold

We are not going this year with the SLS stand (my first personal miss for probably 15 years) but wishing everyone who is going good luck and a safe journey. If you had been expecting to see and buy from our Photo Sales selection the full collection is available by post - all the lists can be accessed from http://www.stephensonloco.org.uk/SLSphotocollec.htm#3

Edited by john new
Extra info added.

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

You book online get a reference and pick up your ticket(s) from a machine at the station, using your card that that you paid with.

That's if:

1. You know what sort of ticket you've bought and have actually read what you are supposed to do (33% failure rate)

2. You have bought it for someone else who doesn't have your card when they try to collect it (33% failure rate)

3. You "think" you've bought an online ticket (similar to (1)) (the other 33% failures)

4. Yep, 1% success rate...

There should just be two options, online (i.e. barcode on phone/tablet) or printed by you. Given any more options people seem to just fall apart! ;) 

It used to be so simple when we didn't have advance/online tickets as all you had to do is wait until the dodger had checked all their pockets, now we have to wait until they've checked all their apps as well... :lol:

Edited by Hobby

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

We may not be going now thanks to the RMT

I bought an extra ticket for my better half and we booked rail tickets for Saturday to save having to drive to the NEC

I've received the Warley tickets but I've just had an email saying there may be industrial action by the RMT disrupting and/or cancelling our journey

Typical! 

Which has been mentioned many times so far in this thread.

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

That's me told, I'd better get my coat and shut up then!

It's industrial action on each Saturday up until near Christmas.

It only affects LNWR & WMR services.

It isn't (so far) total shutdown, just cancellation or delays which seems to get worse as the day progresses.

Last Saturday from New St it was almost normal, first thing, see here:

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/detailed/BHM/2019-11-16/0800-1100?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=LM

7 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Last Saturday from New St it was almost normal, first thing, see here:

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/detailed/BHM/2019-11-16/0800-1100?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=LM

But that's on a STP timetable with about 70% of their normal services running. 

As mentioned above there are ways and means to avoid the crowds if you're committed to going.

• RMweb Gold

We arent going this year as its our grandson Ted's second birthday and we are going to the party - jelly, ice cream, cake and a bubble machine:)

Fellow regulars in the demonstration area will remember me from two years ago when Ted was born on Warley weekend and I was like a dog with two d.......!!

Have fun everyone and play nicely. We will be back next year in some sort of 2mm capacity - -assuming they want us back:)

IMG-20181103-WA0005.jpg.6c346dee746bfa1bd2fbff1f613f66d9.jpg

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, queensquare said:

grandson Ted's second birthday and we are going to the party - jelly, ice cream, cake and a bubble machine

Can I change my plans for the weekend?

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 5