Warley NEC exhibition 23rd & 24th November 2019

Chris M

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, GWR8700 said:

I've just heard about the strike action from West Midlands Railway.  I live in Lichfield and I don't have access to a car right now.  Does anyone know how to get from Lichfield to Birmingham International without a car or a West Midlands Trains Service on Saturday for half 8?

We've cancelled Saturdays rail tickets (awaiting a refund) and have re-booked rail tickets for Sunday instead

It's cost twice as much and the first train is later than we'd like but at least we're not going to miss out completely

I could have driven there but after driving to and from work all week (mostly crawing through traffic) my idea of a day out involves not driving

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
Just now, chuffinghell said:

We've cancelled Saturdays rail tickets (awaiting a refund) and have re-booked rail tickets for Sunday instead

It's cost twice as much and the first train is later than we'd like but at least we're not going to miss out

I've bought my rail ticket for Saturday and will travel by train, also got a lunch packed so I don't have to bother the on site catering.

Wish list & layout/stand lists loaded into tablet.

I'm ready to go.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I've bought my rail ticket for Saturday and will travel by train, also got a lunch packed so I don't have to bother the on site catering.

Wish list & layout/stand lists loaded into tablet.

I'm ready to go.

Unfortunately the tickets we had purchased for Saturday (about six weeks ago) were for one of the times that has been cancelled and are non transferable

We're not going to let it spoil our day out

I don't have a wish list, I'll just be subtly pointing at things to give Sarah ideas for Christmas :lol:

With subtle comments like

"ooo I like that"

"I could do with one of those"

"I don't have that"

"I want that one!"

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

Unfortunately the tickets we had purchased for Saturday (about six weeks ago) were for one of the times that has been cancelled and are non transferable

Mine is a "use any train" West Midlands ticket as the first part of my journey is into Brum from Worcestershire by bus.

Sunday entails a bit of a walk as there is no bus on Sundays!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

am I the only one who doesn't bother with a floor plan and just wanders around aimlessly like a kid in a sweet shop :lol:

No, that's me too!

Then the next day I look at the floor plan and realise there were all sorts of things I should have looked at and questions I should have asked...

I'll be there on Sunday too, wearing my RMWeb badge, of course... :wink_mini:

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, GWR8700 said:

I've just heard about the strike action from West Midlands Railway.  I live in Lichfield and I don't have access to a car right now.  Does anyone know how to get from Lichfield to Birmingham International without a car or a West Midlands Trains Service on Saturday for half 8?

Bus from Lichfield to Tamworth.Then XC to New Street. Virgin or TFW onwards.Good luck and enjoy.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Bus from Lichfield to Tamworth.Then XC to New Street. Virgin or TFW onwards.Good luck and enjoy.

X3 bus direct from Lichfeld to Birmingham New Street (0734 from Lichfield) it's quicker but still not at the NEC for 0830

The earliest bus from Lichfield to Tamworth (0740) gets you to Tamworth Corporation St at 0810 and walk to the station will take a good 10mins the first XC train would arrive at New St later than using the direct bus

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

am I the only one who doesn't bother with a floor plan and just wanders around aimlessly like a kid in a sweet shop :lol:

No, you’re probably in a large majority.

What makes me chuckle slightly, is those who arrive at doors opening and reckon they’ve seen everything by 12:30 or 1:00pm. :rolleyes:

Fair do’s if you’ve seen what you wanted to see, or have had enough, but I cannot possibly see how anyone can have seen half the show in just 3 hours or so.

Having been to about 12 Warley shows at the NEC, it’s one of the reasons why I began to use the floor plan and have a basic plan of action.
It’s also a great time saver, reducing the risk of missing something I might later regret missing.

Ron

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

If I find you I'll say hello :)

If we do find you would you do me a favour and explain to Sarah that only completing 1/8th of a layout in twelve months is about average :lol:

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

1 hour ago, Harlequin said:

No, that's me too!

Then the next day I look at the floor plan and realise there were all sorts of things I should have looked at and questions I should have asked...

I tried it once with a floorplan, there was so much on a floorplan packed onto an A4 sheet that I couldn't figure it out so I gave up and just wandered about.  

I tend to stick to aisles and methodically work my way along - helps that I am not being attracted to all the sweet shops  - just the bookstalls.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, nharding99 said:

Here you go. http://thewarleyshow.co.uk/pdf/2019 Hall Plan.pdf

Just printed it off myself so the page was still open :-)

Just printed a couple of copies off (one for a friend). On mine I will mark those of particular interest to me. 

10 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

I tried it once with a floorplan, there was so much on a floorplan packed onto an A4 sheet that I couldn't figure it out so I gave up and just wandered about.  

I tend to stick to aisles and methodically work my way along - helps that I am not being attracted to all the sweet shops  - just the bookstalls.

I've packed a magnifying glass.

Edited by PhilJ W

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

With subtle comments like

"ooo I like that"

"I could do with one of those"

"I don't have that"

"I want that one!"

I was getting nowhere with the subtle comments.

I now find a very clear and explicit "Right, I'll watch the bags while you go and pay the man" has a better success ratio :dance_mini:

Edited by Scottish-Exile
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

Floorplan exhibiter List.

All,

Feel free to download the Excel sheet I did listing all the exhibits in both Stand Order number and Alphabetical Order.

You can then edit/filter accordingly to highlight your 'must sees'

Enjoy the show everyone.

Warley Exhibits 2019.xlsx

Link below to the spreadsheet.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Skm-j1Tvep1oqoHLxCRR3u2bIw9qX47P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I am looking forward (as I do every year) to visiting the show tomorrow.

I was wondering if any of the organisers could tell me what the date of the show is in 2020?

I have something booked for 21st & 22nd November 2020, so was hoping that if you go by the plan of having the show on the last full weekend in November that I should be able to make it next year (27th & 28th).

Apart from in 2015 when I had a really nasty flu bug, I have not missed a show since I started going 10 years.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

28/2

4 minutes ago, richierailfan72 said:

I am looking forward (as I do every year) to visiting the show tomorrow.

I was wondering if any of the organisers could tell me what the date of the show is in 2020?

I have something booked for 21st & 22nd November 2020, so was hoping that if you go by the plan of having the show on the last full weekend in November that I should be able to make it next year (27th & 28th).

Apart from in 2015 when I had a really nasty flu bug, I have not missed a show since I started going 10 years.

28-29th according to advert in programme

ATB

Chris

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

I’m not going this year as I’m at work abroad....but my technique was 

1) first lap - reconnaissance , mental notes taken 

2) second lap - observation 

3) strike - purchase those bits seen on 1....

A sensible approach but I fear that you may need a more complicated algorithm to take account of shopping targets that might be rare or in short supply. You may need to do a preemptive strike on those based upon pre-show intelligence!

• Like 2