Warley NEC exhibition 23rd & 24th November 2019

Chris M

3 hours ago, caradoc said:

Rail transport issues do not seem to have affected attendance ! A great show as always, thanks to everyone involved.

I tried a new route this year, train Oxford/Leamington/Solihull, X12 bus Solihull/NEC. All transport modes were on time, with seats available, and the bus fare (an all-day rover) was IMHO a very reasonable £4.00. I also managed to buy everything I wanted. 

I did that route some years ago  don't know why I have not used it again.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

On a slightly negative point on the venue not the actual show. The fiasco of buying A ticket first thing this morning it was like they were herding cattle. And don’t even mention the cost to park as I went by car due to the transport issues on the train. But let’s compare this to the great electric train show ( free parking)  and the attitude of some venue staff was appalling how they treat disabled visitors. the future of attending this show is certainly something I will consider in the future  due to its rising costs, maybe controversially a different venue where car parking isn’t so expensive. These thoughts are no reflection to the show itself and did enjoy the layouts and chats I had

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

A couple of very nice pre-Grouping layouts: Blackfriars Bridge - LCDR in the 19th century - and Norwich Central - Great Eastern passenger and M&GN goods; I'm hoping roles will be reversed tomorrow, as there were some splendid-looking M&GN passenger engines lurking behind the scenes!

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, big jim said:

Had a good full day there, just got home, feet seriously aching after walking round in my steel toe cap boots, luckily a colleague was in the stand with the coal hopper so I managed a sit down a couple of times!

as adb968008 said we ended up walking round the show together for a couple of hours after we inadvertently met up on the accurascale stand while I was paying a deposit for the twin pack nuclear wagons (we’ve never met before) nice to meet accurascale fran too (I really should get round to ordering those TPE and sleeper coaches as well as the 37/6 and PFA!!

got me a few bits and bobs, model rail J70 coz it looks stunning! Hornby network rail coaches, Bachmann northern belle BG

as for non rolling stock got me some low relief laser cut buildings and double track OHLE portals and rejoined the Bachmann club 

To anyone else I met today but didn’t mention, nice to meet you all 

Hi Jim curious to know what the ohle portals are made of and where from?

cheers

mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Markwj said:

Hi Jim curious to know what the ohle portals are made of and where from?

cheers

mark

The portals are I assume mdf kits, just got to build them now, they obviously need the registration arms adding, will probably make them from Brass wire

They were £15 for 10 from torri-laser (they have an Ebay shop) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I didn't go to Warley today, I attended the Bike Show in the hall next door. Noticed however when paying for the car park ticket via the machines outside the halls, they ask which show you've attended - answer Skills show or Model Railway show, you'll be charged £16, answer Bike Show it's £12!

Maybe this was just an anomaly today, but make sure you don't click the wrong choice tomorrow...

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Andymsa said:

On a slightly negative point on the venue not the actual show. The fiasco of buying A ticket first thing this morning it was like they were herding cattle. And don’t even mention the cost to park as I went by car due to the transport issues on the train. But let’s compare this to the great electric train show ( free parking)  and the attitude of some venue staff was appalling how they treat disabled visitors. the future of attending this show is certainly something I will consider in the future  due to its rising costs, maybe controversially a different venue where car parking isn’t so expensive. These thoughts are no reflection to the show itself and did enjoy the layouts and chats I had

Taking on board what you say,for the last few years I have used the car park for the railway station which is just a walk over to the NEC at less cost.The NEC staff are what they are.They have a job to do.Sympathy all round here and no reflection on Warley MRC. Unfortunately the show is held at what is arguably the worst time of the year for any  who need to relax to take time for the pleasure of just observation or for informed purchases.

Be that as it may,I pass this year for the first time in 20 years.Couldn’t face Saturday crowd and tomorrow head,to Manchester Airport for Virgin’s  747 as opposed to Pendolino. This obviously being a pre determined choice which ruled out a Sunday at the NEC . Enjoy all who go tomorrow.Maybe next year.? 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Andymsa said:

I'm glad that I'm going by coach tomorrow, no worries about car parking and dropped at the door of the NEC.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TheEastSuffolkman said:

Have to say, with this year being my first time at Warley, I have been very impressed and have managed to grab some good deals. Yes I may ah e been the seconded person at the door this morning :P but this has led to a rather successful and enjoyable day! (Yes, it may have been a bit wallet heavy today but I still came under budget, somehow!)

FABE6DB2-940D-4022-9573-05F6ABE42D2D.jpeg

You ended up underbudget having bought all that? Wow.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

I drove to Birmingham rather than go by train because of the exorbitant charges of Greater Anglia at weekends and the strike action. Rather than pay the even more exorbitant parking charges at the NEC, I found somewhere to park in a side road off Coventry Road about a mile or so away and then got an X1 bus there for free (I've got an Old Fart's Bus Pass). Near where I parked was a Morrisons and a Tesco (both huge) where meal deals for £3/3.50 were available. It saved me being ripped off by the NEC catering.

David C

Professional Skinflint 

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

On 22/11/2019 at 22:06, adb968008 said:

Spoons at noon for the Rmweb drinks / half time natter ?

So that may be why only three of us turned up for the normal Spoons at 13:00 then.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, sleepyrider said:

I didn't go to Warley today, I attended the Bike Show in the hall next door. Noticed however when paying for the car park ticket via the machines outside the halls, they ask which show you've attended - answer Skills show or Model Railway show, you'll be charged £16, answer Bike Show it's £12!

Maybe this was just an anomaly today, but make sure you don't click the wrong choice tomorrow...

Yes, I noticed this over the shoulder of the man using the next machine - unfortunately a few seconds too late to save myself four quid on an expensive (though good) day out. 

Which raises an an interesting question - are Warley MRC aware of this discrepancy?  If they aren’t, it is  surely something they should be taking up with the NEC, because there is no obvious reason why different exhibitions should have different car park charges. If they are aware, perhaps the public should have been told.  If they are aware and complicit (I.e getting a ‘cut’ of the excess) that would be very poor ...

Edited by Willie Whizz
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

A good day and the wider aisles helped as it didn't seem crowded. Quietened down a lot by 4pm so I actually got to see quite a few of the layouts, which was actually my agenda plan for tomorrow.

Spent a hefty whack picking up a Bratchells Class 318 kit, yet another 156 from Charlie at Realtrack and another Arriva 150 DCC fitted dmu from the Bachmann returns stand along with some TEA wagons from Revolution.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Willie Whizz said:

Yes, I noticed this over the shoulder of the man using the next machine - unfortunately a few seconds too late to save myself four quid on an expensive (though good) day out. 

Which raises an an interesting question - are Warley MRC aware of this discrepancy?  If they aren’t, it is  surely something they should be taking up with the NEC, because there is no obvious reason why different exhibitions should have different car park charges. If they are aware, perhaps the public should have been told.  If they are aware and complicit (I.e getting a ‘cut’ of the excess) that would be very poor ...

Some shows such as the bike show pay to subsidise the parking fee for their visitors (which may or may  or be reflected in the ticket price for that particular show) it’s not that the NEC is charging more for the other shows as they get the same overall fee regardless. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 6

1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Taking on board what you say,for the last few years I have used the car park for the railway station which is just a walk over to the NEC at less cost.The NEC staff are what they are.They have a job to do.Sympathy all round here and no reflection on Warley MRC. Unfortunately the show is held at what is arguably the worst time of the year for any  who need to relax to take time for the pleasure of just observation or for informed purchases.

Be that as it may,I pass this year for the first time in 20 years.Couldn’t face Saturday crowd and tomorrow head,to Manchester Airport for Virgin’s  747 as opposed to Pendolino. This obviously being a pre determined choice which ruled out a Sunday at the NEC . Enjoy all who go tomorrow.Maybe next year.? 

Yes I was aware of the railway car park but thought this loophole had been closed by the railway companies. Normally I park at berkswell for free and jump on the train for free (staff).

so another thought occurs for what the cost of parking is and the cost of entry £33.00 in total what could you buy for our railways with that saving. Is this show pricing itself out of the market. I would hate to see this

• Like 3

9 hours ago, adb968008 said:

A few pictures from within the Halls... 

packed as usual.. B46B89CF-C9ED-43F8-A57A-D23C07F2DE51.jpeg.b858bd1dc2676d960abe73d2325479e0.jpeg5D683359-56B0-42C9-8928-934B634016F1.jpeg.17b0c5b805b475944d78f51007749c15.jpeg

There seems to be a lot of restrained excitement about this MGR wagon, maybe a surprise or 3 is coming

DEB1E474-60C2-4FEB-8433-2BD9492641DA.jpeg.05d58d70f3895b74af8d947faeb2ffe4.jpeg

A8EA0EEB-8CF8-472C-9D01-AA48CA54EA67.jpeg.a465983eb87adc99b2b185d7a38b982a.jpeg

last st time I saw this tender...39CBA51E-1FC3-4917-9D1F-3D0EED7410A5.jpeg.7a341751a00668a9c6fac412f2f3fc02.jpeg

it it looked like this...

30701380-55D1-4DDE-813A-DDCCB5BC73D4.jpeg.073022da9d0020927cea82387e2047f5.jpeg

894FEB1A-6F18-4E49-80E1-06944A3AC840.jpeg

4891ABBB-E36D-4053-951A-3C05E5739F15.jpeg

55317FE2-A2FD-4533-BC0C-92A79CB36B8B.jpeg

6E3001DF-88B8-4E36-BE36-064AAD4AB3C1.jpeg

5AD16416-47BA-499C-949C-DE2294246B23.jpeg

FF91536C-16A5-456D-96AB-184268B28A09.jpeg

Dont wish to put a downer on your photos but in one of them you managed to get a woman who's breast feeding her baby at the bottom of the photo

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4