Warley NEC exhibition 23rd & 24th November 2019

Chris M

7 hours ago, bart2day said:

By pointing it out you just drew everyone’s attention to it. I would never have noticed it. 

Plus as has has already been said, if you are breastfeeding in a place people are taking photos then obviously you can’t complain if it’s accidentally papped.

Anyway, nothing to see here. Next post please.

Damed if you do, damed if you don't. Clearly the point has been missed

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, colin penfold said:

Courtesy of my RMWeb gold membership I went to Warley yesterday and saw some wonderful modelling. Highlights for me were Norwich Central, Kimble and Nafferton. I have to admire Nafferton and Norwich for the fact that they are both built by individuals and were exhibiting for the first time. I have to confess a pang of disappointment that Norwich wasn't a club layout. They were such a great bunch of people so willing to engage with the audience as well as brilliant modellers I might well have joined! Plus that GER blue :wub:

I was intrigued by someone else mentioning Norwich Central (presumably a fictitious model of the proposed station of that name connecting GER and M&GN?), but a Google search didn't throw up anything, and nor have I seen many photos on here (apart from your rather fine-looking opener). Did anyone take any? I'm unable to go to Warley this year, so it would be nice to see.

Thanks to everyone for the photos so far - James Petts is a hero in this regard!

Paul 

Edited by Fenman
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Fenman said:

I was intrigued by someone else mentioning Norwich Central (presumably a fictitious model of the proposed station of that name connecting GER and M&GN?), but a Google search didn't throw up anything, and nor have I seen many photos on here (apart from your rather fine-looking opener). Did anyone take any? I'm unable to go to Warley this year, so it would be nice to see.

Thanks to everyone for the photos so far - James Petts is a hero in this regard!

Paul 

No pictures from me, but I did overhear a conversation with the operator that another viewer was having where the operator did say it was a model of the proposed but never built station.

• Agree 3

I had an enjoyable day but there didn't seem to be so many modern image / contemporary layouts as some years. The overseas layouts were once again very good and often took different approaches than the typical British BLTs. 

I wish they would just ban rucksacks. They aren't necessary. There is something very wrong with (often very) mature adults who think it's OK to clobber other people with bags just so they can get to a stall first. What has gone wrong with a country that was once regarded as the most courteous in the world? 

Edited by fezza
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

Ref third picture down of Mr Penfold's post above, might I suggest to the owners of that nicely modelled mill that when folk tut tut about the spelling, they explain that Messrs Thirsk didn't realise until it was too late that the signwriter was a Yank who knew no better?

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

11 minutes ago, fezza said:

What has gone wrong with a country that was once regarded as the most courteous in the world? 

Crikey, how long have you got?

I agree though. People biffing me with their rucksacks this year got a little counter pressure applied to the rucksack and got spun round a few degrees...

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Chris M said:

The show organisers don’t pay it themselves, they either charge all visitors ( including those who travel by train ) more or they charge trade exhibitors more.

Agree that is the mechanism used but it still amounts to a subsidy for the visitor. When I used to go up for computing industry trade shows parking was free, got quite a surprise at the first hobby/leisure show I went to and it was a pay park.

Edited by john new
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, col.stephens said:

How does the Exhibition manager find all of the ninety or so layouts?  Is there a team scouring the UK throughout the year?

I would imagine so, I organise an Exhibition with 50-40 layouts and I ask friends to recommend layouts for me. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Fenman said:

Paul 

Hi Paul, the idea behind the layout is that the proposed GER central Norwich station (which in reality was declined by Parliament under pressure from the Bishop) was built, and the goods facilities were then moved to the same location. I believe that at home it's all GER but for exhibitions the owner knows lots of people with MGNR locos so the yard is owned by that company. Period is immediately pre-WW1. Sorry I didn't take more photos, I'm not really keen on the practice at exhibitions TBH. Hopefully Norwich Central will become a regular on the local circuit too

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, spikey said:

Ref third picture down of Mr Penfold's post above, might I suggest to the owners of that nicely modelled mill that when folk tut tut about the spelling, they explain that Messrs Thirsk didn't realise until it was too late that the signwriter was a Yank who knew no better?

Reading the article about the layout in Railway Modeller, the spelling is authentic and as it's their first exhibition I'm guessing they were getting pretty sick of smart remarks about the spelling by about 10am yesterday.....

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, fezza said:

I had an enjoyable day but there didn't seem to be so many modern image / contemporary layouts as some years. The overseas layouts were once again very good and often took different approaches than the typical British BLTs. 

I wish they would just ban rucksacks. They aren't necessary. There is something very wrong with (often very) mature adults who think it's OK to clobber other people with bags just so they can get to a stall first. What has gone wrong with a country that was once regarded as the most courteous in the world? 

So what alternative to rucksacks is there ? Quite a number bring their own packed lunch.Many make bulky purchases.There is no provision made.....understandably.......for a secure crèche to deposit personal items.

Sorry but we all have to make do with what there is and give and take a little....always,of course,excepting bad manners.

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Gold

I went to Warley once and I took a small (laptop) backpack for some snacks and the purchases i had planned, and not planned, to buy.

There was a lot of contact between my backpack and other people. At first I thought I was being inconsiderate and I made sure my "personal space" was bigger and that I did not got for "gaps" at speed.

People still bumped into me - even when I was not moving!

I came to the conclusion that there was something wrong with their peripheral vision, and that most contact occurred when the other person and finished looking at something and then changed "tack" abruptly without looking first - or they had invaded my personal space only to later find that there was not room for them to spin on the spot without coming into contact with my bag.

I always got a dirty look as if to say it was my fault and i should be more considerate. I always apologised but when out of range would sometimes shake my head a little.

Frequently, when very busy/crowded, I would hold my bag in front of me at knee level - people didn't seem to mind kicking it as i never got any dirty looks after it had been kicked!

Woe betide anybody i discover deliberately interfering with me or my possessions as I would engage them (politely but proportionately) pointing out the error(s) of their ways!

Having said that, I wish I was at Warley this year (I am definitely going next year - Heaton Lodge) but I am in Berlin, at the moment, and have just visited the excellent "Deutsches Technikmuseum".

Finally - Thanks to all who have posted about the show in this thread.

Kev.

(Remember, it takes two to tango!)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

It's like everything Ian, it's not the rucksack Per Se, it's the individual wielding it. Happens everywhere in crowds, not just in model railway shows.  I take a rucksack myself, but it's small and frameless. Change of underwear, sponge bag, travel items and the odd purchase(!) fit in nicely.  I take it off my back and when I get into a crowded area I hold it in front of me where I have control of it and then it's in my personal space not somebody else's.  I pop it on the floor between my feet whilst watching layouts. One alternative I saw a couple of yesterday was a shopping trolley on wheels and they are certainly no better. I also saw someone wheeling a suitcase around. Wide berth given!  I agree with you that rucksack are a part of modern life and banning them is a ludicrous idea.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, fezza said:

So what alternative to rucksacks is there ? Quite a number bring their own packed lunch.Many make bulky purchases.There is no provision made.....understandably.......for a secure crèche to deposit personal items.

Sorry but we all have to make do with what there is and give and take a little....always,of course,excepting bad manners.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

24 minutes ago, colin penfold said:

I take it off my back and when I get into a crowded area I hold it in front of me where I have control of it and then it's in my personal space not somebody else's.  I pop it on the floor between my feet whilst watching layouts. 

And there is the solution to the rucksack conundrum.  Kudos, Mr Penfold.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

And there is the solution to the rucksack conundrum.  Kudos, Mr Penfold.

The same "solution" was mentioned in the post above that one.

I think this whole issue is blown well out of proportion as most people exaggerate the size of backpacks/duffle bags/shoulder bags by continually referring to them as "rucksacks"! 

I must have been to 20 or 30 model railway shows and I have only ever seen 1 rucksack amongst the thousands of bags being worn off the shoulder/on the back.

Kev.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Can we differentiate between rucksacks and back packs? I think we're talking backpacks here, as I didn't see many if any rucksacks (the type used by serious walkers and the military!)

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Nothing wrong with rucksacks  per se but there are rucksack wearers who don't appear to care about others. I would not ban rucksacks, but would ban SOME of those who wear them.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

I am slowly recovering after yesterday's long day. I have significant back and hip pain after such a long time standing up, not helped by having arrived ridiculously early (and therefore being first in the queue!) and having to wait the additional hour and a half before opening.

Lots of good layouts, though many seemed to be having running troubles before I arrived at them (am I jinxed?! But, mention was made of humidity and dust issues.) I have taken to not taking many pictures these days, as I find I miss actually looking at the layouts and absorbing their atmosphere due to concentrating on trying to get pics. Now I try to remember instead, and just take a few photos if I have the energy (which I didn't have by the end of the day yesterday).

Two new additions to my fleet, both run superbly on my test track and are a credit to Messrs Kernow and Heljan:

P1002078a.JPG

Edited by Ian J.
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

I didn't check it was operating this weekend, but this is a facility normally: https://www.thenec.co.uk/visitors/facilities/

the one next to the hall wasn’t open yesterday but the one the opposite side of the entrance lobby was open,  I deposited by dirty RHTT jacket in there, glad I did as it seemed to get very hot in the hall around midday for a short while then cooled down again (must have opened a few small doors!)

Edited by big jim
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, john new said:

Agree that is the mechanism used but it still amounts to a subsidy for the visitor. When I used to go up for computing industry trade shows parking was free, got quite a surprise at the first hobby/leisure show I went to and it was a pay park.

The computing industry has far more money sloshing about than the hobby industry.

A show which is 90% or more trade will get a lot more revenue from stands. A model railway exhibition is typically 50% layout space which costs rather than provides revenue

• Agree 5