Warley NEC exhibition 23rd & 24th November 2019

Chris M

3 hours ago, melmerby said:

This was different:

282487722_iraq1.jpg.1b0e3315ee0af1d7a6659f1815af46e2.jpg

1645843496_iraq2.jpg.1187965026307ae91dcddec70238c3a6.jpg

This was at Spalding a few weeks ago and is an excellent use of forced perspective! Also at Spalding was 'Grantham' which looked very impressive and staffed by seven operators. Sadly, on my three visits to the layout on the Sunday (by when operating gremlins on layouts have usually been solved) there was a lack of action, but just a massive tempting fiddle yard and a loco light engine in the MPD. Hopefully I'll get to see it again on a better day

• Like 1

On 21/06/2019 at 14:25, bike2steam said:

I believe 'Bembridge' will be at Warley this year, nice to know one of my old layouts is doing well, say hello to Mark (Pretious) if you go for a look. :sungum:

the layout picked up 3 invites plus an inquiry from Andy York of BRM about photographing it for one of their magazines

Mark   

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Greengiant said:

He said on his Facebook page he was considering going on Sunday.

Well if it wasn't him he's got a twin brother! :lol:

I don't use Facebook or Instagram etc (I'm too anti-social to use social media)

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

erm, couldn't resist taking this snap from my demo table .......

DSC_1053.JPG.5d463de55cda00d0d4780d529603931f.JPG

And this was Saturday

Perhaps he yomped to Warley to avoid the "horrendous" parking charges and the rail strike...

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

......….We arrived later than planned at the NEC due to awful traffic and after we set up we discovered - NO ROUTE SELECTION!

So we laboured away on Saturday as best we could - one follow-on issue being that we could not deal with other issues because all our time was taken up firefighting the lack of route selection.

None of us are DCC experts, but on Sunday morning before the show opened we managed to borrow Ted Smale of SCC Ltd to come over and review things. I showed him the set up - he said 'personally I always plug my loconet cable into the socket in the back of that unit rather the (identical) socket on the front of that unit.' So we did - and suddenly all the route selection worked!!! And TBH I don't think anyone knew why it suddenly all worked, we were just happy that this simple change had made a huge improvement to running.

As its almost certainly a "UP5" socket: there is a big difference between the front and rear sockets, which is described in the manual.   The rear sockets carry "RailSync" signals, which are essential to the DTM30's you have for routing.   The front sockets lack "RailSync", but instead have DC power (either from the LocoNet or from a DC power pack) for throttles.     As a basic rule of thumb: front sockets of a UP5 are for Throttles only, and nothing else.  

Yes, this is probably "techno-gobble" to anyone who doesn't slog through technical manuals, but explains what you saw. 

- Nigel

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

The "wow" layouts are the ones that you can't see because they are surrounded at least three people deep.

On Sunday that was the "Spirit of Swindon" layout.  A few years ago it was "The Gresley Beat".   Perhaps one day I wll get to see them...

Cheers

Darius

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Also at Spalding was 'Grantham' which looked very impressive and staffed by seven operators. Sadly, on my three visits to the layout on the Sunday (by when operating gremlins on layouts have usually been solved) there was a lack of action, but just a massive tempting fiddle yard and a loco light engine in the MPD. Hopefully I'll get to see it again on a better day

This isn't the thread for it, but on the layout's own thread you'll see that we picked up an intermittent and (so far) untraceable electrical fault in the fiddle yard on Sunday which seriously hampered things from time to time.  Saturday, in fact, we ran pretty well at Spalding.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

16 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

The "wow" layouts are the ones that you can't see because they are surrounded at least three people deep.

On Sunday that was the "Spirit of Swindon" layout.  A few years ago it was "The Gresley Beat".   Perhaps one day I wll get to see them...

Cheers

Darius

Three people deep layouts - must be a GW thing, it was the same with Sydney Gardens.

For wow factor there were a quite a few there but without the crowds:

• The steam/early diesel North American Mauch Chunk PA
  • Chinese Steam/diesel Beijiao
  • Modbury
  • Brinklow
  • Norwich Central
  • The Lochty Branch
  • Blackfriars Bridge Station
  • The Tarrant Valley Railway 
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Nigelcliffe said:

As its almost certainly a "UP5" socket: there is a big difference between the front and rear sockets, which is described in the manual.   The rear sockets carry "RailSync" signals, which are essential to the DTM30's you have for routing.   The front sockets lack "RailSync", but instead have DC power (either from the LocoNet or from a DC power pack) for throttles.     As a basic rule of thumb: front sockets of a UP5 are for Throttles only, and nothing else.  

Yes, this is probably "techno-gobble" to anyone who doesn't slog through technical manuals, but explains what you saw. 

- Nigel

Nigel 

Thanks for that.  I have sent you an email separately ….. we learnt a lot at Warley and my team had the first chance to think about the route selection so they put forward suggestions.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Why does the scale matter? Surely it’s what’s there as inspiration that counts? ;) 

Sorry but I don’t get this fixation with having certain proportions of scale or subject I find a good layout can give me ideas no matter what. I’m a Southern Region Signalman, primarily a narrow gauge modeller, and required by the laws of the SR to treat any Western Region stuff with deep suspicion and yet one of my favourite threads here is Kevin’s Little Muddle. It’s just sublime modelling with a healthy dose of good humour. :) 

There were several layout where the subject wasn’t one I’d consider but still enjoyed the detail and what was running. I missed a few layouts as usual by some photos I’ve already seen but there were 3-4 that alone made me glad I’d seen them and I’m unlikely to catch again. 

As you know I am a very firmly committed Western man (I worked on the Region for a bit over the last 25 years of its existence so need no further examples) but that minor difference apart I agree with everything you've said.  There were some very nice layouts there and some of them definitely had a wow factor all of their own even 'though they didn't fit the '00 British outline' theme that some people seem hooked on.

And glad yoy git your control problem sorted - sounds to me like Tony Wright knows best ;) :jester:

• Like 4
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Robert Shrives said:

Well thanks for all the comments and to end the thread

@Robert Shrives, I admire your optimism!

I was a punter on Saturday then an exhibitor on Sunday (on the Midland Railway Society stand) - many thanks to all involved in organising this behemoth of an event!

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

My RMWeb badge was not a great success, by the way. Not one person showed any sign of noticing it, let alone saying hello, with the honourable exception of Andy Y. But then, he knew I was coming and I walked up to him and, forgetting I was wearing the badge, I said, "Hello I'm Phil, Harlequin from RMWeb".

@chuffinghell our paths evidently didn't cross. Shame because I had a badge for you in my pocket!

And I didn't see anyone else wearing one...

Ho hum <shrugs>

Edited by Harlequin
  • Friendly/supportive 6

1 hour ago, Darius43 said:

Cheers

Darius

Try and find out where they are exhibiting. I've seen quite a few of these "wow" layouts at smaller exhibitions without the crowds, where you can watch them at leisure.

As an example I had Liverpool Lime Street virtually to myself at one exhibition.  :)

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

And glad you git your control problem sorted - sounds to me like Tony Wright knows best ;) :jester:

Yes once we identified the problem we were able to sort it but it was only watching the WiFi scanner that revealed the horde of full power signals that were coming and going and realised why it was randomly locking us out. 

No doubt those people were busy posting that nothing was running on the Harz while their personal hotspot hammered our controllers! ;) 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

But then, he knew I was coming and I walked up to him and, forgetting I was wearing the badge, I said, "Hello I'm Phil, Harlequin from RMWeb".

To be fair I was cornered in that position. :biggrin_mini2:

No, it was a pleasure to chat and you did get to see Giles' wonderful Austin 7 in action, that was my 'wow' moment for this year's show.

Thank you for the badge, it will be out at P'boro!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

No, it was a pleasure to chat and you did get to see Giles' wonderful Austin 7 in action, that was my 'wow' moment for this year's show.

Thanks! Yes, the Austin was something special!

• Like 1

My impression this year was that the layouts on average were not as good as in some previous years but this probably reflects my own preferences to some extent. I thought there were several that were very good, including the Barrowmore American one, whose name escapes me, South Town (two very interesting Wickham DMUs), and Norwich Central. Blackfriars Bridge shows lots of promise and has the added interest for me in that I walk past the location on my way to or from the office, not that much is recognisable today. Several other layouts were good in part but let down in one way or another. For me, big negative points include unrealistic train formations and mixes of periods, as well as poor operation.

I always go on Sunday and it only seemed busy and crowded around lunchtime. I never rely on exhibition catering so can't comment on that.

• Agree 2

A slightly different experience for me this year, as both my daughters wanted to see the GMRC layouts, and my wife then said "well, if you're taking both the girls, we may as well all go". Which meant that the organisers benefitted from an additional adult and child admission fee (my elder daughter often goes with me to exhibitions, but the younger one doesn't), but, on the other hand, younger daughter gets bored quicker so I had to forgo my usual trawl around the trade stands in order to retain family harmony. Which meant that none of the traders got any of my cash this year (although, to be fair, I doubt I'd have spent much anyway as I'm not currently in a position of needing all that much).

Highlights for the children included the GMRC layouts, of course, but also the Lego trains. One layout that appealed to the whole family was the Tarrant Valley Railway, which is full of detailed and amusing cameos, including a mermaid, an unfortunate steam roller accident and the "red barrows" display team! In fact, I'd probably go so far as to say that the TVR was my own personal favourite of the show; I'm a bit of a sucker for narrow gauge anyway and the TVR is one of those layouts which rewards viewing from lots of different angles so that you can take in all the detail. My elder daughter is very much into steampunk so she loved Cato Pass.

I was also impressed by the Solent Summit modular N gauge layout; I'm not generally that much a fan of modular layouts as they can often appear inconsistent and less than the sum of their parts, but this was very well presented and, without being told, you wouldn't realise it was a modular system.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, vulcanbomber said:

it was quite surreal looking at those pictures of Hanaiyah because i realised the hanger in the background is probably the same one as the on he is standing in front of along with rest of 6 sqn in 1954!

6Sqn_1954_02.jpg.6cf3888ce71f5770f80171478e8c0d36.jpg2072644841_6sqnVenoms1954-01.jpeg.f98a7c4d8da558d00001daf2e430370c.jpeg

Completely off topic I know, but im fascinated with your photo of Habaniya - my late Father was there around this time. Im still looking for him on the photo.

• Like 1