Warley NEC exhibition 23rd & 24th November 2019

Chris M

35 minutes ago, Hobby said:

I was thinking of offering my new HOe layout in a year or so's time but from the comments about too much narrow gauge and those wanting modelling perfection I don't think I will bother. :rolleyes:

But then, yours might be the one everybody goes "Wow!" for, and it's the others that represent the "too much" factor!  Go on, give it a go.

As for 'modelling perfection', I tried three times to get a good look at the much-lauded 'Swindon'.  Twice I was defeated by the crowds (and at a show the size of Warley you can only linger so long in any one place if you want to try and see everything); and the third time I did get close but everything then went dark, and nothing moved for several minutes, and then it got light again and still nothing moved; so I said to myself "lovely scenery though" and moved on.  Somewhere else another time maybe ...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

Some more from demonstrations corner:

GK-warley-small-2.jpg

Atlantic 3279 (Resin casting)

GN-warley-small.jpg

LNER4479 (Layout planning)

tw-warley-small.jpg

The irreplaceable Mr. (and Mrs.) Wright

jtw-warley-small.jpg

Slackers' corner.  Photos courtesy Mrs. Wealleans.

Thank goodness she didn't head my way with the camera!! She has cornered a right bunch of retrobates  modellers:jester:

Baz

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

10 hours ago, Chris M said:

The walling is NEC standard partitioning and isn't designed to have anyone lean against it. If someone asks you not to sit against it  it is for your own good.

Well I didn’t mean literally sit leaning against it I just meant the area behind the catering stands.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

Along with others I would like to post a big thank you to all those who have taken the trouble to post pictures and video and reports of the event for those of us who could not attend.

I attended on the Sunday but was only able to view a fraction of the layouts so the videos are useful to me also. If you want to see more videos Google Youtube Warley 2019, theres dozens!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, josh_will said:

Well I didn’t mean literally sit leaning against it I just meant the area behind the catering stands.

Odd as plenty of people were there when I went through with the NEC stewards standing right by them at the entrance to the exhibitors restaurant both days. 

The NEC staff always said it was ok before if you stayed near the entrances to the void from the main hall. 

• Like 3

Here are my photos of the layouts. I did see more but unfortunately didn't get any photos of them. 

I'll have to post them in several posts due to size restrictions.

Sydney Gardens - shame about the derailment.... :D

image.jpeg.2b0228b89b0192cdde0a9007b0bc7f72.jpeg

Loughborough Road

image.jpeg.bc131d3e5bc34d6fc3e153f27ab1bb53.jpeg

image.jpeg.809efcd208018ef156920d916c0fadb1.jpeg

Coed Helen

image.jpeg.124942d56655f68572f00b87ade89659.jpeg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

Along with others I would like to post a big thank you to all those who have taken the trouble to post pictures and video and reports of the event for those of us who could not attend.

I second that. I couldn't be there either thanks to an editorial deadline so am very grateful to those who've taken the trouble to share what they saw.

It would be very foolish to critique a show that I wasn't at,  but I was rather surprised to see so little to make me feel disappointed that I wasn't there. Of course, the things that make for an enjoyable show are often as much about the conversations as the layouts and even the best photos and videos may not capture a layout's true presence. I did though seem to be seeing  a lot of large club layouts with a variety of trains running on main lines through a scene. I know that's what many people really enjoy and several of them were clearly very well done-. I'm no longer all that interested in N. American RRs but I'll certainly look out for the Barrowmore Model Railway Group's Mauch Chunk PA. I'll also look out for Blackfriars Bridge Station which does look interesting (and didn't appear much in the videos and photos).

What I wasn't seeing was the variety of layouts and approaches that tend to inspire me, more a number of variations on the same mainline in a scene theme.  Of course there were many other types of layout there but nothing that really caught my imagination. It is perfectly possible that there were what would have been for me, some real gems that simply didn't get photograped or recorded and this reaction to what others have chosen to feature is purely personal.

Next year we'll see and I'm glad that those who were there seem to have enjoyed it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, josh_will said:

In previous years some relaxation over letting folk "camp out" for lunch in the void area but funnily enough security tighter at shows now so enforced by NEC staff - quite correctly but we had 350 public resting seats in 7 locations in the hall and the catering seats made that roundly a 1000 spaces.  Re admission passes/ stamps on the main entrance to allow access to non hall facilities - "spoons" etc or off NEC property, not sure what else we can do - and fill the hall with 90+ layouts and 200+ traders and other stands.      

I had in hall stand fitters to refit any popped panels - they say the show is like no other and they really enjoy it compared to a "dull trade only show!"  They did fit a few panels but barely into double figures!  But they did tell of shows where things had not gone to plan!!

Robert      

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Winter123 said:

What was the purpose of the HAA coal hopper being parked in the middle of the hall? 

Exhibitors cake storage . .

6 minutes ago, Winter123 said:

Who put it there and was it a 'subtle' hint that a manufacturer will be developing/upgrading the model version?

The Wagon preservation society to gather support for a national collection of important wagon types. 

http://www.nwpg.co.uk/

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Llantrevelyn 

image.jpeg.42a9befeab05d2013b5a71fdc4f8869e.jpeg

North Ballachulish - it was here that I bumped into a member of an organisation totally unrelated to model railways which I shall soon be joining. Ended up bumping into him three times in four days! :D

image.jpeg.8cb40507bc88f836f55d18a4e65a64ac.jpeg

Seven Oaks Mill

image.jpeg.2bddf816268bd8d96d9ed9a6d18ffcd7.jpeg

image.jpeg.d115b47b7b5ea9b741e3673552193cfc.jpeg

Spirit of Swindon 

image.jpeg.815d059ca2f80108bfa86eaf4b661ceb.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Winter123 said:

What was the purpose of the HAA coal hopper being parked in the middle of the hall? Who put it there and was it a 'subtle' hint that a manufacturer will be developing/upgrading the model version?

Yes put simply , Jan 6th was the date on the publicity material on the stand.  No idea who, what scale etc, might be T or 3mm as these do not already have an RTR offering !  The HMA to be correct was well presented and the "boys" on the stand were really proud of one of just a handful of a 11,000 build left "alive."  They asked the other year if we could squeeze them in and were were glad to oblige. The comments about it being a  change from the ubiquitous engine and good to see were frequently reported.     

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

20 hours ago, ikcdab said:

i went to the exhibition on Saturday. Drove from Somerset, bit of a queue to get into the car park at 10am, but nothing unusual. I paid £12 parking in advance - not sure why anyone would pay more on the day.

My impression was of an awfully large number of trade stands with model railways scattered around them. I saw no "wow" layouts this year. Although all were excellent, generally they were small to medium rather than large and exciting!

I also think that trains must run! All too many of the layout just had nothing running or some rather slow shunting going on. the exceptions were the two(?) live steam layouts and the vintage Hornby dublo sets.We do come to see trains running and the operators need to know they are putting on a public show, not there for a social. On some ,layouts the operators were just stood round chatting and not running trains. So please sharpen up.

All that aside, i did enjoy it and will go again!

And yet. It tends to be layouts with plenty of shunting and operational detail that most attract me while those which just have trains running past usually leave me cold. I also far prefer shows where there's a chance to talk to the builder Takes all sorts :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Habbaniya 1941 - what a spectacular model! 

image.jpeg.b807062ae99bea8cc6df8b9f79c9839e.jpeg

image.jpeg.10e3ad00501d03ee139607d19c08da43.jpeg

Cranmore

image.jpeg.74348dbecb78ef2a0c94199796d930cb.jpeg

This layout features both O-16.5 and O9, and shows how even in a very small space you can still have multiple gauges.

image.jpeg.22698ae946b450bbd59d90de905ff7fc.jpeg

Edited by SVRlad
Incorrect info about a layout
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, woodenhead said:

I bought my ticket in advance, not to get in at 9:15 and race to the sales but so I didn't have to queue on the way in.

I bought my advance ticket from A WMRC member at another show.:good:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Robert Shrives said:

Yes put simply , Jan 6th was the date on the publicity material on the stand.  No idea who, what scale etc, might be T or 3mm as these do not already have an RTR offering !  The HMA to be correct was well presented and the "boys" on the stand were really proud of one of just a handful of a 11,000 build left "alive."  They asked the other year if we could squeeze them in and were were glad to oblige. The comments about it being a  change from the ubiquitous engine and good to see were frequently reported.     

Isn't January 6th the date of Hornby 2020 announcements?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, SVRlad said:

Llantrevelyn 

image.jpeg.42a9befeab05d2013b5a71fdc4f8869e.jpeg

This caught my eye as the best execution of a high scenic backscene in close proximity to a shallow board I have ever scene.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

Thank you to all of those who came along and took a polite interest in my resin casting demonstration, especially those who waited patiently after arrival for me to finish conversations that I was already having, before expecting me to divert my attention to their demands. I hope I was able to help others to make a success of resin casting, and I hope that none of my more polite visitors felt that dealings had been cut short by the later arrival of those who should learn more manners......

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4