Warley NEC exhibition 23rd & 24th November 2019

Chris M

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, SVRlad said:

Nancledre - shows how even in a very small space you can still have multiple gauges.

image.jpeg.22698ae946b450bbd59d90de905ff7fc.jpeg

Sorry Liam, that's not Nancledre which was in the next aisle (D6)

The layout illustrated is a demonstration of 7mm Narrow Gauge modelling showing both 0-16.5 on the lower level and O-9 on the upper level. We also had a display of various models  with many built by Tim Allsopp, who also built the demo layout. Sadly Tim passed away in July and the local Area Group of 7mmNGA have agreed to keep his collection together to use on our group layout.

Mike

7mm Narrow Gauge Assn (Stand D10)

• Friendly/supportive 6

2 minutes ago, Mike Bellamy said:

Sorry Liam, that's not Nancledre which was in the next aisle (D6)

The layout illustrated is a demonstration of 7mm Narrow Gauge modelling showing both 0-16.5 on the lower level and O-9 on the upper level. We also had a display of various models  with many built by Tim Allsopp, who also built the demo layout. Sadly Tim passed away in July and the local Area Group of 7mmNGA have agreed to keep his collection together to use on our group layout.

Mike

7mm Narrow Gauge Assn (Stand D10)

Forgive me Mike, I knew the bottom half was O-16.5, but Nancledre was the only layout in that gauge which I saw listed on the show website. I'll edit it in a mo. 

Was it you who gave me a leaflet and magazine promoting the association? If so, nice to meet you! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, SVRlad said:

Was it you who gave me a leaflet and magazine promoting the association? If so, nice to meet you! 

Could have been - I was going to say beard and glasses but that describes at least 3 of us who were there over the weekend !!

The magazines all came from Tim's house clearance as he had kept every copy with each one in a plastic wallet and then in a ring binder for each year - such a shame to just dump them in recycling and so we gave away about 150 over the weekend and went home with an empty box . . . . .

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Nafferton

image.jpeg.4af7f80a804aa408925aacc070173d08.jpeg

Norwich Central

image.jpeg.f5ad8ab614fc38dc800c4c154913c15a.jpeg

Weaver Hill

image.jpeg.54c0bfd17fd7f9b4aecd6b0004dc1b6e.jpeg

I saw quite a few more but unfortunately didn't get any photos. These included A Remote Depot, City Limits and NE Corridor, Tan-y-Bwlch, Llangenydd, Cato Pass and Mauch Chunk PA. 

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Willie Whizz said:

But then, yours might be the one everybody goes "Wow!" for, and it's the others that represent the "too much" factor!  Go on, give it a go.

As for 'modelling perfection', I tried three times to get a good look at the much-lauded 'Swindon'.  Twice I was defeated by the crowds (and at a show the size of Warley you can only linger so long in any one place if you want to try and see everything); and the third time I did get close but everything then went dark, and nothing moved for several minutes, and then it got light again and still nothing moved; so I said to myself "lovely scenery though" and moved on.  Somewhere else another time maybe ...

Like youI never saw anything much of it as there was always a crowd around it.

I went for both days (as usual) and still missed some I would liked to have had a good look at.

Sunday afternoon at 1400 or so is usually quiet enough, but not this year.

Conversely the long US N gauge layout I was able to see all of, in sequence, at the height of Saturday's crush.

What was wrong with it? I thought it was well done with a nice mix of trains, several at a time, which couldn't be said of some of the other exhibits.

One of  the funny layouts was the micro roundy-roundy of 4 seasons on a rotating base.

I think the guy missed a trick as he could have had his train running around whlst the diorama rotated electrically in  the opposite direction to keep the train in view whilst the scenery went past. (he was turning it manually)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jwealleans said:

Some more from demonstrations corner:

GK-warley-small-2.jpg

image.png.703dd9400984ec1e238d88442babbaa4.png

Now was that "Home Baking" or  "Cooking up a Stew"

Like the silver butler's tray:)

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

This caught my eye as the best execution of a high scenic backscene in close proximity to a shallow board I have ever scene.

Andy I agree it is very well done and looks excellent in the photos, but unfortunately one I missed in the flesh

I also thought Modbury pulled off the transition to backscene quite well too.

Andy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

I would like to thank Callum for posting this - as a layout owner myself I was there for the whole two days but I only saw the layouts that lay between my layout and the loos!

Many thanks indeed! Glad it was of interest. Even as a visitor I found it hard to get around myself (in a good way) Got a few videos of the manufacture stands to come :)

• Like 1

In the interests of a bit of constructive criticism for the Warley team , a detail has flooded back to my memory regarding the very useful exhibition maps dotted around the hall.

An admirable idea and of much assistance, however on the one occasion I did use one,  I headed off in completely the wrong direction as I had failed to notice that the map had the entrance on the left , whilst I knew that as I looked at the map, the entrance was physically to my right.  I only realised this when I went back to the map to work out where I had gone so spectacularly wrong. How can you get lost turning left and second right?

Now I'm not sure if the maps stands were double sided (I never checked) and do match and this one was just back to front, in which case a simple solution beckons

Only a small thing, but very confusing, (messed with my head anyway)  perhaps for next year maps that match the orientation of the hall as you look at it would be a small but useful improvement.

Andy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Just a 'me too' post to thank the snappers and videoists who have taken the trouble to post on here. So much of Warley looks smashing!

I am sorry if some visitors thought there was a lack of wow for them - I have seen plenty of pics on here to whet my appetite for a visit if it were ever possible.

This thread encompasses a whole spectrum of feelings, from the rucksack and personal hygiene issues, through food quality and bum-perch shortages to chest-thumping bargain victors. All human life is there!

I hope Robert and his valiant crew find the numbers in their bottom line are all positive. Getting that lot in line in time is quite some feat. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

Have to say enjoyed the show a lot on the Sunday, compared to the last few year's it has been on the Saturday as well to.

Also good thing for the NEC, it seemed at least the Disabled Parking was a bit better sign posted and the staff come across was decent and nice as well to.

Have to say loved Sud Harz and the American N Gauge layouts as well as different and interesting to. Come away with some Purchases as well, Being Rapido's new bus (With the lights), Bittern on the 1:1 collection, to go with the Oxford Rail's Railgun the K5 Krupp sold at the Hornby Stand and a BR 151 Heavy Freight Loco' from Scograils to.

IMG_4582.JPG

IMG_4889.JPG

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Harlequin said:

My RMWeb badge was not a great success, by the way. Not one person showed any sign of noticing it, let alone saying hello, with the honourable exception of Andy Y. But then, he knew I was coming and I walked up to him and, forgetting I was wearing the badge, I said, "Hello I'm Phil, Harlequin from RMWeb".

@chuffinghell our paths evidently didn't cross. Shame because I had a badge for you in my pocket!

And I didn't see anyone else wearing one...

Ho hum <shrugs>

Yes it was a great shame, we did look out for you.

I hoped to shake your hand and thank you in person for helping me with my layout planning :(

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Exhibitors cake storage . .

The Wagon preservation society to gather support for a national collection of important wagon types. 

http://www.nwpg.co.uk/

The HAA seemed to be lacking the tyre marks of the wagon handling devices that were used before slw speed control locos existed.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, 96701 said:

The HAA seemed to be lacking the tyre marks of the wagon handling devices that were used before slw speed control locos existed.

I’m glad the hopper was there as the lads let me have a sit down with them when I got fed up of walking round!

it ended up as a GBRF staff meeting as I ended up meeting fellow driver and Rmweb member Erixtar1992 at the wagon, one of the wagon group guys was one of my trainee drivers last year, another is a shunter and the 3rd guy is starting with GBRF as a trainee driver in January and is likely to be my next trainee, then as we were chatting our boss walked up and joined in the chat too! 

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Umbridge which won the Hornby Modern Image prize

(Nice bit of detail with the Historic Vehicle display bottom right)

1354957535_Umbridge1.jpg.085accd651f7abb0b31465cc33602e3b.jpg

Detail of allotments:

1846584578_Umbridge1A.jpg.c913908b3d32221833d1086c4b16b744.jpg

Detail of Market Place:

2083022924_Umbridge1B.jpg.8403e2966572441777263459d8e0032f.jpg

2076176681_Umbridge3.jpg.d8b8c8bec26bf035edc12abf5ae09cab.jpg

291817021_Umbridge4.jpg.867c9c21845b3381e0c44350e565b69a.jpg

1631441602_Umbridge5.jpg.82665fc370b8db432d89d96d38af982e.jpg

1198933638_Umbridge6.jpg.7031524a4b3b532cf509daf0ced41a68.jpg

1385312536_Umbridge8.jpg.8cbefbeccd92b07a9461af7ead4fc5ac.jpg

204880963_Umbridge8A.jpg.9d901a0c820ed0f7170e0ef8d59cc49d.jpg

1645216405_Umbridge9.jpg.6428630ed68e9d2016f7b8d782c3d40c.jpg

1788664735_Umbridge10.jpg.8cf2cf084c24a48cd664547cc25e79a0.jpg

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Colin_McLeod said:

I saw this article this morning. Nice to see that the guys at Market Deeping have got some of their layouts restored and attending at Warley.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/11/25/model-railway-exhibition-destroyed-vandals-rebuilt-using-107000-donations-11213241/

And featured on last night's 'One Show' with Sir Rod in attendance.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I'll echo the thanks of others for those of you posting pics/vids for the appreciation of those of us who didn't attend.

I hope those bemoaning the lack of a layout with WOW factor have booked tickets for next year when a certain little 0 gauge layout will be in attendance?

Mike.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I'll echo the thanks of others for those of you posting pics/vids for the appreciation of those of us who didn't attend.

I hope those bemoaning the lack of a layout with WOW factor have booked tickets for next year when a certain little 0 gauge layout will be in attendance?

Mike.

Mike,

For those of us not in the know, which layout are you referring to?

Graham

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

I saw this article this morning. Nice to see that the guys at Market Deeping have got some of their layouts restored and attending at Warley.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/11/25/model-railway-exhibition-destroyed-vandals-rebuilt-using-107000-donations-11213241/

Market Deepings layout "Woodcroft"

2078371282_Woodcroft0.jpg.1ec99c7255d6cebdaad90796aba749b2.jpg

1801193568_Woodcroft1.jpg.911b478daff92207fc2de45e9e0f5a12.jpg

1200894875_Woodcroft2.jpg.a977210d240b1147229055694d67445b.jpg

• Like 15
  • Agree 1