Warley NEC exhibition 23rd & 24th November 2019

Chris M

Now I did say that I wasn't going to post here any more, but I have just woken up and TBH I'm speechless - and that rarely happens!

When someone posted the link to the German YOUTUBE channel's Warley 2019 video - 90 minutes of the best layouts at Warley - I was slightly disappointed that Beijiao wasn't featured as the guy had visited us late on Sunday and seemed happy with what we laid on for him and yesterday I contacted him to ask why we didn't make the final cut and he replied it was because he did a separate 12 minute video just of my layout - I have just seen it and I am completely lost for words.

Now I must admit that I can only see the flaws and faults and mistakes, but nevertheless if he thought it was worthy of a 12 minute video all by itself then we must be getting something right.

I have seen his Warley video and he does show layouts with operating problems and by that I mean if there is a derailment or a glitch with a layout he still shows it - he doesn't shout 'TAKE TWO' - and so it was with our  layout. Our USP, the double banked coal train up the 1/30 grade out of the station ran pretty perfectly for two days  - except when he videoed it! The two bankers briefly became disconnected from the train and then caught up - I swear this was the only time this has ever happened in four exhibitions!  Also he came very late on Sunday by which time we had removed quite a few of the China Rail trains , so you do see the same diesel trains quite a few times. But here it is any way ……………...

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

A really enjoyable show again this year.  Switched back to going on Sunday, much, much more pleasant and enjoyable.

I arrived just before 10 and stayed until kicking out time.  I'm sure looking at everyone's pictures and videos I've missed stuff again this year.  I go with a plan, and then just wander round aimlessly for hours.

A bit late to the party with the photos.  I will get round to naming them and captioning them.  But I was concerned that they would never get posted.

The following is a link to my Flickr album:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/trickymundo2009/albums/72157712034901118

Edited by 87004
Struggling with link embedding...
  • Like 1

On 02/12/2019 at 19:31, TEAMYAKIMA said:

When someone posted the link to the German YOUTUBE channel's Warley 2019 video - 90 minutes of the best layouts at Warley - I was slightly disappointed that Beijiao

Where is that 90min Video? I've searched thru this topic and the Pennula Youtube Channel and can't find it anywhere!

Colin

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

For those, like me, living outside the UK and can't get BBC catch up, here is the One Show interview with Rod Stewart and the Chairman of the Market Deeping Model Railway club.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157587803202696&id=26363622695

Edited by Colin_McLeod
typo
  • Thanks 10

An LNER modeller at the show looked genuinely very disappointed to find that he could not get some resin parts from me for a particular loco model conversion. In response, Santa and his elves have re-made a mould and test-cast the necessary parts, which I can now supply to him if he'd like to contact me again.

N.B.   Contact by PM or e-mail please, as I may not manage to monitor this topic for "open forum" replies....

Edited by gr.king
Clarification
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 01/12/2019 at 14:52, lmsforever said:

Cant understand people  ignoring a layout just because its not a UK  the operators owners have worked hard to produce it and deserve a thank you for showing it to us all.

Personally I don't feel obliged to spend my time looking at layouts that don't appeal to me "just because the owners have worked hard to produce it".  In any exhibition situation people effectively offer their creations for the possible interest of the attendees but it is not their right to expect those attendees to express that interest and spend time looking and possibly discussing them.  If an exhibitor is just looking for a "Pat on the Back" they are doing the whole thing for completely the wrong reason IMHO!

On 01/12/2019 at 15:03, Hobby said:

I don't take that view, though. Any decent general exhibition will have a variety of layouts to suit most needs. Whilst i may take a quick glance there are certain types of layouts I will normally by-pass such as Modern Image TMDs and American shunting layouts. Neither do anything for me. OK I may miss out on the odd gem but such is life, I'd rather spend my time looking at something that interests me. Is that wrong? I don't know, it's just what i do. Life's too short! :)

Absolutely spot-on! 

Let's not be "Prototypest" or "Layout Typest" (made up words I know ...) but personally I can't get excited by 3 rail layouts, Lego layouts, children's Thomas the Tank Engine layouts.   I feel no guilt that I did not stop to look (didn't even slow down) at such things even though someone had lovingly took time to collect/assemble/create such things.  Clearly the organisers think that a suitable percentage of the visitors will enjoy them and thus justifies their inclusion and sobeit.  But please don't expect everyone to think how wonderful they all are.  I prefer to spend my time looking at what I consider to be fine modelling, realistic, interestingly engineered etc exhibits but that's just me.   I generally prefer British layouts and particularly prototypes I'm familiar with but there are some spendid "foreigners" and Mauch Chunk is just one such current example that appeals to me.  There are plenty of British and foreign layouts that don't.

Show me the person who say's they spent an equal amount of time examining every exhibt (yes, that includes all the demos and traders because they work hard too) and I think I could possibly show you a liar.

Anyway, each to their own.

Alan

Edited by PupCam
  • Like 4
  • Agree 5

8 hours ago, PupCam said:

If an exhibitor is just looking for a "Pat on the Back" they are doing the whole thing for completely the wrong reason IMHO!

At an exhibition there is nothing better than having people tell you they love your layout, especially if they say it is the best layout in the show for them or if they say it has inspired them to get on and build something. My reason for taking a layout to a show is to spread some joy so seeing a positive response to my work is quite possibly what I am looking for.

• Like 7
  • Agree 4

Hi

Can I on behalf of the Signalling Record Society whose stand I organise thank the whole team who organised and run the recent Warley show. The whole process was exemplary - great communication and assistance from Duncan Petford who was the Society and Trade Liason. Set up and break down again easy thanks to the organisation and skills of the traffic marshalls. As it was the overall organiser'S first show I think he did an excellent job.

It was for us a successful show and we were able to help with all manner of signalling related enquiries as well as sell some of our own products. It gives people a chance to see our products first hand but also more importantly it gives people the chance to elicit knowledge of signalling or point them in the right direction. If we want to promote and improve the profile and standards of layout signalling then it is vital that there are people able to answer queries without being patronising or demeaning but with authority and enthusiasm.

Also important are the fellow operators in your area, namely InterCity 125 Group, Swindon Panel Society, Ian Futers and team, Dave Tailby and team, Hyde Lane team, Mill Bank Alley team and last but not least Kelly and team with the DEMU Roadshow. A harmonious posse of stands makes our experience so much nicer as there is usually not a lot of space so we all tend to have to muck in together.

From our position it looked like a good attendance. Indeed when seeing the enormous crowd waiting outside in the foyer to be let in you could almost feel physically the anticipation. The attendees looked to encompass all members of society- male, female, young, not so young and all in between. There were families and teenagers all with one aim- to enjoy a great show which I am sure they did.

The usual case that I didn't get to see the show in the detail that I normally would but that is to be expected. I could barely walk at the end of the day- and it is a long day for exhibitors- as a result of my back and knees playing up and a dose of bilateral acute achilies tendinitis. But it was all worth it and assuming that we get an invite for next year, I can't wait to do it again.

• Like 7

On 06/12/2019 at 05:50, Chris M said:

<snip>At an exhibition there is nothing better than having people tell you they love your layout<snip>

I'd agree with that but if somebody doesn't like my layout or walks on by I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep.

In fact I've no problem at all with constructive criticism ..not so constructive?.. well, if you're willing to put yourself in the firing line you've gotta take the odd "honest" opinion on the chin IMHO.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

On 04/12/2019 at 12:03, Colin_McLeod said:

For those, like me, living outside the UK and can't get BBC catch up, here is the One Show interview with Rod Stewart and the Chairman of the Market Deeping Model Railway club.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157587803202696&id=26363622695

Strange thing was I normal watch the first couple of minutes to see who is on it. But it wasn't on, it was a programme about walking in Yorkshire....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000cd03

Jason

1 hour ago, Colin_McLeod said:

The Facebook link that I posted and you quoted does work.  I don't know where your link came from.

I was pointing out the programme that replaced the One Show. We didn't get it.

Went straight from local news into a programme on walking in Yorkshire. Possibly with a Party Political Broadcast in between (can't remember).

Jason

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Ross34 said:

I'd agree with that but if somebody doesn't like my layout or walks on by I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep.

In fact I've no problem at all with constructive criticism ..not so constructive?.. well, if you're willing to put yourself in the firing line you've gotta take the odd "honest" opinion on the chin IMHO.

Back when I entered club photographic comps I always thought a bad judge comment made you think - is he/she right?  If I disagreed then it caused a revaluation of what I’d done.  Sometimes I did think they had a valid point and took notice for the future.

A bad crit’ is always of value if you evaluate it. Sometimes (often) it is just prejudiced b*****s but not always. 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1