Warley NEC exhibition 23rd & 24th November 2019

Chris M

57 minutes ago, Ian J. said:

Can we differentiate between rucksacks and back packs? I think we're talking backpacks here, as I didn't see many if any rucksacks (the type used by serious walkers and the military!)

Did anyone else see the guy in flip flops and a wheely suitcase that clearly took a wrong turn when getting off the train?

On a serious note - personally found this year to be quite unpleasant up to around 14:30. It was simply too busy, very stuffy and not very enjoyable at all, and that is from circa 20 years of Warley experience having not missed one from previous years. The space between exhibits in certain instances was tight at best given the amount of people trying to funnel through there. I am only thankful for the fact that I don't require mobility assistance - imagine it was horrendous for the people that actually do.

Why have conventional tables and seating been replaced with clunky, large wooden benches that take up an awful lot of seating room in an already tight space, with a large corner of the room left completely empty? 

Right at the end of the show with about five minutes left, a gentleman with a Welsh accent representing the club with the word STEWARD on his back rather unkindly and patronisingly ushered us to start making our way to the front as the doors would be closing promptly at 18:00. 

Edited by Trojmiasto
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

29 minutes ago, Chris M said:

A model railway exhibition is typically 50% layout space which costs rather than provides revenue

Or to look at it from a different angle, it's the layouts which bring in the punters (and money), without them it's just a toy fair! ;) 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, brenn said:

Hi All those of you that went to Warley

can you please list for me all the new announcements made as it would be handy to have them in one place

thanks

b

If you take the time to read at least back to page 13 of this topic you will find the relevant information.

• Agree 3

7 minutes ago, brenn said:

can you please list for me all the new announcements made as it would be handy to have them in one place

thanks

b

This is the best place for details on each project too. Anything dated for the 23rd was announced at Warley 

https://www.hattons.co.uk/news.aspx?type=2

Hornby also announced their class 66 being produced in the same liveries as hattons just announced for their 66, Royal Scotsman, One pink, cemex and freightliner orange. 

KR Models (who's making the GT3) announced the Fell loco. 

Model rail magazine are going to be making the Vale of Rheidol locos in 009 as an in house project rather than commissioning a manufacturer like in the past. No further details as yet. 

Locomotion models showed a sample of 9400 in GWR livery as part of their national collection in miniature collection. 

Edited by Pre Grouping fan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, brenn said:

thanks

b

There is lots of information on World of Railways - https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/news/

I get to spend today uploading photos. Whoopee.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

Whilst (like last year) there weren't any truly 'innovative' layouts (GMRC aside), it was a good show, and follwoing my usual technique of starting at the back and working forwards meant I managed to avoid most of the crowd (although I heard one of the staff on the Bachmann returns stand saying visitor numbers/people coming to the stand seemed quieter than normal). Yes, there were a few layouts where not much was happening (in a show this size, that's pretty much inevitable, especially just after opening time), but not many.

The GMRC layouts were excellent (and I briefly saw Kathy Millatt but didn't get chance to speak to her), and the long American N gauge layout was good, and for its size worked much better than I expected. Though for me the star of the show had to be the 'Norwich' layout, just for the amount of activity on it.

Bargain of the day was a Bachmann 4500 class for £28 (though I haven't run it yet....) and I also picked up the big book on the history of WG Bagnall & Son from the Vale of Rheidol stand for £20 at the end of the show (just carrying it back to the station and then home at the other end was far enough!).

Big surprise on the way to the show - got to Reading station at 7am, down on to Platform 12 to hear the announcement 'The next train on Platform 12 is not for public use' - and 44871 came through on a charter! On the way up, got chatting to the chap who wired Jools Holland's Minic Motorways up for him...

The journey back was eventful for other reasons - got back to Birmingham International to find the 1814 was cancelled and the next train not for another hour. Realising that that train was likley to be packed, I opted instead to catch the next train to Coventry (in hope of having a seat for that stretch, which I did), and arrived at Coventry to discover a service from Nuneaton to Leamington was about to come in. Hopped on that to Leamington (calling at Kenilworth on the way - a new station for me), and got there just in time for the 1900 cross country to Reading (which had come via Solihull). So what could have been an hour's delay ended up being only 20 minutes and still back home at a decent time :-)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, john new said:

Agree that is the mechanism used but it still amounts to a subsidy for the visitor. When I used to go up for computing industry trade shows parking was free, got quite a surprise at the first hobby/leisure show I went to and it was a pay park.

Every trade show I've attended at the NEC has always had free parking, albeit computing, engineering, packaging, etc. These, generally, are not open to those outside of the relevant industries.

If I am unable to dump my rucksack with a friendly exhibitor, I wear it as a vornsack! Phil: I'll say no more

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Willie Whizz said:

Which raises an an interesting question - are Warley MRC aware of this discrepancy?  If they aren’t, it is  surely something they should be taking up with the NEC, because there is no obvious reason why different exhibitions should have different car park charges.

Instead of dropping the parking price for Warley to twelve quid next year, I can see the NEC whacking up the parking price for the Bikers to sixteen quid.

I'd take a pick-axe handle next year, cos' I've a feeling the Angels may be paying Warley a visit........

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, colin penfold said:

Courtesy of my RMWeb gold membership I went to Warley yesterday and saw some wonderful modelling. Highlights for me were Norwich Central, Kimble and Nafferton. I have to admire Nafferton and Norwich for the fact that they are both built by individuals and were exhibiting for the first time. I have to confess a pang of disappointment that Norwich wasn't a club layout. They were such a great bunch of people so willing to engage with the audience as well as brilliant modellers I might well have joined! Plus that GER blue :wub:

I also got some great advice in a chat with the loco clinic man on the Gauge O Guild stand, which will hopefully help with my Ilfracombe Goods build.

Plus I tried a very nice local beer on Friday night.

Just to clear up the practicalities I didn't knowingly see or photograph anyone breastfeeding, I wasn't hit by and nor did I hit anyone with a rucksack, altough I was forced into close quarters with someone who smelt strongly of urine whilst queuing to get in. I didn't pay for car parking and had an excellent journey both ways on National Express combined with Abellio Greater Anglia. The food and drink I had was as expensive as at any big event, but I enjoyed what I had. Thanks to the Warley club for a really well organised show.

2019-11-24_08_57_32.jpg.94c06f8eb84519d34587ba786a283ac2.jpg

2019-11-24_08_55_17.jpg.8f256373c926db4a53f5aa2c43335a99.jpg

2019-11-24_08_54_14.jpg.789b6cb07bc5dca68b7263640bcdb4aa.jpg2019-11-24_08_56_57.jpg.739b68b2ce4a289353df073cf9a81e5a.jpg

and the Greens won 2 - 1 so all is dinky doo. Thanks for pic, except the last one as I am envious.

P

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, big jim said:

the one next to the hall wasn’t open yesterday but the one the opposite side of the entrance lobby was open,  I deposited by dirty RHTT jacket in there, glad I did as it seemed to get very hot in the hall around midday for a short while then cooled down again (must have opened a few small doors!)

I had noticed that too, after about an hour in the hall I was feeling rather hot, but then at around 13:00 it became pleasantly cooler, and when my class 20 was being serviced by Redgate Models of this parish the temperature was very ambient. 

1 hour ago, RJS1977 said:

(although I heard one of the staff on the Bachmann returns stand saying visitor numbers/people coming to the stand seemed quieter than normal

I think that's because they were a little optimistic with their pricing for used, sold as seen, short/no  warranty goods which could be purchased literally within a few feet but without any of the aforementioned negatives.

• Like 1

Just now, Chrisr40 said:

I think that's because they were a little optimistic with their pricing for used, sold as seen, short/no  warranty goods which could be purchased literally within a few feet but without any of the aforementioned negatives.

Prices dropped at the end of the day two of our group picked up 009 Baldwins for 60 quid each!

I went to the show on Sat for the first time but unfortunately was not in a position to buy the early bird ticket since it was a last minute decision to attend.

I arrived about 0915 and as someone has already mentioned, once ticket purchased was herded and shouted into a corner to await the 0945 entry.

Once in I managed to quickly get around some layouts and trade stands but within 30-40 mins there were loads of people coming in.

I left at at 1230 since the place was now very busy and hot, there was a lot of jostling to get along one side of the arena where people were going in opposite directions down a narrow alley between exhibits/trade stands.

I also found standing 3-4 deep trying to see exhibits or get to trade stands a bit unpleasant and not very enjoyable.

I'm afraid I won't be back since I didn't find this relaxing or fun, I prefer the smaller exhibitions which obviously don't attract the big crowds.

On a positive note the layouts I did see were were well presented and run, plenty of trade stands if you get to them and approachable people at the demos etc.

Well done to all involved. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

9 hours ago, TheQ said:

The show I've most attended at the NEC is Crufts,  which takes 6 halls of the NEC and the arena. (you think you've got problems getting round one hall of the show!!!) This unfortunately has the same parking fees.

There is nowhere else outside London ( even more expensive,  ) Manchester or Glasgow ( which has its own show) that is capable of taking this show.  It's also just a club show,  local to Warley MRC.  So they need to find a place nearby where all their volunteer members can do the organisation. 

The NEC no doubt has to pay huge rates to the local council,  they have to pay all their staff,  which will be many people compared to a smaller place.  Could you imagine Warley MRC,  rounding up enough members,  and members partners to run a big enough T Bar for a show of this size?  Sadly I see no way they can reduce their prices.  Our hobby doesn't have enough big businesses involved to obtain much sponsorship. 

This leaves the only way to reduce costs,  is to bring your own lunch, and choose cheaper transport.  Some sailing clubs, I belonged to, organised buses / mini buses to shows,  that surely would be the cheapest way of visiting.  Followed by car sharing. 

I wasn't complaining about the cost of admission to the show.  I wasn't even complaining about the cost of the parking - though £16 in the open air is, frankly, perilously close to a rip-off even with free transport.  What concerned me was the inequity of another exhibition in exactly the same conditions being £4 cheaper to park.  I wasn't aware that some exhibitions apparently subsidise their visitors' parking costs, though that seems unfair on those who don't come by car (or motor-bike).  I fully appreciate why Warley MRS cannot do that, and that the charge levied by the NEC is out of their control.

I do think next year though I shall be checking out what other exhibitions are on and whether they're offering parking for less.  Then as I stand at the ticket machine I shall weigh my conscience against any sense of being ripped-off I may be feeling ...

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I went yesterday, arrived around 10:15, into the halls around 10:30.

No problem with my Virgin service in, no issues getting to any exhibits and no issues with other people.

I did get into a conversation with a chap about it being busy and I said it would quieten down as the afternoon progresses and it did.

I left at 17:15, got my return Virgin at 17:53 and no issues, in fact with West Midlands on strike the station seemed positively quiet.

Didnt spend a penny yesterday apart from a pasty for dinner.

On the topic of the Bachman scrum, the prices are guides, haggle and you get better prices especially if you buy more than one item.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, RBC said:

I went to the show on Sat for the first time but unfortunately was not in a position to buy the early bird ticket since it was a last minute decision to attend.

I arrived about 0915 and as someone has already mentioned, once ticket purchased was herded and shouted into a corner to await the 0945 entry.

Once in I managed to quickly get around some layouts and trade stands but within 30-40 mins there were loads of people coming in.

I left at at 1230 since the place was now very busy and hot, there was a lot of jostling to get along one side of the arena where people were going in opposite directions down a narrow alley between exhibits/trade stands.

I also found standing 3-4 deep trying to see exhibits or get to trade stands a bit unpleasant and not very enjoyable.

I'm afraid I won't be back since I didn't find this relaxing or fun, I prefer the smaller exhibitions which obviously don't attract the big crowds.

On a positive note the layouts I did see were were well presented and run, plenty of trade stands if you get to them and approachable people at the demos etc.

Well done to all involved. 

I know what you mean about standing 4 deep, but if you had persevered around 2 it started to thin and I managed to see everything and by 4 was even better. In fact the crowds was so bad my first look round I missed so much but later found things I had missed. So a reflective look, do you get there first thing or wait until later in the day, but the main reason I go is to meet certain traders and have a brief chat look at the layouts and get those certain items I want but at the end of the day, seeing the layouts and getting inspired would be all I lose if I didn't go. The other things I can do at anytime, but this is where shows like the great electric train show is scoring over warley although smaller was much better I feel.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I Investigated the car park pricing difference online before visiting. The organisers of the motorbike show partially subsidise the parking for their visitors - hence the lower rate. From the motorbike live website:

10578E91-92A2-4342-B78D-657E1C2EC42C.jpeg.9f6d87d524450511f467352412b05280.jpeg

Edited by Dan Bennett

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Good to see the WCRC 37 is due soon. 

I agree though it’s mixed feelings now...

Jam today or Gold tomorrow ?

we have a choice of 37’s and inevitably a WCRC will be one of them at some point.

I was put off buying an Evening Star 66 @£125 today for the same reason.

Edited by adb968008