Warley NEC exhibition 23rd & 24th November 2019

Chris M

On 25/11/2019 at 20:18, melmerby said:

Like youI never saw anything much of it as there was always a crowd around it.

I went for both days (as usual) and still missed some I would liked to have had a good look at.

Sunday afternoon at 1400 or so is usually quiet enough, but not this year.

Conversely the long US N gauge layout I was able to see all of, in sequence, at the height of Saturday's crush.

What was wrong with it? I thought it was well done with a nice mix of trains, several at a time, which couldn't be said of some of the other exhibits.

One of  the funny layouts was the micro roundy-roundy of 4 seasons on a rotating base.

I think the guy missed a trick as he could have had his train running around whlst the diorama rotated electrically in  the opposite direction to keep the train in view whilst the scenery went past. (he was turning it manually)

I spoke to one of the operators of Solent Summit (the long US N Gauge layout) this evening, he is a member of our club.

They were having a problem with the Digitrax throttles working on WiFi as all of the WiFi hotspts at the NEC was overloaded, so they were having problems controlling the layout. 

Even so, I think they put on a good show. I have seen this layout on a number of occasions (in a smaller guise) and this has not been a problem at all in the past.

It was a really big problem apparently, Layouts using Marklin Z21 control had similar problems as they also use public WiFi frequency.

Something to bear in mind if you intend to exhibit at Warley using WiFi throttles.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, steve45 said:

They were having a problem with the Digitrax throttles working on WiFi as all of the WiFi hotspts at the NEC was overloaded, so they were having problems controlling the layout. 

That was why I couldn't use the NEC free wifi then!

Actually when I was viewing (mid Morning Saturday) it all seemed to be going fine.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Barry Ten said:

Those scanners must have been clever as I walked through with two chunky Hornby locos in my bulky backpack, and they didn't set anything off. Yes, I actually went into Warley with more RTR than I walked out of it...

Some people with very small bags and occasionally no bags were setting it off.

Plenty with larger bags were sailing through.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, melmerby said:

That was why I couldn't use the NEC free wifi then!

Actually when I was viewing (mid Morning Saturday) it all seemed to be going fine.

It was those pesky punters in the Motorcycle show using it all!

I think they may have resorted to infa-red control although I am not totally sure

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, sb67 said:

Phil, was it a club you went with? I'm in Essex too, just wondered. 

Steve.

It was with the Shoeburyness club who invited members of other clubs and organisations. The coach started from Shoeburyness and made the last pickup here in Basildon. It was due to their show being cancelled due to a mix up by their venue with the bookings they decided to organise the trip as a one off. I did discuss the possibility with the club secretary about other trips and there might be something next year.

5 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

Yeah, full walk-through scanner! Why did I not see this at other entrances, i.e. where the buses drop and collect?

I'm not sure if they were working, both myself and another chap went through them pushing walkers without so much as a peep from the scanners.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

Those scanners must have been clever as I walked through with two chunky Hornby locos in my bulky backpack, and they didn't set anything off. Yes, I actually went into Warley with more RTR than I walked out of it...

Don't try that with locos in your hand baggage at BWI airport in Baltimore, as I found out on two seperate occasions.

For some reason, best known to the manufacturers of the scanners, they produce the same "signature" on the system as a handgun!

Was told that by the woman in charge of the scanner  (who was quite impressed with the N Gauge locos in question.....).

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

6 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

It was with the Shoeburyness club who invited members of other clubs and organisations. The coach started from Shoeburyness and made the last pickup here in Basildon. It was due to their show being cancelled due to a mix up by their venue with the bookings they decided to organise the trip as a one off. I did discuss the possibility with the club secretary about other trips and there might be something next year.

I'm not sure if they were working, both myself and another chap went through them pushing walkers without so much as a peep from the scanners.

Thanks Phil. I always wondered if clubs did that, good idea if they can get enough people. Had I know and it was available something I would have liked.

Steve.

• Friendly/supportive 2

13 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

The only criticism from Sarah about the show was being constantly struck with rucksacks by people with....and I quote “no bl00dy spatial awareness or regards for other people”

Which she said out loud after being struck for the third time by the same chap who quickly scuttled off :lol:

I wore a small backpack and, to the best of my knowledge, did not hit anyone with it. I did however get pushed in the back a couple of times, possibly accidentally, or maybe not........

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, melmerby said:

From Cradle to Grave:

690156792_ages1.jpg.48d8e7a65a659eed7ec1dd60cfc3374a.jpg

944984062_ages2.jpg.05d0515c8f30287e58a08b39f5499063.jpg

1855336851_ages3.jpg.56ba27318e1d0d5290b93d86ad9bc4ee.jpg

1838708955_ages4.jpg.1d60077275f61e9d5c84d14425642fec.jpg

985821432_ages5.jpg.6e310677f5a36061c7c79503e6dbe82b.jpg

981772694_ages6.jpg.70ece021421ecb275371bb6379462fbe.jpg

590988589_ages7.jpg.36ca4d543de08c9c9761867c81398bb5.jpg

369760295_ages8.jpg.9a8baf71097082f43c061149035981c7.jpg

Personally I thought this was one of the best displays at Warley.

WHY??????

Because I had never seen anything like it before - it showed enormous originality and imagination - absolutely brilliant in my opinion - and no running problems!!

• Like 3
  • Agree 12

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, caradoc said:

I did however get pushed in the back a couple of times, possibly accidentally, or maybe not........

After being knocked about by those with massive backpacks we went on the rampage targeting anyone with any size bag, apologies if you got caught up in the crossfire :jester:

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, sb67 said:

Thanks Phil. I always wondered if clubs did that, good idea if they can get enough people. Had I know and it was available something I would have liked.

Steve.

There was a spare ticket where someone had dropped out. I informed another RMwebber who lives in South Benfleet but he declined and the ticket went unused. 

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Harlequin said:

Helps keep the spending down, as well! :wink_mini:

Scanners and a sniffer dog on Sunday morning, sniffing bags held out to him.

Sniffer dog at a model railway show...……………..

Can they be trained to sort out the unwashed?

(That would be one brave dog)

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 12

53 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

After being knocked about by those with massive backpacks we went on the rampage targeting anyone with any size bag, apologies if you got caught up in the crossfire :jester:

It's the people wielding rolled up show guides you have to watch, especially when they suddenly thrust out an arm as you walk past and catch you with it  in a rather sensitive area. (insert your own joke here)

An apology would have been nice, but you can't expect everything can you? (Especially not a rolled up show guide leaping out in front of you apparently. )

Andy

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Sniffer dog at a model railway show...……………..

Can they be trained to sort out the unwashed?

(That would be one brave dog)

That would be the poor pooch laying on its back with all four legs in the air.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
Just now, SM42 said:

It's the people wielding rolled up show guides you have to watch, especially when they suddenly thrust out an arm as you walk past and catch you with it  in a rather sensitive area. (insert your own joke here)

An apology would have been nice, but you can't expect everything can you? (Especially not a rolled up show guide leaping out in front of you apparently. )

Andy

I just run over their foot with the walker.:diablo_mini:

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Personally I thought this was one of the best displays at Warley.

WHY??????

Because I had never seen anything like it before - it showed enormous originality and imagination - absolutely brilliant in my opinion - and no running problems!!

It was right near the entrance but most just sailed past

Arguably you could add a ninth segment for heritage railways and main line steam "The present"

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2