Midland in Tewkesbury

Tricky

33 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

More than I've achieved!

Is there any way of trying it at different heights without cutting it?

Even just a plain green strip on a plain background to raise up and down...

Not really, it rests on top of the baseboard. I think I’m just going to go for it....

9 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Leave it as it is.

Dave

I shall ponder during the day....I had to take it off anyway to upend the baseboard so that I can begin soldering all the droppers on.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 31/03/2020 at 08:20, Tricky said:

I shall ponder during the day....I had to take it off anyway to upend the baseboard so that I can begin soldering all the droppers on.

Still pondering...!

• Like 1

In the meantime, I’ve decided to tackle the dock edge where the track comes perilously close to the water’s edge and so a small retaining wall has been built. I am experimenting with how I try and reproduce the vegetation along here. 
69B3E69A-9393-400B-8CFE-EA836C393990.jpeg.528659bf43d4bf843e1f06615d7c1973.jpeg

This is the area available. Underneath the protective card is the water surface which at the moment is plywood painted in murky green shades. It will eventually get the gloss varnish treatment but is sufficiently advanced to warrant looking after and protecting. The brick wall is recycled from Birmingham/ Monk’s Gate which is now in ‘storage’. 

3A2F6E7F-D89E-4260-A167-B70EB268E718.jpeg.113f6a13de600697fcc5a537df748044.jpeg

And here we are entering the realms of experimentation...polyfilla into which is pressed....

85C8BB46-BD58-4385-BB11-1E5D7E734EC7.jpeg.f91b6dbca1ef4b9cea8ae5385d7a2a04.jpeg

....moss, weed roots, the odd twig.

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Followed by a smattering of more polyfilla, soot, ash, more ash, more dilute polyfilla, a mist spray of water and anything else lying around! Who knows how it’s going to work out...!

• Like 2

On 30/03/2020 at 21:04, Stephenwolsten said:

Please don't take my views as worth much, as I misinterpreted what you had already painted and I admit to preferring a very high viewing hight.  I wonder if the advice in Paul Bambrick's book is any help in deciding?

You’re right of course - Paul Bambrick’s book does indeed cover viewing heights but in my haste I jumped straight to the interesting bit! I shall retrace my steps and do what I should have done first time round!! 

• Like 1

On 30/03/2020 at 21:04, Stephenwolsten said:

Please don't take my views as worth much, as I misinterpreted what you had already painted and I admit to preferring a very high viewing hight.  I wonder if the advice in Paul Bambrick's book is any help in deciding?

You’re right of course - Paul Bambrick’s book does indeed cover viewing heights but in my haste I jumped straight to the interesting bit! I shall retrace my steps and do what I should have done first time round!! 

Here’s one last shot of the mess I’ve ended up with at close of play! 355C4179-24B0-402A-AA19-0789700C0B02.jpeg.b9b6fc31eb340f9e1ca4c447335dc7e9.jpeg

I am hoping that it all sets reasonably solid so that I can sand and shape it, then add back some texture, vegetation and colour in a more controlled fashion! 
This is a photo I took a couple of days ago of the banks of the River Eden, not far from Penshurst whilst out on my bike ride. 
39DA9D23-7F42-4403-B641-63C049FE9886.jpeg.1cb3deb3b6f8c7da075e02ab0405ceb2.jpeg

I love the way the roots have become exposed as the soil is eroded. The variation of colour and texture are noteworthy, as well as the gentle movement of water. I think this is essential prototype material to aim to copy, rather than try and make it up from my imagination. There - I’ve nailed my colours to the mast! Let’s see if I manage it now!

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

Here’s today’s update on the The River Experiment Project....

I think yesterday’s splodging was vaguely successful although I am a bit apprehensive that it will all end up a soggy mess. However, I have persevered today. Here, I have cut back the excess foliage and smeared over another covering of polyfilla followed by pva in an attempt to stabilise it all. The eagle-eyed among you will see I have replaced the card which disintegrated!A0C2BF09-4774-454A-8B9D-41E7E66D7D4A.jpeg.72b384d47b980c711efc35904b64fe28.jpeg

And here I’ve covered it with the ubiquitous carpet underlay. This is in an attempt to replicate the exposed roots etc in the real photo I posted yesterday. 

3D866A14-02FA-4C7F-8A09-83E97B75635E.jpeg.45f1188938eb5eb9e173ea72466cdc0a.jpegD5AF2C75-E15B-4A3A-B39F-D18F43744C5F.jpeg.7ad974f34c704722ce643594debe6dfa.jpeg
If it’s all sufficiently dry tomorrow I’ll trim back the underlay, clean up and hopefully add some colour. 

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Tricky said:

manipulate and mix the paints as easily in the model I don’t think

Looking very nice so far, in respect of using acrylics I tend to use the Vallejo range for most of my buildings etc. and add a few drops of their Retarder Medium, it helps to slow down any drying out and enables me to manipulate the paint as I wish.

Other Mediums are available.

Grahame

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

10 hours ago, bgman said:

Looking very nice so far, in respect of using acrylics I tend to use the Vallejo range for most of my buildings etc. and add a few drops of their Retarder Medium, it helps to slow down any drying out and enables me to manipulate the paint as I wish.

Other Mediums are available.

Grahame

Where do you by Vallejo paints?

Inspirational modelling but if it was me II would be worried about starting detailed modelling at the front of the layout and having to stretch across it to model the rear and risk causing damage to the work already modelled. Amazing work though.

Regards Rob