Midland in Tewkesbury

Tricky

• RMweb Gold

13 minutes ago, Tricky said:

I would probably build it with a view to selling, if only due to lack of space. Start saving perhaps...?!

Darn, I had best start saving then! I mean it would finally give my Dapol Terrier somewhere to run, It's spent many years sat on my bookcase without turning a wheel!

7 minutes ago, Tricky said:

When did the umber livery come in?

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tricky said:

I had a truly whacky idea yesterday. 

I have become drawn towards the LBSCR, partly due to the charming Dapol Terrier, and partly because I actually live in LBSCR territory, with Tunbridge Wells West being ex-LBSCR and the Spa Valley Railway running through Groombridge. So.....how about I re-locate Tewksbury to somewhere local and change from Midland to LBSCR? A wonderful excuse to buy a Terrier and also pander to a desire to portray something a lot closer to home? If so, I’d have to invent a location and reason for the current track plan and river/canal I’ve already built.

Your thoughts?! 

My thoughts? Lockdown fever...

Pre-grouping Arun Quay?

If going for c. 1905 - around the date of the livery change - you could have Terriers in IEG and umber. The Brighton Circle website page on the class has dates of livery change for each engine. Then some goods engine in the goods green livery, and a through working from the Midland...

Does anyone do wagon kits in 7 mm?

164649122_LBSCOpenANo.6448(Stroudley)andNo.5224(Billinton).JPG.853a41390cfbcb1f4652c8b61b58c729.JPG

Edited by Compound2632

Just now, BlueLightning said:

Darn, I had best start saving then! I mean it would finally give my Dapol Terrier somewhere to run, It's spent many years sat on my bookcase without turning a wheel!

Was is concurrent with the earlier livery for a time then? 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tricky said:

On railways of a reasonable size, when a colour change occurred it wasn’t overnight, and would typically take place at the next major overhaul, so typically 3-4 years. And then there would be the odd exceptions, too, for example I saw EE type 1 no 20 075 in green in 1980.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tricky said:

As Regularity and Compound say it wasn't overnight that it changed and the Brighton Circle does have some good detail for each locomotive. There were still some Pullman express services in the hands of a loco painted in Improved Engine Green in 1914 (Eastbourne Pullman behind G Class 329A "Stephenson") and the last loco to lose IEG (number 591 "Tillington") wasn't until 1917, but those would have very much have been the exception at the time

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

The Brighton Circle website gives approximate dates of livery changes for every locomotive - the Brighton was a closely-observed and much photographed line.

This website is a fabulous resource. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

From a purely personal view, going from your lovely Midland loco, built by your own fair hand, to a RTR Terrier like the one everybody else has isn't a step forward!

I always have much more interest in something somebody has made, rather than something somebody has purchased.

Nothing wrong with Terriers and the LBSCR, just the change from very good quality home made to very good quality RTR.

O gauge minimum space layouts with a RTR Jinty/08/Terrier or any of the other RTR offerings are springing up all over the place. Ones with locos like your Midland 0-6-0 stand out by being different.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

I'm sending round the Midland Railway Society heretic police to have words with you Richard!

Dave

Maybe this isn’t a good time to tell you I’m a member of the LNWR Society as well...?! 

• Like 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, t-b-g said:

From a purely personal view, going from your lovely Midland loco, built by your own fair hand, to a RTR Terrier like the one everybody else has isn't a step forward!

I always have much more interest in something somebody has made, rather than something somebody has purchased.

Nothing wrong with Terriers and the LBSCR, just the change from very good quality home made to very good quality RTR.

O gauge minimum space layouts with a RTR Jinty/08/Terrier or any of the other RTR offerings are springing up all over the place. Ones with locos like your Midland 0-6-0 stand out by being different.  

‘Tis a fair point you make. 

In all seriousness I think the viability of my latest bonkers idea very much depends on a) finding a half-sensible geographical location near me and b) once the location is set, getting that location to work with an already-made track plan. 

I’m not overly fussed about not having anywhere for my Class 2 to run. In the fullness of time I would really love a Spinner and really, really love the 4-4-0 ‘Beatrice’, which is my all-time favourite loco ever (and not just to appease Dave Hunt!). Both of which would merely languish on a display shelf. I think the RTR IEG Terrier is a beauty and testament to how far RTR has come. I’d quite happily run it up and down shunting a few wagons in a realistic setting and perhaps an approximately likely location. But as I say, I can’t quite get the two ends of the puzzle to meet yet. I think decent pre-group 7mm layouts, large or small, are still reasonably rare though. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Tricky said:

‘Tis a fair point you make. 

In all seriousness I think the viability of my latest bonkers idea very much depends on a) finding a half-sensible geographical location near me and b) once the location is set, getting that location to work with an already-made track plan. 

I’m not overly fussed about not having anywhere for my Class 2 to run. In the fullness of time I would really love a Spinner and really, really love the 4-4-0 ‘Beatrice’, which is my all-time favourite loco ever (and not just to appease Dave Hunt!). Both of which would merely languish on a display shelf. I think the RTR IEG Terrier is a beauty and testament to how far RTR has come. I’d quite happily run it up and down shunting a few wagons in a realistic setting and perhaps an approximately likely location. But as I say, I can’t quite get the two ends of the puzzle to meet yet. I think decent pre-group 7mm layouts, large or small, are still reasonably rare though. 

A corner of a bigger station modelled just to show a couple of sidings and the loco shed? "Beatrice" sitting outside a stone loco shed, with a nice retaining wall behind, while the Spinner is turned on the turntable ready for her next duty and the 0-6-0 pottering about in front with a couple of wagons?

Go on, you know you want to!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, t-b-g said:

A corner of a bigger station modelled just to show a couple of sidings and the loco shed? "Beatrice" sitting outside a stone loco shed, with a nice retaining wall behind, while the Spinner is turned on the turntable ready for her next duty and the 0-6-0 pottering about in front with a couple of wagons?

1 hour ago, t-b-g said:

You're right - I do want to, but that is even further removed from the trackplan I've already laid unfortunately. perhaps the one after this?!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Tricky said:

You're right - I do want to, but that is even further removed from the trackplan I've already laid unfortunately. perhaps the one after this?!

I have my next three layouts in my head already and have started work on two! No harm in planning ahead.

• Like 1