Midland in Tewkesbury

Tricky

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tricky said:

Maybe this isn’t a good time to tell you I’m a member of the LNWR Society as well...?! 

For goodness sake man, when you're in a hole stop digging!

Having the Midland mafiosa on your back is bad enough, but you don't want the other mob after you as well.

Did you know the GWR offer a witness protection program?

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

Moving to the LB&SCR is no where near as bad as a move to the GWR, Richard. 

I've have long considered a move to 7mm. The release of the L&SWR Terrier almost pushed me over the edge and I came close with the Dapol 14xx.........but it's GWR. 

If Dapol announce either a B4 or Beattie Well tank then I'm done. 

A Terrier in a riverside quay setting or Wharf setting as per a pre-grouping Arun Quay as previously mentioned sounds very appealing indeed. 

You will of course have to rename the thread or start a new one...... 

Terrier Tails from the Riverbank......? 

Rob. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Moving to the LB&SCR is no where near as bad as a move to the GWR, Richard. 

I've have long considered a move to 7mm. The release of the L&SWR Terrier almost pushed me over the edge and I came close with the Dapol 14xx.........but it's GWR. 

If Dapol announce either a B4 or Beattie Well tank then I'm done. 

A Terrier in a riverside quay setting or Wharf setting as per a pre-grouping Arun Quay as previously mentioned sounds very appealing indeed. 

You will of course have to rename the thread or start a new one...... 

Terrier Tails from the Riverbank......? 

Rob. 

Hi Rob, 

I am still sorely tempted. I'm going to pore over a landranger map of my locality and see if anything jumps out at me. As said above, if I can't find a suitable location and reason for it all then it will remain Midland in Tewks. 

FWIW I think you just need to act on your long-considered move to 7mm!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Tricky said:

FWIW I think you just need to act on your long-considered move to 7mm!

The sheep wrangler will tell you I have been trying to tempt him into 7 mm for some time.

He'll buckle eventually; Change to pigs at the same time.

Hamworthy, Hambleton, Cheltenham South Western, Little Piggle, Old Spot Lane.

The variations are endless. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

41 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

The sheep wrangler will tell you I have been trying to tempt him into 7 mm for some time.

He'll buckle eventually; Change to pigs at the same time.

Hamworthy, Hambleton, Cheltenham South Western, Little Piggle, Old Spot Lane.

The variations are endless. 

Nice.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Tricky said:

Nice.

I do try to please.

On a much more serious note, which does bring everything back onto the Midland in Tewkesbury, I was once stationed at the Vehicle Depot at Ashchurch.

I spent many hours searching out the various closed lines in the area, especially the line that ran to the shed and the river. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I do try to please.

On a much more serious note, which does bring everything back onto the Midland in Tewkesbury, I was once stationed at the Vehicle Depot at Ashchurch.

I spent many hours searching out the various closed lines in the area, especially the line that ran to the shed and the river. 

Nice again!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Did you know the GWR offer a witness protection program?

You misheard that. The middle letter of witness is actually an “l”...

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

Well, I took a cycle out this morning to a possible location; through Groombridge and out the other side, picking up the main line just before Eridge station. There’s an area of flat ground with a river - a tributary of the Medway - meandering across the railway at various points. Idyllic Kent countryside. But not really grabbing me for a plausible location I’m sad to say. There’s no industry here to warrant anything, just the occasional gorgeous farmhouse with attached oast house. There might of course be other locations but I’m not in the mood at the moment to traipse across Kent and East Sussex on a wild goose chase.
So, I think my meanderings away from Tewkesbury might be leading me back there - much to the relief of some of my readers! Perhaps a future project designed from scratch would lend itself more readily to my imagined LBSCR idyl. 
Anyway, by way of apologising to the layout, I gave the water another coat of gloss varnish! 

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tricky said:

just before Eridge station. There’s an area of flat ground

Be thankful for small mercies. I've ridden (south) from Eridge a couple of times and its etched in my memory for being particularly lumpy!

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

13 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

Be thankful for small mercies. I've ridden (south) from Eridge a couple of times and its etched in my memory for being particularly lumpy!

TW to Eridge has a few as well...! 

• 2 weeks later...

A minor victory today, in that I finally got round to tackling the Tortoise wiring. Easy once you know how...! Now that I’ve sussed out what I’m doing, I’ll methodically finish it all and tidy it up at the same time - which will be very therapeutic. I’ve gone for DPDT toggles rather than the DCC control panel decoder thingy. That is now languishing in a dusty corner of the workshop. So I just need to decide how to mount them. Either straight into the fascia, or concoct some sort of ‘period’ track diagram, with the toggles located in it. 
Your thoughts? 

372FCD0E-4815-4C6E-A9D6-F0FFC53C5639.jpeg.33328c5372103d5eccf56d24a6989c01.jpeg

• Like 3

Richard, 

Just going through the same thought processes myself for my new P4 layout. 

I'm going for fascia mounted switches directly opposite each point. Two reasons - firstly this reduces the wiring across baseboard joints significantly, but more importantly the layout portrays a long shunting yard where all the points were hand operated by the shunter or the loco fireman. I expect the operator to be moving up and down the layout with the loco, so an electrical switch alongside the point seems logical. 

Hope this helps, 

Geraint

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Middlepeak said:

Richard, 

Just going through the same thought processes myself for my new P4 layout. 

I'm going for fascia mounted switches directly opposite each point. Two reasons - firstly this reduces the wiring across baseboard joints significantly, but more importantly the layout portrays a long shunting yard where all the points were hand operated by the shunter or the loco fireman. I expect the operator to be moving up and down the layout with the loco, so an electrical switch alongside the point seems logical. 

Hope this helps, 

Geraint

Thanks Geraint,

I think I am probably leaning towards this approach too, although I don’t have baseboard joins to contend with. But keep it simple methinks.

Richard 

14 hours ago, Stephenwolsten said:

Definitely a bad case of lockdown fever - I've seen it all before.   This LBSCR stuff - it'll all end in tears.

Oh dear, I’ve got it bad then...! 
Tewks will stay Midland but I’m already thinking about its successor... as a previous poster intimated, a pre-grouping Arun Quay beckons. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A little bit of progress going on in the background: all the wiring is complete including a natty little control panel, made from a backing of 3mm stained mdf, the drawing (done in Autocad of course!) stuck on and aged with cold coffee. 
0F686FDE-0209-4885-8239-F409613A8919.jpeg.a088ecc941a86d63e157329ec92c8128.jpeg
2E94AAEF-8504-464E-8EEC-FFE757415766.jpeg.50aba8b004a0feb8eb0a456bafa26ca6.jpeg
I went for good old DPDT toggles as you can see. The whole concept of getting the Tortoises to work with DCC is beyond me. 

The backscene is still ‘floating’ in these photos but now that it is operational it can all be fitted together permanently and the fascia completed - much like ‘Bristol’. 

Just tussling with a traverser at the moment as well, getting it to motorise and index. More hair-pulling!

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Now I have managed to replace the fascia at last. I have also taken @rcf ‘s advice and started on the rear-most scenic element: the long wall. So, your views and opinions please on whether the height of this works in relation to the painted backscene. I still think it looks like the viewpoint is too high, but that may be because of the distant buildings I’ve painted over to the right which look like they’re in a valley. Perhaps if I substituted some very low-relief buildings here which don’t look that far away? 

620A6F4B-BB2B-4CB1-9EB0-C1405EA54A0E.jpeg.b1928d695113f21dcc3fad9a1d5565fa.jpeg

I must confess I have been looking at it for so long I can’t decide. The wall itself isn’t quite finished yet; it will have coping stones running along the top and a fair degree of weathering. Photos of similar walls in the vicinity of the engine shed look to be quite badly spalled. I’ve tried to show this by picking off some of the top layer but I think it needs more doing to really notice. 
A9CF2248-EC41-439C-8417-1D2CFE1076DE.jpeg.8987a6a7e26cd1d58d4c7624eb5980fd.jpeg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

To put my comments in perspective I cant come close to your standards but for me the angle you are looking at that loco is only 2 or 3 stories up. You wouldnt see anything except the upper parts of buildings immediately behind that wall, or if somewhere like Bath, the top of very high ground in the distance but you'd then be looking slightly up at any visible buildings that far away

To look down on buildings in the far distance like that, you would have to be on a substantial hill yourself in which case youd be looking down much more on the loco I think.

• Agree 1