Midland in Tewkesbury

Tricky

24 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

Hi,

To put my comments in perspective I cant come close to your standards but for me the angle you are looking at that loco is only 2 or 3 stories up. You wouldnt see anything except the upper parts of buildings immediately behind that wall, or if somewhere like Bath, the top of very high ground in the distance but you'd then be looking slightly up at any visible buildings that far away

To look down on buildings in the far distance like that, you would have to be on a substantial hill yourself in which case youd be looking down much more on the loco I think.

Thanks for your comments. Perhaps I should forget distant hills and just paint sky down to the wall, and add a couple of very low relief buildings immediately behind the wall? 

• RMweb Premium

Richard,

I would get rid of the buildings behind the wall as to me they are too 'fussy' and tend to take the eye away from the model. However, I do like the distant hills as they give some depth to the scene so I'd keep them.

Dave  

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Tricky,

That is a lovely backscene.  I think a bit of artistic licence is required. I was born a few miles from Tewkesbury so know it quite well. The view towards your backscene would be to the north which would be up river along the Severn. It is rather flat along there which is why it floods so often. The hill that you have painted is an excellent representation of the western reach of Bredon which is less then 1000ft high and is basically a lump in the Vale of Evesham. Strictly it is more to the north east (ie the right). From ground level in the town it was not visible. However from the top floors of north east facing buildings it would have been. Since most people viewing the layout will do so at the equivalent roof top level I would suggest you have the backscene just right.  

Ian.   

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Ian Major said:

Tricky,

That is a lovely backscene.  I think a bit of artistic licence is required. I was born a few miles from Tewkesbury so know it quite well. The view towards your backscene would be to the north which would be up river along the Severn. It is rather flat along there which is why it floods so often. The hill that you have painted is an excellent representation of the western reach of Bredon which is less then 1000ft high and is basically a lump in the Vale of Evesham. Strictly it is more to the north east (ie the right). From ground level in the town it was not visible. However from the top floors of north east facing buildings it would have been. Since most people viewing the layout will do so at the equivalent roof top level I would suggest you have the backscene just right.  

Ian.   

That’s good to know, and comforting that I can at least put the blessed backscene to bed as it were and move on to something else! As always ‘based on’ can cover a lot of artistic license...

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

Today’s bit of progress was to paint the windows and prime the doors for the engine shed. I’ve also made up the roof structure which goes over the louvres. I would like to think if I do a little bit most days then eventually it might add up to something getting finished! 

C625671F-915D-4D9A-8069-4C50632FD8D6.jpeg.13832685a030c3a1616b5c7c886cd0e8.jpeg

• Like 12

Today’s progress has been quite productive. Here I’m sticking slate strips to the mdf former for the roof over the louvres. I laser cut strips of self adhesive paper and lay them course by course. 
D6561CBC-0101-428B-8867-838B2B728889.jpeg.0c4c752a1ad947466382d42acc2dd246.jpeg

Once the four sides are covered it looks like this:

BD0ECA39-8EBC-4847-A107-F1DF0FFE40EA.jpeg.4d97d0ff8cc79324cfee4256876d7dcf.jpeg

Next I cut strips of the same self adhesive paper and stick a length of brass wire down the centre. This will be the lead flashing with the brass wire to replicate the ‘broom handle’ moulding that goes under the lead in real life.  
4C9B64E3-BB8A-4259-B2FF-211295811639.jpeg.b988fa135f3bdfd5a7f17ffdd6ca8556.jpeg

My next post will show the finished article. 

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tricky. Good to see you making progress. Any chance you can let me have a copy of your drawing of Tewkesbury shed mate? I'm building Tewkesbury shed in EM. 

Regards Lez.  

On 27/06/2021 at 18:57, lezz01 said:

Hi Tricky. Good to see you making progress. Any chance you can let me have a copy of your drawing of Tewkesbury shed mate? I'm building Tewkesbury shed in EM. 

Regards Lez.  

Sure, pm me your email address. It will be autocad though.

4 hours ago, Stephenwolsten said:

I'm pleased to see you getting back to some of your own modelling, and relaxation.   And I will follow progress on the shed and mill with interest.   Keep up the good progress!

Thanks Stephen. I regularly use the photos you kindly sent of the mill and its environs. 

• Thanks 1

So, today’s progress was to make and fit the louvres on the shed roof, along with a base for the water tank. I’ve also painted the doors. 

EBE20E9E-83CC-4A1F-AB17-3101DB5CD1E1.jpeg.a0e102ad5ad8cde5a584bf2c794a9f00.jpeg0C4AC4E2-BC56-4DEA-ABD5-DB692EF0F54F.jpeg.d797575d32de0bbf566aa330c766ea8b.jpeg

B5E7BDC0-698B-4161-BCEA-6372C0E4A197.jpeg.5fea8edcdce34952f3d54323752b0951.jpeg

(Temporarily positioned!). 

• Like 16

5 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

I thought the top of the tank was below the top of the shielding wall Richard?

Regards Lez.

Yes, you're quite right, it is in real life. But I want to use some of my 3D printed Midland water tank panels. Artistic license!

• Like 2