Midland in Tewkesbury

Tricky

Cracking on. This is the beginnings of the next low relief building along the back. It will incorporate the loading bay canopy as mentioned before to give it a bit of depth, plus the overhanging appendage above. The big hole will have some large sliding doors in it. 

48F3C0FE-2290-4D88-922D-DEA9C87985D5.jpeg.2e1076b2a7a56526874a47ccbebbb163.jpeg

• Like 17

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Tricky said:

Modest progress of late, but still proceeding quicker than in recent weeks, so not complaining! 

I’ve added gutters and down pipes, fabricated from brass tube; glazed the windows and also added some timber strip which will support the platform planking. 

I’ve also started a lantern which will come out from the wall on a fancy bracket, more photos to follow anon. 

44BA3BFA-9386-436F-B275-02C2822388F0.jpeg.b98075466e191fd508b9321128808ee2.jpeg363B83A7-6374-451C-BE7D-98E239C3BE3A.jpeg.67f1af566a6f6cfe16816c4743e56220.jpegC4AC8E90-4DCF-4320-B063-479015CF59C1.jpeg.55c9331ea7d3cde7d7ecee807ba96e7e.jpeg

I do like the angled window surrounds.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

From 1908, the Trafford Park Estates company ran passenger trains from Trafford Park to Barton, using ex CLC four wheel coaches. This gives a guide to when the CLC coaches were withdrawn from main line service. The motive power was a contractor's type loco. I have seen a photo but cannot recall where.

An accident report from 1909 confirms that the GCR were still running 4 wheel coaches on the main line in the Manchester area. These would have been the similar ex-MS&LR stock, but what livery they were in only God knows. (I gather one reason the GCR abandoned painted coaches - from 1908 - and went back to teak was that paint allegedly did not adhere well to their many MS&L teak - or was it mahogany? - coaches. But was all the old stock repainted anyway?)

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Poggy1165 said:

An accident report from 1909 confirms that the GCR were still running 4 wheel coaches on the main line in the Manchester area. These would have been the similar ex-MS&LR stock, 

Presumably they were ex-MS&LR stock; I can't see any new 4-wheelers being built after 1897!

But I find myself wrestling with a point of terminology here. I can quite happily think of some items of GCR stock being, say, ex-LD&ECR; the LD&ECR having been taken over / absorbed by the GCR. But the GCR came into existence purely as a change of name; it retained the same officers; did its shareholders receive an exchange of share certificates? If so, it was surely on a one-to-one basis; there was no financial reconstruction. Funds for the London Extension had already been secured in much the same way as for any company building a new line. So to my mind there's nothing ex about MS&LR equipment in use in GCR days.

Compare the Dublin, Wicklow and Wexford Railway, which re-named itself the Dublin & South Eastern Railway in 1906, without any other change of status.

The MS&L change to Great Central was essentially a change of image, rather like the one BR did when they changed all the liveries and started calling themselves British Rail. The change in coach livery was actually one of the more dramatic changes. Initially, the locos were in the same livery (although that changed when John George Robinson rocked up) and the wagons were merely relettered.

What is not clear is whether all the old coaches were ever repainted to either French grey and cream or the later brown and cream before the reversion to teak in 1908. Given the very limited facilities at Gorton (Dukinfield Carriage and Wagon was at this point just a dream) I rather doubt it, but I could not give empirical evidence. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

And lastly, one possible arrangement of low relief buildings and walls along the back. I may squeeze in some trees behind the long wall blending into painted ones, if I feel brave enough. 

CE8D2A25-6B22-4A28-B375-94AB6638BA28.jpeg.9cac00ec3977c3a382c38941f818c0d2.jpeg

Edited by Tricky
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

There is a small church without a spire or tower directly behind the shed complex to the right of the scene as you look at it. It's called Holy Trinity and fronts onto the Oldbury Rd with it's side parallel to the track see map of Tewkesbury. It would have been clearly visible above the roof tops behind the Oldbury road end.

Regards Lez.   

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

I don't know when it was built but it's on the 1880 map and as it's about four to five stories high and only 81 meters away from the railway it would have been quite prominent from Station Street.

Regards Lez.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

14 hours ago, lezz01 said:

There is a small church without a spire or tower directly behind the shed complex to the right of the scene as you look at it. It's called Holy Trinity and fronts onto the Oldbury Rd with it's side parallel to the track see map of Tewkesbury. It would have been clearly visible above the roof tops behind the Oldbury road end.

Regards Lez.   

I’ve checked it out on the maps and notionally it’s on the wrong (south) side of the tracks. In my little world the model view is looking north with the quay off to the left (west). 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Tricky said:

I’ve checked it out on the maps and notionally it’s on the wrong (south) side of the tracks. In my little world the model view is looking north with the quay off to the left (west). 

The offending* church can be made out in this aerial photo, taken looking south:

EAW006890.jpg

[Embedded image.]

*Offending. It is a bit of a brick-built monstrosity of a preaching barn, dating from 1853:

image.png.0af0133a338ebd3e958a70b0edd2675e.png

[Pauline Eccles, CC BY-SA 2.0, via Wikimedia Commons.]

• Funny 3

29 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

The offending* church can be made out in this aerial photo, taken looking south:

EAW006890.jpg

[Embedded image.]

*Offending. It is a bit of a brick-built monstrosity of a preaching barn, dating from 1853:

image.png.0af0133a338ebd3e958a70b0edd2675e.png

[Pauline Eccles, CC BY-SA 2.0, via Wikimedia Commons.]

Yes I think the sermons would contain word like Fire and Brimstone :scared:

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes it is a large and unattractive building and a typical 1850s style church. I'm not sure I would have used the term offending to describe a church. Certainly not within my dear old dads earshot as he would have gotten his dog collar is a bit of a twist. I will be including it on my backscene as you would be looking straight at it on my version of Tewkesbury.

Regards Lez.   

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

It is the architecture that offends!

I agree the architecture is truly offensive and I can think of many other examples of ecclesiastical architecture that are more so! I just wonder if it would be nicer in stone as I think it's the fact that it's in red brick that makes it look so bad. It's a 19thC interpretation of Gothic and it's a bit too tall and a bit too narrow and as such it just fails. I never thought for one moment that you were inferring the worship of  God was the offensive thing about it. I need to remember that Tricky's layout is an artistic sketch of Tewkesbury rather than a scale model of Tewkesbury shed. Given the orientation of the shed I would never have thought that the view wasn't south and looking south from station street at a height of around 20- 50 feet puts that monster right in view which is why I mentioned it. 

Regards Lez.      

• Like 3