Midland in Tewkesbury

Tricky

In other news (because all this DCC stuff gets a bit heavy-weight after a while) I’ve made some more progress on the baseboard, adding stiffening ribs and so on. Over the weekend, if I’m allowed, I hope to start to tackle the main boards making up the backscene, sidescene (new word I’ve just made up) and proscenium arch. The lesson I learned from Bristol will be to make all of this removable , thus avoiding the whole lot weighing a ton. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Yes Tricky.  Locos work much more realistically with sound chips. It makes a world of difference and is worth the extra expense in my opinion.

Regards Lez.Z.  

The Zimo decoders pretty much all have active braking now on F2

As you let off the throttle (either drop it a few speed steps or back to zero) I have set the coasting to quite high, so effectively increasing the effect. This allows the loco to 'coast' and by pressing F2 the brake is applied. The longer you press F2, the more severe the application.

Live volume control is on F27 to decrease volume and F28 to increase volume.

I'm not sure on the NCE Powercab how you get these particular functions.

Hope that helps

Jinty ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I visited Tewkesbury on the way back from the GOG Show at Telford and took some pictures of the mill, brewery, Quay Street  and riverside.  I attach a few and am sorry I did not get any of the rear view that interests you particularly.  Regards, Stephen.

tewk1.jpg

tewk2.jpg

tewk3.jpg

tewk4.jpg

tewk5.jpg

tewk6.jpg

tewk7.jpg

tewk8.jpg

tewk9.jpg

Edited by Stephenwolsten
Spelling!
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2

8 hours ago, Stephenwolsten said:

Hi, I visited Tewksbury on the way back from the GOG Show at Telford and took some pictures of the mill, brewery, Quay Street  and riverside.  I attach a few and am sorry I did not get any of the rear view that interests you particularly.  Regards, Stephen.

tewk1.jpg

tewk2.jpg

tewk3.jpg

tewk4.jpg

tewk5.jpg

tewk6.jpg

tewk7.jpg

tewk8.jpg

tewk9.jpg

Fabulous Stephen and thank you for thinking of me! I’m away on holiday the week after next; I plan on taking a sketch book and sketching out designs for the buildings for Tewks. These photos will prove invaluable. The mill building particularly will be a challenge to capture the feel of such a large building in a small space...!

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Stephenwolsten said:

I have looked through my pictures again and these are the remaining ones in the set that do not duplicate the previous elevations.   I look forward to seeing your work in MRJ in the future!

tewks10.jpg

tewks11.jpg

tewks12.jpg

tewks13.jpg

tewks14.jpg

I love the coloured brickwork and detailing. I’ll be surprised if what I manage to squeeze on will be a quarter of the size, but I’ll try my best to capture some of the atmosphere - the pressure’s on ....!!!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

I'm ever so slightly confused. There don't seem to be any old photos on line that I can find of the area between the High St and Oldbury Road. Maps seem to indicate the tracks were under cover here, although it is entirely possible that I've missed something.  I'd also be intrigued to see any old photos of trains trundling past what is now the Anchor pub, on their way down to the quay...

18 minutes ago, colin penfold said:

Hi Tricky, your comment got me curious enough to have a quick google. No pictures found but this organisation came up https://tewkesburyhistory.org/home

You may already be aware of it, hope it's of use to aid your research

Thanks - there's a fabulous map from 1880; getting off topic but further east there's also a goods shed with cattle pens. I wonder if photos exist of that too (other than Britain from above ones)?

6 hours ago, Tricky said:

I'd also be intrigued to see any old photos of trains trundling past what is now the Anchor pub, on their way down to the quay...

There is a decent picture of this scene on this Pinterest board, which also contains a good one of part of the Mill.  https://www.pinterest.co.uk/hilaryjcarter/tewkesbury/

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 09/09/2019 at 11:40, Tricky said:

I'm ever so slightly confused. There don't seem to be any old photos on line that I can find of the area between the High St and Oldbury Road. Maps seem to indicate the tracks were under cover here, although it is entirely possible that I've missed something.  I'd also be intrigued to see any old photos of trains trundling past what is now the Anchor pub, on their way down to the quay...

Between the High Street and Oldbury Road was the site of the original terminus station in Tewkesbury. Opened in 1840 and closed in 1864 when the new station was opened about 1/2 mile ENE of the site. The new location was a through station to Malvern until 1952 and Upton upon Severn until August 1961 for passenger trains. Goods went on for a little longer. A year or two. The original 1840 station had a gothic frontage and a wooden overall roof. This was still in situ in 1937 IIRC but disappeared soon after, perhaps during WW2. I’ll PM you some stuff I have went I get a moment.

Morgan

• Informative/Useful 1

This photo is the site of the 1840 station taken from Oldbury Road looking towards the High Street.

The overall roof was supported on the high walls on each side. Disused platform on the right. Gothic frontage onto High Street long gone only small waiting room/ticket office building remaining on right.

You can see the roof of the Mill building in the far distance.

Morgan

8256A0A9-8988-42E4-9DAE-637C253607F8.jpeg

Edited by 45609
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 09/09/2019 at 18:25, Stephenwolsten said:

There is a decent picture of this scene on this Pinterest board, which also contains a good one of part of the Mill.  https://www.pinterest.co.uk/hilaryjcarter/tewkesbury/

https://pin.it/wvxfj6hes245pz

Yes, this is the only photo that I know of the shows this. It is not thought to have been a common occurrence and locomotives were most certainly banned from crossing into the Mill complex at the bottom of Quay Street.  Wagons were more normally horse or gravity shunted across the High Street, down the gradient into Quay Street and across the cast iron bridge into Healings Mill. There is an anecdotal account of a petrol powered shunting tractor also being used but, to date, no photos have come to light.

Morgan

Edited by 45609
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi Richard,

Totally by chance I was thumbing through a copy of the May 1965 Railway Magazine this morning and found the attached. It's credited to Gordon Biddle and dated May 1956. Track still visible in the setts, and I like the lamp fixed to the side of the building.

Hope it's useful. My apologies for the poor quality, but the original magazine print was not brilliant.

Regards,

Geraint

Scan.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Middlepeak said:

Hi Richard,

Totally by chance I was thumbing through a copy of the May 1965 Railway Magazine this morning and found the attached. It's credited to Gordon Biddle and dated May 1956. Track still visible in the setts, and I like the lamp fixed to the side of the building.

Hope it's useful. My apologies for the poor quality, but the original magazine print was not brilliant.

Regards,

Geraint

Scan.jpg

That’s a great photo - and thanks for posting. If I’ve got my bearings correct, the old station site was behind the photographer. 

• Agree 1

Oh for the wings...

Slow progress it seems to me. But progress nonetheless.39BD673C-9434-412C-AE56-5DADB1A08584.jpeg.525372da6121f3e99af66e21a24fd1f8.jpegAA04CC9D-7578-45F2-9619-31D14675C295.jpeg.541fdf78918437996cdf280ddea1dfcd.jpeg

My usual fabrication of bendy MDF and ply. This time round though, this whole structure is removable from the baseboard, thus reducing carrying weight, and I can paint the backscene flat, thus reducing the chance of runny paint in my clouds!! I can also work on the railway from all sides, thus reducing arm ache. 

8CE04842-5F43-485A-9F9F-A9B9C9AC6BDF.jpeg.8ef22bbe1e86e50aad61ad5c34450a09.jpeg

When will all the demolition stop!?! This backscene end on Birmingham (aka Monks Gate) really is curved. It’s a trick of an awkward shadow. The prospect of really seeing how two cameos side by side looks is quite exciting though. 

Lastly, a tantalising view of the future...

F9094408-37DA-440F-A1DF-034139480BA7.jpeg.2a04c0e76b105b9a1acd1e0e623faab3.jpeg

Tracks laid instead of the sector plate, ready to carry the virtual journey on to Tewkesbury...one day. 

• Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Here are a few more photos taken from different angles.

Looking towards the High Street.  The white building in the background left is the Anchor Hotel.  The photo is dated 1965. About 2 to 3 years after the shed closed for good.

1831605478_OldStationWaitingRoom1965.png.8a85a5359a01cabc59050f5837dc245a.png

Looking towards Oldbury Road, this is dated c1953. Locos were stabled in the old station area when space was tight on the other side of Oldbury Road in front of the loco shed building

135905185_OldStation1953Stanier5MT.png.cc9704167f3ce48c79788d2fde5a013b.png

The line between after Oldbury Road and through to Healing Mill was severed in 1958. I have copies of the original civil engineers scheme for doing this dated 1957.  After that the station site was taken over for storage and remained derelict for many years.  The two vans were permanently marooned on the old station run round loop.  I believe the following two photos are late 1960s

1194518552_2011-08-09Tewkesbury1840Station_2.jpg.973025eb24307c757a09602b36f54f2b.jpg

1521694257_2011-08-09Tewkesbury1840Station_1.jpg.ea427715c185e4c534165db8438a9aa8.jpg

Finally, here is another picture of 3879 crossing the High Street.  It seems to be hauling wagons from left to right 

3879_highstreet_1947.jpg.30829a4ca5b3706665e972638e981730.jpg

cheers...Morgan

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2

This excerpt from the 1928 Aerofilms image shows the original 1840 station Gothic frontage with the overall roof behind.  The loco shed is immediately behind that and Oldbury Road runs between the two.

1812148444_Aerial1928ofstation_highlight.jpg.5d7057ca1d669f167a2bde6b6f4559d4.jpg

The following are elevations and plans of the 1840 station taken from the Birmingham and Gloucester Railway's contract 15G for the construction of the Tewkesbury Depot.  I have a copy of the whole contract document that goes into details of the materials etc... to be used.  It is dated 1838.

Front elevation facing onto the High Street

page168.jpg.55d0412e30e2327938da6ad2b329e0f9.jpg

Side elevation - looking North

page169.jpg.dcbb8f486d51609c27ea8f41e9e6b6b2.jpg

Ground floor plan

page173.jpg.69bf73f7b0287a87e8fd2e106a19dca0.jpg

First floor plan

page172.jpg.ee3bb11eba415b68c55807c0af00c69e.jpg

Hope this is all of some use?

Morgan

Edited by 45609
typo error