Has Osborns Gone Out Of Business?

Robert John Davis

I have a very large, expensive order, placed online the first week of April that has not yet been delivered.

I have sent many emails. 

I have called many times. The phone was answered once (about a month after the order) and I was told some items were not in stock but were coming and I would get an email that weekend. 

Since then, my emails have gone unanswered and every time I call I get an automated message that they are busy. 

Beware if you are planning to do business with them. 

Rob

Edited by Robert John Davis

• Moderators

You should be hearing from them today. Apparently some items were to follow and they hadn't heard back from you whether you wanted the in-stock items sending.

• Like 2

AY Mod - Thank you.  I appreciate that and I hope you are right. There has been no contact from the shop to me since the orders were placed. Hopefully this is just a miscommunication. - Rob

Update: I did hear from the shop in response to a PayPal inquiry. I am relieved to know they are not closed. 

Edited by Robert John Davis
Update

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Robert,

as per pm...

I've had stuff delivered from them this week and an email advising the order was on the way.

So - they do respond and they do send emails.

Try 01237 423 453

Thaks

Phil H

ps - I notice there is a comment on the website saying that the Contact Us section is not working properly and to send direct email to them.

• 9 months later...
Guest Half-full
50 minutes ago, The Dorset Wanderer said:

I ordered on 5th May- modest order. Had payment taken by Paypal and since then- nothing.

Have e-mailed three times and tried to phone- no luck either.

Do they want business

Your next move should be to contact paypal for a refund, that'll result in either your money back or a response from the shop

3 hours ago, The Dorset Wanderer said:

I ordered on 5th May- modest order. Had payment taken by Paypal and since then- nothing.

Have e-mailed three times and tried to phone- no luck either.

Do they want business?

Steve

Unfortunately, the happened to me. Took 3 weeks to arrive after ordering beginning of January, although the order was missing an item. It took days to get hold of them, they reassured me when I did that they'd get back in touch to confirm - they didn't.  Follow up email ignored. 

Took only course of action and went via PayPal, they then reacted very quickly after 2 months of not doing so and refunded missing amount. 

Suggest as half-full says, open case and it'll sort it... PayPal can restrict account etc... so it should work. They're blacklisted for me now.  Issue was that they showed stock online, even though they didn't have it... hence partial order. 

Cheers 

Edited by GEOEng03
Spelling
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes they're still open but running on odd opening hours during the current Covid19 situation - my understanding is that the owner is caring for his children during that day and then trying to play catch up with shop business in the evenings.

Steven B.

• RMweb Gold

I would leave it for a while as I`ve purchased from them a couple of times and despite their website telling me in stock , the were`nt and had to be ordered. No communication from them at the time , everything  arrived eventually. They were having delivery`s every week before the Pandemic.

JOhn

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve ordered a Roco locomotive of them says in stock . payed with PayPal but had no conformation email from Osborns them selves just from PayPal , emailed and Phoned with no answer.  Anybody had a similar issue ? 

You know when you get Divine knowledge not to order. I rarely order anything, but a month or two ago, I wanted to order a couple of accessories for my Unimat, and my origional Unimat I had purchased from them a good few years ago. (I rarely had the funds to treat myself so when I did I decided that the Unimat was a better investment then models, as my theory is that tools are better then buying kits because I can make things with tools).

I have to say that the phone call went fine (I often take a week or two to pluck up the courage to phone) and I had my Unimat within days along with two Peco coach kits I had ordered at the same time. 

But recently when I decided to go for a couple of upgrades, each time I went to phone I felt not to and I did not know why. I did try twice but there was no reply. It took me about a month to try making these two phone calls as making decisions and speaking on the phone for my own needs can be like that.

Anyway, I kept feeling I should not order from them and I did not have a clue as to why. I did notice that other places had higher prices on their websites, and it was as if Osbornes had not updated their prices on less popular items for a few years. This is not a problem if they honour these prices, but their profit margins may be squeezed quite a bit.

So after what was probably something like about two to two and a half months, maybe even three? I decided to order elsewhere (Rare for me as I often stick to the same place if I do) and I actually found a place to order from which is not that far away from where I live. I ordered and recieved my items. It cost a bit more but fair enough. If that is the price they need to stay in business, that is the price I need to pay.  (I do find that anything classed as "Model railway" or "Model" related to be around three to five times what the exact same or similar item would cost if it was classed as a "Toy", but that's another subject!)

Though one does not get a lot for ones money these days, at least I am blessed with what I have.

I do hope all is ok with the owner and any employees of Osbornes Models as I would hate for anyone to be in difficulty and not to be able to cope. It was an eye opener to see this thread just now as I realize why I felt it was not wize to order.

Edited by Mountain Goat

10 hours ago, A1X said:

I’ve ordered a Roco locomotive of them says in stock . payed with PayPal but had no conformation email from Osborns them selves just from PayPal , emailed and Phoned with no answer.  Anybody had a similar issue ? 

Follow up from email , Item not in stock refunded right away .

regards

• Like 1

Apologies to anyone waiting on an order, we are working extremely hard during these very challenging times, we are getting orders picked and out as fast as possible, we shipped nearly 800 parcels out over the past month. Due to home schooling, unfortunately there is nobody in the shop during the day to answer the phone so apologies to anyone trying to call who couldn't get through. Over this past month I have replied to nearly 900 emails, we are getting through them as fast as we can so please bear with us it may take us a few days to get to your email. Thank you again for your patience and support during these strange times. 

Michael

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 11

Thank you. I struggle to manage to reply to just a few emails! Haha. That is incredible. No wonder things have been difficult! 

I have to say that the Unimat 1 Classic I ordered from you several years ago, which started me off with the Unimat tool system has been very useful. 

And the Peco coaches? Here is a photo of one of them in its new livery. 

(I realize why I had a hunch that my ordering would be difficult. When the crises subsides, and things are back to being less hectic, no doubt I will be needing some more bits and pieces so I will place an order or two then.  (I need to do a little saving first!))

Something I will say is that as modellers, we do appreciate you being there. We have a moan at times as we can be a grumpy lot (Especially when we don't see both sides of the picture). But without you guys we would be stuck.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Is anyone still experiencing difficulties with orders?  

Over a month now and no response to e:mails.  Even allowing for the circumstances given previously I thought I'd have heard by now.

If it's not in stock why does the website not say so?  Have found numerous traders doing this and it's really annoying.

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, 4109 said:

Is anyone still experiencing difficulties with orders?  

Over a month now and no response to e:mails.  Even allowing for the circumstances given previously I thought I'd have heard by now.

If it's not in stock why does the website not say so?  Have found numerous traders doing this and it's really annoying.

Hi there,

The Covid situation has not improved for model shops...

There has been a direct response from a member of staff on here already.

Perhaps you should send them a pm as well as emailing to the shop directly?

I've never had a problem with an order, sometimes the delay in supply is down to the maker/distributor of the items and not the retailer.

I agree in principal though, if the shop knows there is a delay, then they should advise you of it.

Thanks

Phil H

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

To put Covid into perspective, we are constantly re-ordering stock as we sell it, but deliveries from loads of suppliers not within 7-10 days anymore, some are monthly.  Recently it took 6 weeks to get Kadee coupling from Kadee in America, ordered by their United States Post Office opton (normally 14days ish),

they spent 10 days in quarantine at Heathrow.

So some understanding of the current situation is required.    Charlie

• Like 5
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 4