• 2 weeks later...

Thanks @Spotlc, I totally agree. My dad does a lot of electronics, and hand-built over 30 LED lampposts for the home layout, and at least 30 more on/in buildings. My solution for this layout with the battery-powered christmas lights is a little simpler to set up, but much more restrictive in where you can place the lights.

In the mean time, I spent much of this wet, locked-down Saturday finally shooting and editing a video!

Things I learnt about my relatively new Google Pixel 3a phone's camera: it's got pretty good resolution, but doesn't always like the lighting or stay in focus. However, my laptop was much faster editing and uploading this video than some previous ones, so some recent cleaning must have helped. All in all, a day well spent.

Edited by TechnicArrow
missed a few words
  • Like 5
  • 2 months later...

That crane I bodged over in the Green Lane Wharf topic has finally found it's proper place on Arrow Paints...

1323484462_42.Cranereplaced(8).jpg.4a3b8a63b3734793fcef06bb4a37c787.jpg

It seems to fill the space much better than the Fuchs did, probably because it's actually OO scale not HO. It also looks more appropriate being a UK protoype, and feels more capable when handling some of the larger freight items on the layout...

1255228768_42.Cranereplaced(9).jpg.e0ee4acbd2b5e0e79d714e461871d0c7.jpg

1856554639_42.Cranereplaced(1).jpg.6c433c2683e0ac1c9f4c0f3c2a78892e.jpg

The higher mounted job makes it a lot easier to lift tall items in and out of open wagons, but does have slightly less horizontal range meaning the wagons need to be shunted a little more to reach both ends. And the crane is far too clean - it needs to have a light weathering at some point. But if I find the time amongst my revision this weekend, I should be able to present a video of it in action soon!

• Like 6

Thank you all for the reactions. And hey, I actually managed to do what I said I would on time for once!

This short video ended up focused more on the shunting than the crane, since although the crane is very fun to operate there's a lot of fiddling back and forth which doesn't look good on video - this short shot took about 10 takes to get right! Still, I'm reasonably happy with it, so I hope you enjoy.

Maybe I'll do another more focused video in the future, but don't hold your breath because (online) exam season is upon us again so I'll be pretty busy for the next 3 weeks.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • 2 weeks later...
On 02/01/2021 at 22:58, sleepyrider said:

Great video of a lovely little layout!

Thanks for your kind words!

I've been doing a little more playing operating of the crane. Until it stopped working, and I opened it up to find this mess...

1547283403_43.Cranemaintenance.jpg.05645a969fb7a9963826b2526c7b24ca.jpg

I'm not sure how clear it is in the photo, but to the left of the spindle protruding from the base is a twisted mass of thread... at some point the boom cable, which is supposed to spool around the black tube, must have slipped off - and got thoroughly twisted around the main winch cable, which emerges from the middle of the tube. I tried untangling it, but in the end it was easier to cut off and replace the boom cable. I also took the opportunity to properly anchor it to the outside of the tube, since it would slip occasionally before.

With the crane suitably fixed and with a slightly increased loading capacity, I decided to attempt lifting the largest item of freight on the layout - a BR container.

1270430428_43.Liftingcontainer(1).jpg.2a60698733bff61954b3343166dca672.jpg

The old crane couldn't do that!

The container is the standard Bachmann one that came with the Conflat. I drilled a tiny hole through each of the shackles moulded on top, passed a couple of threads through (each one joining diagonally opposite holes), and tied them to a paperclip inside the container. Pretty simple yet effective, and the weight of the paperclip pulls the threads flat against the roof of the container when it's not being lifted.

577884261_43.Liftingcontainer(2).jpg.71b3aaace78e0b8566fd5a7d90ee6c5d.jpg

Of course, what the photos hide is how much is swings and spins when it's being moved... but I'm happy that this crane has enough reach, stability and strength to move it.

The layout's getting plenty of use by the way - it makes for an excellent relaxing break between exams and revision!

• Like 4
  • RMweb Gold

Arrow paints layout is a smashing little layout with plenty going on. BTW love the video, Thanks for sharing.:D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Wrenn said:

Arrow paints layout is a smashing little layout with plenty going on. BTW love the video, Thanks for sharing.:D

Thanks a lot, I'm glad you enjoy it too. When I was young I always thought more than just the trains on model railways should work; I'm now getting the hang of creating what I would have enjoyed to play with then, and it's still great fun!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been here a few times, but it's only after shuffling points around a pair of shoeboxes for an hour or more that I've realised how good this layout is. I very simply cannot improve on the track plan in the space. I doff my cap to thee sir, for thou art a fine modeller.

• Like 1