Hornby RailRoad HST

MrTea

• RMweb Premium

(I don’t think there’s already a thread for this but feel free to merge it if there is)

In the 2019 catalogue Hornby announced R3608 - a pair of ex-Lima HST power cars in BR blue and grey. Is anyone else out there contemplating ordering this model?

I’m quite tempted as they’re nearly £150 cheaper than the ‘full fat’ version. And with the recent release of the Valenta TTS chips there’s the potential to have a decent looking and sounding IC 125 for a reasonable amount of cash. 

Does anyone know what the level of detail on the livery is likely to be like? The pre-production shots online show missing yellow on the cab roof and a number of other small details that make the model look a bit odd to me. 

I don’t want to miss out if demand is high but equally I don’t want to wish I’d waited and shelled out for the full super detail version. 

3F5971AE-11F8-4522-9D3C-D4F9AA3137DB.png

It gives a perfect opportunity to have an excellent replica of 'the real thing' for a much more reasonable price, I agree.

It's one of those Porsche Boxster situations .... you know, perfectly excellent sports car but everyone will say 'only purchased as couldn't afford "the real one"'.

I've a Virgin R3390 which is fantastic - seemingly purchased at the right time, before pricing when silly - so personally I wouldn't.

My loss, but the shaft-driven 8WD is fantastic ...

Saying that I've no problems with the single bogie on my Pendolino so it would be a 'whim purchase' ...

If you like it, and have other, more pertinent purchases you need to make - house maintenance for one - then go for it!!

Al.

Edited by atom3624
  • Like 1

just noticed that all the resellers have the unit numbers as W43001 and W43002. The Hornby site has W43002 and W43003. I don’t think you will get a prototype HST in the Railroad range!

Mmm, where is the luggage van window as fitted to 43002-43152 from new!

Or is this just another example of Hornby Hobbies "its only a diesel, that is close enough" philosophy?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, royaloak said:

Mmm, where is the luggage van window as fitted to 43002-43152 from new!

Or is this just another example of Hornby Hobbies "its only a diesel, that is close enough" philosophy?

Note its in the Railroad range.

Is an establshed trend that said range featres all sorts of models with issues and not just diesels, though its quite possible that the steam products in the range are generally better. The key critera is not accuracy, its building stuff down to a price using whatever tooling Hornby decide is most cost effecticve.

While I know the old Hornby toolng did feature a Guards van window (making it inacurate for several models issued before Hornby introduced their 'super detailed' version in the last decade) I'm not sure about the Lima offering (which is what I believe Hornby use these days for the railroad range).

The super detailed HST power cars in the main range are indeed acurate - but naturally cost consideably more.

Edited by phil-b259

• RMweb Premium

Thanks everyone.

I've always thought that the Lima model was a much better representation than the Hornby 1970s/80s version - mainly because of the area around the lights.

And it frustrates me that they only really released the 'Limby' version in Virgin red and black livery as that's one of my least favourite colour schemes that the 125s carried in service.

I hope the decoration on this model is good, and if it's a commercial success I wonder if Hornby will consider producing a 'Last of the HSTs' edition featuring 43002 'Sir Kenneth Grange' in BR blue and 43185 in Intercity swallow livery?

IMG_3103.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

At one time I owned a R2707 Virgin pack in order to swap bodies with those from original Lima power cars. It was abandoned due to changing plans.

They're a direct swap, even down to the existing screw holes and fittings.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I have the Virgin Railroad and the full fat Virgin HST. Interestingly, Hornby have applied the livery better on the railroad model by correctly extended the red upto the bottom two roof slats, something the full fat version missed out.

The railroad version doesn't have some painted details like warning flashes, data panels etc. It runs well with a 5 pole limby motor bogie. With a bit of detailing and weathering the model can look fine alongside more expressive models.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

I'll probably get one to replace my very old Hornby HST that sounds like the dawn of man and can be overtaken by Smokey Joe! (Soooo embarassing)

And as the new one is DCC ready I may indulge in the Valenta sound chips too...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

I'll probably get one to replace my very old Hornby HST that sounds like the dawn of man and can be overtaken by Smokey Joe! (Soooo embarassing)

And as the new one is DCC ready I may indulge in the Valenta sound chips too...

Dont forget, Hornby TTS only works with DCC controllers under DCC operation.

12 hours ago, bart2day said:

Dont forget, Hornby TTS only works with DCC controllers under DCC operation.

If buying standalone decoders, that warning is plastered all over the carton, rather like health warnings on a packet of ciggies!

But yes, I took notice of that fact when Hornby introduced TTS, and I'm quite happy to run my DCC fleet on DCC energised tracks anyway.  I get quite twitchy when running DCC stock on DC, there's such a wide variation of output from DC controllers...

• Agree 2

On ‎22‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 19:09, Br60066 said:

Do we know of this is the Lima tool or Hornby’s original HST tool?

I believe the blue/grey one is ex lima tooling, whereas the GWR HST in the train set is the old Hornby tooling

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, meatloaf said:

I believe the blue/grey one is ex lima tooling, whereas the GWR HST in the train set is the old Hornby tooling

Good to know. Seems odd and needlessly expensive that they would use 2 toolings. Was the Lima one considered to be superior and if so why not just use that tool for all “budget “ hst’s  

Edited by Br60066
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I'll wait and see until the R1230M GWR HST train set arrives on the shelves (this autumn?)

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/gwr-high-speed-train-set.html

The technical specification says "DCC ready", 5 pole skew wound; the ex-Lima HST R2707 Virgin power car pack had the same spec.

Edited by gc4946
Clarified technical specification

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Br60066 said:

Good to know. Seems odd and needlessly expensive that they would use 2 toolings. Was the Lima one considered to be superior and if so why not just use that tool for all “budget “ hst’s  

Bering in mind different models are produced by different factories, having two sets of tooling allows for simultaneous production. Its also the case that certain tooling is only compatible with certain types of moulding machine - having two versions may therefore assist in securing the necessary production slots.

Also, in the case of the HST, having two 'railroad' toolings allows for different eras to be accommodated - The old Hornby tooling features a guards window in the power car (as per the initial batches of power cars) while the Lima version does not (as per later builds of power cars or the earlier builds that were subsequently modified.

Granted in this case things are a bit odd however because all the HSTs had long since lost their guards windows by the time GWR green started to be applied while in the BR Blue + grey era there were still plenty of HSTs with said guards windows.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, phil-b259 said:

Bering in mind different models are produced by different factories, having two sets of tooling allows for simultaneous production. Its also the case that certain tooling is only compatible with certain types of moulding machine - having two versions may therefore assist in securing the necessary production slots.

Also, in the case of the HST, having two 'railroad' toolings allows for different eras to be accommodated - The old Hornby tooling features a guards window in the power car (as per the initial batches of power cars) while the Lima version does not (as per later builds of power cars or the earlier builds that were subsequently modified.

Granted in this case things are a bit odd however because all the HSTs had long since lost their guards windows by the time GWR green started to be applied while in the BR Blue + grey era there were still plenty of HSTs with said guards windows.

Never thought about it that way thanks for the info :D

• RMweb Premium

I’m not sure where I saw it but I’m fairly sure that the forthcoming GWR green livery HST train set will be the ex-Lima model rather than the ex-Hornby model featured on the publicity shots of the box artwork. 

I don't think the pre-super detail Hornby HST power cars have ever had a chassis upgrade to make them DCC compatible?

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just had a notification that this has come into stock at Hattons but it also looks as though Kernow have got theirs?

Given the current LNER HST Farewell tour this is almost perfect timing from Hornby! Hopefully it'll sell like hot cakes.

Has anyone got a photo of the models? On both the sites I've seen it's still the pre-production photo and I can't tell if the livery is more like the correct prototypical version with yellow cab roofs etc.?

• Agree 1

Just a few days ago, I was in the Hornby Hobbies shop in Swindon Great Western outlet village.

• In one big display case, the Railroad range, with lower prices.
  • In another big display case, the "super detailed" range, with higher prices.

It took me quite an effort of concentration to go from one case to the other, and back again, several times, to get it clear in my mind just how much difference there is between the two ranges. It is significant, but like with so many things, if we want the extra quality we pay a higher initial price.

From personal experience, there is a hidden extra cost to buying anything from the Railroad range, or old Lima/Hornby from eBay. It's the emotional impact and disappointment when you get the Railroad item home and put it close besides besides anything from the "super detailed" range. Like : "Oh why did I buy that?" :sad_mini:

(insert headbang icon here).

My post-hoc attempts at rationalisations include explaining to the Financial Director that I was saving money. I'm not sure she believes me, and I'm not sure I believe it either.

Edited by KeithMacdonald
typo fix
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

7 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

From personal experience, there is a hidden extra cost to buying anything from the Railroad range, or old Lima/Hornby from eBay. It's the emotional impact and disappointment when you get the Railroad item home and put it close besides besides anything from the "super detailed" range. Like : "Oh why did I buy that?" :sad_mini:

(insert headbang icon here).

The solution is not to run them together...

I've not bought any "main Range" HSTs, but I've a couple of old Hornby ones that come out to play from time to time and nowadays are quite weary when in service, so a couple of new Railroad HSTs, especially once I've DCC fitted them (not worth doing with the old ones), will be perfectly ok.

I know what you mean though, I've a new tooling B12/3 and the difference between that and even the most recent China produced old tooling model is amazing.  I can't run them together...