Hornby RailRoad HST

MrTea

A check of Railroad spares at Peters Spares shows a bare dummy chassis and a lighting unit as available.  Perhaps more spares will become available with the Railroad release,  however, given that the Railroad Virgin release from many years ago did not stir up the spare parts market then I am not hopeful of seeing a plethora of spares in the market.  Some basic Lima spares are available that would fit.    The more I look at these locomotives I am tempted to simply add a few CD drive motors to both my fleets of Lima and Hornby class 43 diesels.    I purchased a dozen or so Susu motors from Finland(?) many years ago and as yet have not gotten around to fitting many of them,  but a Lima HST chassis with the Susu CD drive motor runs superbly.  My blue/grey Hornby models from the 1970's could do with a speed injection which the stock three-pole ringfield motors seem incapable of providing.  The CD drive motors would be ideal for them.

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, Waverley47708 said:

Thanks, had not realised these ones were potential donors.

Unfortunately a quick look on the web and (annoyingly) even places with them listed with a price are "Out of Stock".

Will keep my eye out.

Are you able to confirm the old Lima body will fit onto these Railroad chassis.

Even using that R number still can't find a Hornby service sheet.

Of course all this assumes the railroad motor is better than a serviced, wheels kept clean Lima motor in the first place!

Just to add to the confusion there is an old Hornby version of the Virgin HST aswell.

Monk Bar Models in York have several sets in stock they will do mail order  via the web or over the phone 01904 659423 http://www.monkbarmodelshop.co.uk

I work there a couple of days a week and we still had sets yesterday.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, GWR-fan said:

A check of Railroad spares at Peters Spares shows a bare dummy chassis and a lighting unit as available.  Perhaps more spares will become available with the Railroad release,  however, given that the Railroad Virgin release from many years ago did not stir up the spare parts market then I am not hopeful of seeing a plethora of spares in the market.  Some basic Lima spares are available that would fit.    

I think part of the difficulty is that there doesnt seem to be a service sheet for this yet, so its tricky to identify what spares will fit. 

2 hours ago, JohnR said:

I think part of the difficulty is that there doesnt seem to be a service sheet for this yet, so its tricky to identify what spares will fit. 

Given that as yet there is no service sheet for the 2008 Railroad release R2707 then I would not be holding my breath awaiting a sheet for the latest Railroad HST.  The Limby HST was basically a remotored Lima class 43 with the powered chassis modified to accept a five pole bogie drive.  Apart from wheels it appears that the unpowered version is unchanged from the old Lima unit.

4 hours ago, GWR-fan said:

Given that as yet there is no service sheet for the 2008 Railroad release R2707 then I would not be holding my breath awaiting a sheet for the latest Railroad HST.  The Limby HST was basically a remotored Lima class 43 with the powered chassis modified to accept a five pole bogie drive.  Apart from wheels it appears that the unpowered version is unchanged from the old Lima unit.

Does seem a little odd, but as you say there does not appear to be any service sheet available for the previous Railroad 125.  They do exist for other Railroad locos.

If anyone gets a Railroad 125 , can you post the a photo of he service sheet if there is one.

Thanks.

11 hours ago, MrTea said:

Garry (Cheekytek on YouTube) has posted a review which includes installing a decoder:

The installation starts at 7m 2s. 

Thanks, that is interesting.  Will have a look at my Lima chassis as I don't think it has all the lugs on this one.  The body may not have the recesses for them.

Keep in mind that the reviewer is comparing an old 1970's Hornby tooled model to a Limby (ex-Lima) model as presented as the latest Hornby Rairoad model.  The two models are totally different so any chassis comparison is irrelevant.

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, GWR-fan said:

Keep in mind that the reviewer is comparing an old 1970's Hornby tooled model to a Limby (ex-Lima) model as presented as the latest Hornby Rairoad model.  The two models are totally different so any chassis comparison is irrelevant.

Thanks, it is all a bit confusing, original Hornby, full fat Hornby, Ex Lima Hornby and Lima!  I've only looked at bits of the video so far.   I had realised at times he was comparing his new Limby to an old Hornby whilst he was also comparing it to the full fat Hornby as well.

I was comparing his Limby with my Lima at home and am pretty sure its chassis does not have the same lugs along the side.  That said the brief view I got if the inside looked to have the same tubes into which the chassis screw attach on my many Lima HSTs.

22 hours ago, outatime said:

The R1230 trainset looks like i could get a GWR HST for a reasonable price. Are there any additional coaches for it apart from the new Hornby ones?

I had a quick perusal of interweb looking for GWR mk3 coaches to add to my set and found TSO R4781E at hattons for £34, R4780 TGS at KMRC for £29.99 or Rails sheffield for £31.49 plus the not yet released retooled sliding door coaches.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 24/12/2019 at 07:21, Waverley47708 said:

Does seem a little odd, but as you say there does not appear to be any service sheet available for the previous Railroad 125.  They do exist for other Railroad locos.

If anyone gets a Railroad 125 , can you post the a photo of he service sheet if there is one.

Thanks.

Its not very informative...

service sheet_crop_3856x2808.jpg

PhotoPictureResizer_191226_235025534_crop_4068x3081.jpg

• Thanks 1

That is the maintenance sheet. There doesn’t appear to be a service sheet (parts breakdown) for the RR model yet as stated much earlier, only the ringfield 3 & 5 pole motor and central motor with cardan shaft to bogie towers variants. Looking at the maintenance sheet the can motored single power bogie chassis is almost identical to many other RR models so any could be used as a guide to dismantling for deep service. The main difference seems to be the body is held on by two screws into body posts, which have to be avoided if installing a decoder and speaker.

17 minutes ago, RAF96 said:

That is the maintenance sheet. There doesn’t appear to be a service sheet (parts breakdown) for the RR model yet as stated much earlier, only the ringfield 3 & 5 pole motor and central motor with cardan shaft to bogie towers variants. Looking at the maintenance sheet the can motored single power bogie chassis is almost identical to many other RR models so any could be used as a guide to dismantling for deep service. The main difference seems to be the body is held on by two screws into body posts, which have to be avoided if installing a decoder and speaker.

Just fitted mine with a TTS Ventela, lots of room for the speaker and chips IF you remove the massive glazing unit. Which is only need for the rear widows, most of it is superfluous!

IMG_1763.jpg

F9502489-A582-49AD-9067-9304CC1AFA7F.jpeg

Edited by miles73128
Update

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, miles73128 said:

Just fitted mine with a TTS Ventela, lots of room for the speaker and chips IF you remove the massive glazing unit. Which is only need for the rear widows, most of it is superfluous!

IMG_1763.jpg

I think you will find the glazing unit is needed to keep the body at the correct height on the chassis.

Mike

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, tarifa said:

I think you will find the glazing unit is needed to keep the body at the correct height on the chassis.

Mike

Nop, the body has extension tunnels for the two screws, the glazing simply sleeves over these tunnels, the screws do up (finger) tight, with the body firmly and correctly fitting on the chassis.  

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, miles73128 said:

Nop, the body has extension tunnels for the two screws, the glazing simply sleeves over these tunnels, the screws do up (finger) tight, with the body firmly and correctly fitting on the chassis.  

Referring to the video above its the same design as the old Lima version that uses the glazing to keep the to keep the body chassis proportion.  The 2 screw posts keep it together.

Mike

20 minutes ago, tarifa said:

Referring to the video above its the same design as the old Lima version that uses the glazing to keep the to keep the body chassis proportion.  The 2 screw posts keep it together.

Mike

Hi Mike

I think the reviewer got himself (somewhat) confused between the three models! So, I re-checked. Look at the following pics. To be sure, I put a blob of orange paint of the screw tower and re-assembled, you can clearly see that it mates and holds firmly in place. The glazing has no structural role within the Hornby assembly. I think it's role within the Lima unit is to hold the weight in place, not required with Hornby as the weight is glued down. 

IMG_1770.jpg

IMG_1771.jpg

IMG_1772.jpg

IMG_1773.jpg

IMG_1774.jpg

Edited by miles73128
Update
  • Thanks 1

On ‎24‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 14:40, kernowtim said:

Just happened to be walking past Kernow Model shop and there just happened to be a set in the window, seemed rude not to buy one!

In the background is part of the Hornby HST set my parents bought me nearly 40 years ago!

20191224_143027-1~2.jpg

Is the MK3 coach in the set the scale length one or one of the original 'shorty' versions?

11 minutes ago, irishmail said:

Is the MK3 coach in the set the scale length one or one of the original 'shorty' versions?

The shorty ones havent been in production for well over a decade!

Why would you think it was one of them?

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, miles73128 said:

Hi Mike

I think the reviewer got himself (somewhat) confused between the three models! So, I re-checked. Look at the following pics. To be sure, I put a blob of orange paint of the screw tower and re-assembled, you can clearly see that it mates and holds firmly in place. The glazing has no structural role within the Hornby assembly. I think it's role within the Lima unit is to hold the weight in place, not required with Hornby as the weight is glued down. 

IMG_1770.jpg

IMG_1771.jpg

IMG_1772.jpg

IMG_1773.jpg

IMG_1774.jpg

Thanks Miles for the photos, much appreciated.

The You Tube video was good and has inspired me to go for a Blue Grey set, this was not my plan initially when it was announced last year especially with the black cab roof in the publicity photos.  From the outset I did think it would be a chance to get a better motor though for at least one of my Lima sets.  I have a 6 x Lima Blue Grey power cars already (3 powered three dummies) and I think the same number of Intercity livery power cars.  I really liked Intercity Swallow but it is (just) out with my time period.

I use to love being at Waverly standing next to a departing HST.  The sight and sound of the front power car opening up next to you, the screaming Valenta, then as it picked up speed you would start to hear the rear power car as it approached you – happy happy days.

I always preferred the shape of the Lima over the old Hornby.  There was something about the shape of the nose in particular which I think was better.  The Lima HSTs run on my layout with a full rake of 8 x Hornby Mk3s.  The blue and the light grey are a little different but is barely noticeable but it is not as crisp as the Railroad livery application.  It is the motor that lets them down a bit.  The wheels have to be kept spotless for it to run with a full rake at a convincing speed. 

Having seen the video and the photos I think I will go for a Railroad Blue Grey set, on the assumption the motor and wheels are an improvement and the fact the livery shades between the Hornby Mk3s and the power cars will be a closer match.

The Intercity ones are a bit more problematic, Hornby are not doing an Railroad InterCity livery at this time and secondly the shade Hornby used previously  is noticeably different to my rake of (flushglazed) Lima Mks3s in Intercity livery.

I did try a replacement CD motor before but it did not end well.  It was a 3v version and it is maybe not a surprise.  I will try one of the 12v versions from Strathpeffer Jn for the Intercity liveried power cars and see how I get on.  Once I get my hands on a Railroad Blue Grey one, one of the first things I’ll do is see if the old Lima bodies fit on it.   The body and connections looks the same but the chassis is definitely not.   If I do decide to marry a Lima Intercity body with the Railroad motor it looks like I’d need a  chassis, motor bogie and a front bogie as I suspect the old Lima front bogie with the pin will not fit.  Any chance of a photo of the front bogie with the speaker moved out the way??

In the meantime would still appreciate it if someone can let me know if their old Lima body fits directly onto the new Hornby Railroad chassis.