Hi all, I’m fairly new to model railway-ing, and I’ve been intrigued by how you can fit detail and layouts in small spaces, so this thread is just a process of me learning detail in a small shunting layout and budgeting well. 

My intention is to have a complete small layout to take to university as something to look at in my down time. If you find the development of this layout interesting I look forward to hearing your feedback. Thank you

The images below are the first starts of my layout, it’s inside a 15 inch laptop box, using a LIMA shunter from the market. The platform is made from Westfoam A1 sheets 

CB01ECB3-0035-47FF-8D1F-995CE8D74CC1.jpeg

3978ED78-65FF-4B35-972D-D851D3C105B6.jpeg

F8835002-1160-47D6-9893-B06F0E1EAF00.jpeg

2FC0A3FF-764E-45FE-AA06-CC94E4B6091D.jpeg

• Like 11

27 minutes ago, Berry said:

Nice start. I'll follow your work with interest. Maybe you can find some ideas in this video:Nice start. I'll follow your work with interest. Maybe you can find some ideas in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlytgYOxyJo

Brilliant! Thank you so much I’ll give it a look! I’m glad you like the start of it, saw your oval layout as well, I like the look of that and the progress of it. Nice one!

• Thanks 1

Looks like a good start. Over the past year I've found having a shunting layout at Uni is certainly very therapeutic, even more so if there is very little setting up involved to be able to run trains.

As for this scene, I recommend you reinforce the base by sandwiching another layer of card or two - either the stuff you find as the back of paper pads, or a few layers of cereal box card, to allow the base to take glue and paint comfortably. I look forward to seeing what you can achieve!

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

5 hours ago, MrDuck said:

It’s great to see another little box layout coming together. As TA said it’s a good idea to reinforce the base of your layout.

On 22/06/2019 at 22:06, TechnicArrow said:

Looks like a good start. Over the past year I've found having a shunting layout at Uni is certainly very therapeutic, even more so if there is very little setting up involved to be able to run trains.

As for this scene, I recommend you reinforce the base by sandwiching another layer of card or two - either the stuff you find as the back of paper pads, or a few layers of cereal box card, to allow the base to take glue and paint comfortably. I look forward to seeing what you can achieve!

Hi guys, thanks for the advice, I put an extra layer of corrugated cardboard underneath both the fiddle yard/power track and the layout itself, and the track pins have been very sturdy when testing. Thank you both again for the advice. :)

835EC211-DE3C-4A89-BD6B-55B77B15869A.jpeg

1BB1446E-A923-437A-B8A9-4EC19FCC505B.jpeg

• Like 6

Great start Tom!

Very personally, I would be tempted to drop one of the sidings and just go for three. Then you could probably squeeze in a 3-2-2 inglenook, which would help with 'play' potential. Looking forward to seeing where this goes.

David 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, south_tyne said:

Great start Tom!

Very personally, I would be tempted to drop one of the sidings and just go for three. Then you could probably squeeze in a 3-2-2 inglenook, which would help with 'play' potential. Looking forward to seeing where this goes.

David 

Thank you very much, David! I had a little tweak with the track and removed the siding branching off closest to the platform, and in replacement a second island platform will be there as pictured below. Thank you for the advice, I like the look of it more now. Thanks again.

85CD1D57-89DF-432C-B9F1-E26EADB4A2B1.jpeg

• Like 5

6 hours ago, rodshaw said:

I see the shunter has incompatible couplings but no doubt you have plans to replace them.

Aha yeah, I have a spare OO Gauge compatible coupling hook which I need to attach to the front of the chassis and find another to replace the rear coupling. Serves its purpose for pulling rolling stock, but could do with new couplings.

UPDATE 27/06/2019:

Purchased a few more Westfoam boards from Hobbycraft and started making the details. Purchasing a basic roll of brick paper. To keep the budget quite controlled, applying the paper to the cut out allows for an extra layer inside the box, with a smoother edge as well. 

Also painting the platforms with a mixture of greys and stone colours to create a dirt and gritty platform as if it were relayed. The yellow lines are a bit rough around the edges but a tidy up later down the line will clean it up.

32D04907-C992-4A78-B21B-FC6CAC91A17B.jpeg

70083FB0-DA32-4A5E-8351-D302B4FCFC39.jpeg

3D380EEA-D6CF-4F4A-BBB2-F510EA50C1F4.jpeg

9FFA991A-5953-4F11-B198-11C882602CFE.jpeg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
On 06/07/2019 at 17:18, JamesGWR101 said:

That diesel shunter is unusual. Looking at it, i reckon it is a Lima model. Do you know what class it is supposed to represent or is it just a one off?

I can't remember the thread title but there is one somewhere on here I've read recently regarding that shunter. It is LIMA and the thread describes the origin. I think, from memory, it is based very loosely on a US one; the UK/BR livery is completely false.

Hope the above helps.

Edited by john new
  • Agree 1

On ‎06‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 17:18, JamesGWR101 said:

That diesel shunter is unusual. Looking at it, i reckon it is a Lima model. Do you know what class it is supposed to represent or is it just a one off?

I understand it's a Plymouth switcher and technically HO. They produced it in all sorts of liveries for the worldwide market. To be honest, it doesn't really look like anything that ever ran in the UK, but it's not totally implausible (after all, there have been American switchers in the UK, and industrial users often bought whatever they could get). The thread on pugbashes includes a few conversions where people have anglicised them, and it's impressive how much they can be improved for relatively little work.

(Full disclosure: I have one and all I've done is painted and weathered it)

On 12/07/2019 at 09:52, JamesGWR101 said:

Ok. The Lima shunter is not based on on any locomotive. 

So it is just a freelance shunter?

It's basically a Plymouth MDT model with a slightly extended front platform. I haven't been able to find anything exactly like it but there are some similar locomotives out there.

It is mostly a North American prototype but there's no saying that one couldn't have made its way across the pond.

• Thanks 1

On 13/07/2019 at 17:06, DanMacK77 said:

It's basically a Plymouth MDT model with a slightly extended front platform. I haven't been able to find anything exactly like it but there are some similar locomotives out there.

It is mostly a North American prototype but there's no saying that one couldn't have made its way across the pond.

Which locomotives look like it?

9 hours ago, DanMacK77 said:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2819449 is a North American example. There isn't much in the UK that resembles it. But since I know that there was some Alco switchers that were exported,adding a set of buffers on to a Lima Plymouth isnt a huge stretch.

800px-Alco_77120_at_Oswestry_03-08-30.jpeg

8 hours ago, Spotlc said:

Here you go, James:

1993420343_PlymouthMDT.jpg.e7191e55dfdbc18235d0702c8f477e47.jpg

Both locomotives look nice. Although i prefer the red Plymouth 0-4-0DH to the other one