Goods traffic on the SDJR

Guest Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

Following on from singular issues of tank wagons on the SDJR, has there ever been a definitive study and report on overall goods traffic on the SDJR?

I suppose it would best to look at the network as three branches as well as interegional traffic flows.

Cheers

Jack 

Guest Jack Benson

Moving on from the lack of response;

Our interest is the southern portion of the SDJR, but of the Dorset Central Railway there are very few* images from Peters or Lockett, however these images have been published;

• Open wagon being loaded with Cider apples at Poole harbour (Hamworthy branch)
  • Two images of fertiliser traffic at Blandford (with Pannier)
  • Military train ex Blandford near Spetisbury
  • Mixed goods crossing the Stour near Sturminster
  • Cattle wagons in Sturminster yard
  • Ballast train at Shillingstone
  • Milk traffic at Bailey Gate

and

A clip of a short goods, including covered wagon grain, near Sturminster  at 1:16

But compared with the northern half of the line, it is almost nothing.

*the myth that Ivo Peters never travelled south beyond Templecombe is still being trotted out as reason, this is undermined by his visits to Poole town quay to capture B4s 30093 and 30087 in the 50s. Neither did Peters capture Wincanton to any great extent, if at all.

Of course, it would be helpful if this post could be proved wrong and a slew of goods traffic images were published.

Cheers

Jack

Edited by Jack Benson

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jack,

Its not so much lack of response as there is just not information or records about the goods trains. Images are very rare, sadly enthusiasts concentrated on north of Templecombe. Until recently I had never seen a tender first working on a passenger train, then got 2 negatives at Wincanton showing that. A case of at the time it was not seen as the interesting bit, mores the pity.

I do have various waggons and a bit of shunting at Wincanton, now, but that's really it.

Regards

Duncan

Guest Jack Benson
1 minute ago, Blandford1969 said:

Hi Jack,

Its not so much lack of response as there is just not information or records about the goods trains. Images are very rare, sadly enthusiasts concentrated on north of Templecombe.

Regards

Duncan

Duncan,

The OP was about the system as a whole, therefore, quite surprised that there were no responses about the Somerset coal traffic or the Highbridge branch etc.

Cheers

Jack

• RMweb Premium

There are articles by Neil Burgess in LMS Journal on the economies being made on the S&DJ that shed some light on goods traffic, but these relate to the 1920s which I think is well before the period you are interested in? 1950s? Was not the Somerset coal field pretty well dead by then? 

Guest Jack Benson
1 minute ago, Compound2632 said:

There are articles by Neil Burgess in LMS Journal on the economies being made on the S&DJ that shed some light on goods traffic, but these relate to the 1920s which I think is well before the period you are interested in? 1950s? Was not the Somerset coal field pretty well dead by then? 

Hi and thank you,

You are correct, the BR years of the SDJR are our timeframe of interest.

The Somerset coalfield was becoming moribund by the late 40s and much of the remaining coal traffic was routed via the Bristol and North Somerset as Highbridge wharves were pretty much inaccessible to larger colliers.  Only Peters and Lockett seem to persist in capturing the last coal traffic whilst it lasted. 

The 50s WTTs provide a picture of reduced goods traffic, mostly agri-centric with only very limited Poole (Hamworthy) traffic traversing the system to beyond Bath. Often, rather than scheduled services, goods traffic was a 'Q' working, in that it only runs if required.

Cheers

Jack

Guest Jack Benson
13 hours ago, down the sdjr said:

I am sure you have all seen this but some great footage of the stour vally with a bit of frieght.

You are correct, a link to this clip of goods working on the Stour Valley appears in the second post of this thread.

Thanks for re-posting, there is never enough exposure of the Dorset Central Railway.

Cheers

Jack

6 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

You are correct, a link to this clip of goods working on the Stour Valley appears in the second post of this thread.

Thanks for re-posting, there is never enough exposure of the Dorset Central Railway.

Cheers

Jack

Oh yes you did, sorry to repeat.

I think all us modelers are all looking at the same stuff, i bought a Bachmann cattle wagon and Peco station buildings for my layout this week, notice you have the same for Child Okeford. I also like those Kernow hopper wagons.

I guess its hard to find anything new about the DCR.

There is a little known bridge near Fiddleford but im sure you all know about that as well.

Edit to add, when i took this photo i was amazed that 50 years ago evening star etc was running through that quiet spot. Heart breakingly beautiful.

IMG_2644.JPG

Edited by down the sdjr
add my emotions
  • Like 1

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

It isn't a problem duplicating links, the DCR needs more publicity and your Durweston idea is really interesting.

Keep looking at Child Okeford, six months ago I was in the situation as you, trying to find information but getting nowhere - that is why we share EVERYTHING on RM web and our group blog.  Look for the Child Okeford link at the bottom of this post.

Cheers

Jack

• RMweb Premium
On ‎06‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 10:28, Jack Benson said:

The Somerset coalfield was becoming moribund by the late 40s and much of the remaining coal traffic was routed via the Bristol and North Somerset as Highbridge wharves were pretty much inaccessible to larger colliers.  Only Peters and Lockett seem to persist in capturing the last coal traffic whilst it lasted. 

Norton Hill and Writhlington collieries were served by the S&D almost until the line's closure and, since until 1966 there was no connection between the S&D and the GWR at Radstock, their output was necessarily transported over the S&D towards Bath.

Although diminished, I don't think it would be true to say that the Somerset coalfield was moribund. It was thought to have sufficient prospects for the NCB to import miners from Durham to alleviate local manpower shortages.

• Agree 1

Guest Jack Benson
1 hour ago, Andy Kirkham said:

Although diminished, I don't think it would be true to say that the Somerset coalfield was moribund. It was thought to have sufficient prospects for the NCB to import miners from Durham to alleviate local manpower shortages.

The actual words* used were 'becoming moribund' as borne out by the eventual closure of the entire coalfield as described in the following paragraphs.

The total tonnage of coal produced by the coalfield increased throughout the 19th century, reaching a peak around 1901, when there were 79 separate collieries and production was 1,250,000 tons per annum. The peak years for production were 1900 to 1920. However decline took hold and the number of pits reduced from 30 at the beginning of the 20th century to 14 by the mid-1930s, 12 at nationalisation when the National Coal Board was created on 1 January 1947, under the Coal Industry Nationalisation Act 1946, 5 in 1959 and none after 1973. - Source Gould, Shane (1996). "The Collieries of North Somerset"

Despite some investment in new infrastructure, particularly at Norton Hill, thin seams made production expensive, limiting profit and investment. The conversion of Portishead power station from coal to oil and reduced national demand together with competition from more economical coalfields led to the closure of the last two pits, Kilmersdon and Writhlington, in September 1973.

*not 'moribund' word removed 

Cheers

Jack

Edited by Jack Benson
Provision of evidence as rebuttal

• RMweb Premium
On 08/07/2019 at 11:19, RailWest said:

The "exPoole en route to Bailey Gate" looks to me as if it is at Blandford heading south, so has it come up from Poole and then run-round to go back to BG for some reason ???

Several of my pics have found their way into this sequence, including the one quoted as "exPoole en route to Bailey Gate".  It was in fact the 6.35 from Evercreech leaving Blandford, as Chris says, and on its way to Poole. 

The pannier tank at Bailey Gate is interesting.  It can't be the return working of the 3.35 from Templecombe as there is no passenger coach in the formation.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting that the 4F with 11 empty minerals at Shepton Mallet is heading away from the Somerset coalfield ...and not towards it ?

Nice web page, thanks.

Regards,

Ian.

Guest Jack Benson

Masbury_signal.jpg.9b4857d0fb3843e0c85823878e4faa5a.jpg

Railwest,

Given the resolution of the image, that is about the best possible enlargement.

The captions are the ONLY information received with the images.

Jack

Thanks.

" 9760 Shunting".  Blandford.

" 1960 August 30th 43734 allocated Templecombe, arriving Evercreech Junction from Highbridge"    Interesting. If indeed it is in the process of arriving, then it has come in via the No 2 Siding (behind the North box), so would be at the wrong end of the train to shunt the up sidings. I wonder if many trains arrived by that route, as opposing to leaving that way for Highbridge?

" 1957 Highbridge"  On the Goods line between the East 'B' and East 'A' boxes. Given the tail-lamp on the van , is it heading back towards the station rather than towards the Wharf?

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

The photo pages on the blog have been taken down.

Update, pages now reloaded and a further page of images from Phil Sutter

It seems the phrase 'knowledge not shared is lost' is at risk.

Thank you

Jack

Edited by Jack Benson
Updated info

• RMweb Premium
On 10/07/2019 at 10:09, 03060 said:

Interesting that the 4F with 11 empty minerals at Shepton Mallet is heading away from the Somerset coalfield ...and not towards it ?

Nice web page, thanks.

Regards,

Ian.

There would be plenty of demand for coal from other coalfields, coal types that were not locally mined.

• Like 1

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

A final splurge of images has been uploaded on SDJR goods blog , unfortunately, the last for the time being.

Unfortunately both the supply of donated images has been exhausted and the long summer break is almost upon us.

it may not be much but at least it is a positive effort to raise awareness of a neglected subject. 

Cheers

Jack