uksteam.info - no recent updates?

MrTea

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone know if something's happened to the people behind uksteam.info?

The rail tours page normally gets updated every couple of days but it doesn't seem to have changed for about a month:
http://www.uksteam.info/tours/trs19.htm#twk

It's been my regular source of info on mainline steam trips for the past 5 years or so. I hope they're ok.

Ian

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

The website owner has been unwell, including a stay in hospital.

Not sure of his current health state but l believe he was quite poorly so may be a while before normal service is resumed.

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

While I do of course wish the website owner a full and speedy recovery, it has concerned me for some time what would happen to this valuable resource if they were no longer able to maintain it.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, rab said:

While I do of course wish the website owner a full and speedy recovery, it has concerned me for some time what would happen to this valuable resource if they were no longer able to maintain it.

I would imagine that there are a number of websites in this position, much as there are one man businesses in the same position.

Whilst trawling the net I found this site which seems to have some of the info uksteam provides.

https://www.railadvent.co.uk/eventscalendar

But as you say we can only hope that the owner of uksteam makes a full recovery or finds someone to take over his valuable site. 

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I use the Railway Herald Railtours site which seems to be kept up to date and includes all the timings info that UKSteam used to give me.

Railway Herald - Railtours Page

There is also a what’s new so you can keep up to date with what has been added and what as changed.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, MarshLane said:

I use the Railway Herald Railtours site which seems to be kept up to date and includes all the timings info that UKSteam used to give me.

Railway Herald - Railtours Page

There is also a what’s new so you can keep up to date with what has been added and what as changed

Thanks, also has the advantage of listing D&E powered tours! :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Thanks, also has the advantage of listing D&E powered tours! :)

And seems much more comprehensive in some aspects!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 26/09/2019 at 19:52, adb968008 said:

I hope we don’t lose UKsteam.

it is the only archival source, David translates the timings into his own native html format.

All other sites rely on real-time trains, and a week later the timings are expunged.

The timings stay on for a good three-four weeks on RTT, but you do need the specific URL for the timings, admittedly its not a permanent resource tho.

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 23/06/2019 at 15:03, rab said:

I see that following the death of David Randles last year who ran the uksteam.info website, it has now been brought back on line by Railway Herald magazine as a historical reference.  Not updated any longer, but useful for the old info that was on there.

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 1