Starting all over again

Having got a cake box for the first round and then only planning and getting bits together,  thought I should really have a go this time.  Probably won't finish on time, so this is going to be a work in progress really, but this will later form part of a small narrow gauge layout - and will push me into working on that!

cake_box_2.jpg.c659600fde5946a2a2b1030cda43bbdd.jpg

Firstly, we need a cakebox. Here are some members  of the Ferndean rambling and climbing club. They have come all the way from Ferndean, a station on the Lofton division of BR (that's Bill's railways).  :-)

They have discovered and climbed a cakebox, taking possession of it  so that it can be used to house this little project,  Starting All Over Again.

Edited by railroadbill
  • Like 1

This started off as components for a workshop and engine shed for a small narrow gauge railway.  The cakebox is big enough to contain the workshop part, so this is going to be a diorama inside a building.   When I get on with the narrow gauge layout  (I've built the base board)  I can use what I've done here in the cakebox  to go inside the shed which will be in the middle of the board.  I'll have to arrange it so that the interior can be seen from outside, but that's a later matter.  Meanwhile, on with the cakebox....

The layout will be 1:35th scale on 00 track.  Very simple track plan.  Because this is a popular scale for military etc modelling, there is a lot of  accessories, scenic bits, figures etc. out there.  I've seen several layouts at exhibitions over the years in this scale which looked good.  [Trouble was I then got some 009 stuff to add to my main 00 layout so got diverted...]     :-)

So my cakebox challenge is using parts from  a developing n.g. layout to use for a diorama with a story.

First thoughts:  "The perfect table railway"

P1100244.jpg.c0000ee2164ec0fb0e9b55a8a7d5f89c.jpg

In the early to mid 1950s,  Private Roper 56429  and Corporal  Benson  68392  are serving out their time with the USAF on an airbase in the east of England.   Some of their colleagues are maintaining the shiny toys of the cold war on the main part of the base in well lit and modern hangers using up to the minute equipment. That will give  them the experience after the military for well paid jobs in the coming age of jet airliners, so they are happy with their lot.

Not so Roper and Benson. They are stuck in a drafty, dirty  old workshop tucked away in a corner of the base.   Their task is to maintain any old trucks, jeeps and minor equipment that are considered too old and insignificant to be maintained by the main motor pools.

One day, bored senseless, they get rare passes off base. They wander into a toy-shop in the quite little nearby town.   There on a shelf is a boxed Hornby Dublo 3 rail train set!  Yes, it's the classic Flying Scotsman set!

Roper and Benson are at the bottom of the USAF pay scales but this still makes them very wealthy compared to anyone outside the US military living in the UK at the time  so the set is soon theirs. 

Back in the workshop, a workbench is quickly cleared and the model railway set up.  Their melancholy is soon dispersed by this shiny new equipment. Somehow, this represents a new start for them, a new hobby to take back to their families in the States.  They can look ahead to a new beginning.   

first_layout.jpg.32f33a733d58995f198e549f7cca6d65.jpg

Selection of  oil drums, buckets, compressor, hoist etc. to see how this could be arranged.   Mainly Tamiya parts.  Some of the jerry cans were passed on to me some years ago by an old friend, since passed on, who used them on a large coarse scale O gauge layout.  I've then painted them. His point was that a lot of 1:35th scenic parts were ok for 1:43rd because they weren't that much bigger and stuff like oil drums, sand bags etc looked ok.

[The BSA B20 is also Tamiya, nice little kit].

Edited by railroadbill
  • Like 1

table_d1_edited-1.jpg.fb6166718114da04e40b51c179201045.jpg

Table with real wood finish.  Pic just to give an idea of the size.

P1320224ed.jpg.1eff4b7546a404df9686c7dc89323a86.jpg

Mock up of Hornby Dublo Mallard and 2 coaches  in 1:35th scale.   I wasn't too sure I could produce a convincing model train in this size, and also it wasn't going to stand out enough in the diorama.  Regretfully, it needed a bigger centre piece.

And so...  a few days later....

Cake Box challenge Part 2 part deux....

Starting All Over Again

P1090566.JPG.f433531a88b70548252b67522fabddb9.JPG

Similar scenario to last time but now the workshop is near the end of a narrow gauge railway  once used on the airfield during WW2 but long  abandoned.  Our 2 likely lads have discovered a long forgotten loco and haul it into their workshop to try and get it going again.  Think it will all fit in ok.  

P1090567.JPG.6c015ebea2a1f0955d31c3c6a7e82021.JPG

Loco is a K's TVR 0-4-0 saddle tank.  About the same size as a quarry Hunslet or similar in this scale. If I find the chassis it can sit on that otherwise it'll have to rest on baulks of timber for now.  Arbitrary figure for trial purposes.

P1090568.JPG.daf8b2be580086a156d934bbc58882ac.JPG

Different arrangement.  The track looks ok when 1/3rd the way across the floor (classic photographic thirds composition).

• Like 2

P1090569.JPG.76c4b1c3776873f2fdf7f41548a64e53.JPG

Or maybe this as a start.

P1090570.JPG.c2b811d99b153334ad98dc45b3c079f8.JPG

I got one of these Hornby CR 0-4-0 tanks intending to convert it to "narrow gauge" appearance. But it runs surprisingly well on the main layout so I've kept it as it is  in case the grandchildren take an interest sometime.  But it does fit in a cake box...

Edited by railroadbill
  • Like 2

P1100697ed.jpg.dc7ba43b0ce218f58962c8405fdc02a7.jpg

Base cut into 3 pieces to allow the track to be set into the floor.  It's some thick polystyrene sheet that used to be display boards and had felt glued to it. Taking that off left a rough surface that is useful to represent concrete.  The top part sits on an 8" square of expanded polystyrene.

P1100702ed.jpg.fc9ea0c14913c955ab506c805de66022.jpg

Now painted a concrete colour (thanks to Halfords grey primer)  with a matt black aerosol paint misted over it from several feet up.  In the garden on a sunny day.   [I did have to remove some grey and black grass from the lawn afterwards].  :rolleyes:

Edited by railroadbill
  • Like 2

Thanks for the encouraging  comments,  MrDuck, much appreciated.  

I'm going to get the layout board out to see how the 8" by 8"  segment will (eventually) fit.  Have to be Wednesday now.  Also paint and glue drying on a couple of other things...

• RMweb Premium

Great stuff.  I do like the story telling bit which gives it so much more life.  The deadline itself is a challenge:  it just goes to show how much thought and work can go into creating an 8'x8" diorama but also that meeting it is not at the expense of doing a good job. 

Polly

• Thanks 1

P1100737.jpg.d40bdab13277aa5f6728f8f2f58326a2.jpg

Most of this project has involved weathering old oil drums.  :-)

P1100742.jpg.8b5a961be96fa36ba3439cb47f896120.jpg

As an aside, here's a BSA B20, the classic WW2 motor cycle, just the thing to be dumped in the back of the shed. Perhaps one of the mechanics uses it or is doing it up.  Tamiya kit, loads of detail.

• Like 1

P1100796.JPG.cea1d24ed0995150324964dc9d8159c8.JPG

The lads have been painting one of the cab side sheets. Apple green, there's a good colour.  The loco is a mock up using a Ks TVR tank from long long ago.  Somewhere there's the chassis but until that's found the loco will have to rest on baulks of timber.  I measured the chimney height on a picture of a Bachmann quarry Hunslet  and also on a picture of Wren, one of the works shunters at Horwich that's now in the NRM. I used the ratio between chimney height and tank length on those  to cut and fit a stovepipe chimney to the model.

P1100799.JPG.3ad9f90c048e876b23910d70a1c382b4.JPG

The paint pot was lent to me by my grand daughter. Thanks!  It comes from one of her  play sets, think it was either Sylvanian families shop (they are rabbits) , or Lego Disney princess palace.  Frankly, the components  on these toys are very well engineered, look realistic and fit together perfectly.  Lots of stuff that can be repurposed for model railways!

Edited by railroadbill
  • Like 1

Where this is going.

P1100804.JPG.2c810526cc432bbe57a0ab4b04fca435.JPG

It's a 31.5" by 15"  baseboard  which i made for a narrow gauge layout.  the idea is that there will be a loop of 00 gauge track, with a point and a siding going into a shed inside the loop.  The cake box is roughly where the shed building will be.  A back scene to run along roughly in front of the back joint between the cork tiles.  The engine shed partly fits into that. perhaps there is a storage siding behind the back scene.

This is 1:35th scale, an experiment because I wanted to try very small locos like say a Lister Auto Truck, which would give a little more room to motorise than 1:43rd scale on 00 track.

So far I've made the baseboard, and thanks to the cake box challenge I have the interior of the shed. It's possible I might have to cut down the size of the building when I've decided what it should look like.

P1100806.JPG.4faca6329dc61a3eb2911f5f946976d4.JPG

Front 2/3rd or so of board to be scenic.

Edited by railroadbill

P1100810.JPG.83210e1f6383b1d0b0a582581c89eee6.JPG

So there we are.  Will Private Roper and Corporal Benson manage to get the loco running again?  Will there be a track for it, or indeed any other NG locos, to run on?  Will any walls for the workshop ever appear?  Tune in same train time, same train channel!

P1100800.JPG.3a2a6e5b6a6463ccacdc2622049318d0.JPG

Time to go home.

Roper and Benson are saying goodbye, goodbye.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1