Class 305 (AM5) EMU

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, roythebus said:

The main thing that puts me off these kits is the fiddly bit of sticking door hinges and handles on all in line. How did you manage that? 

For the hinges I drew pencil lines along the body sides where the hinges should be and attached them with little dabs of super glue applied with the end of a cocktail stick.  I used the wetted end of a needle file handle to offer up the hinges.  I could have used a cocktail stick for that as well but that would risk gluing it to my tongue...

Cheers

Darius

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Seeing this thread brought back memories.  I used to commute from Turkey Street to Seven Sisters on the GE version of these.  My abiding memory was that no one could sit on the bench seat across each end of the carriage for too long because of the extreme bouncing.

EMUs are tricky to model and these look really good. 

Tim

• Thanks 1

Speaking as a former 305 rider (out of Liverpool Street), That's beautiful job. Back in 1960, those were brand new and in the original darker green that for few short years was so much nicer than then current lighter green of the original Shenfield stock.  The Chingford stock had the larger windows of course, but converting the DC kits to those realistically would require a great deal more precision work.  The other difficulty is of course the slightly proud (unique?) inset window frames and the indentations by them to allow for the vertical windows to be set into the curved metal sides. Not easy to do in 4mm scale.

Tim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 19/07/2019 at 11:28, cravensdmufan said:

Brilliant.

15 hours ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

Brilliant work.  Im very envious!

Thanks guys.  I would also like to thank everyone else, especially Bernard TPM, for their encouragement and help with information etc.  It is really appreciated.

That is RMWeb at its best with people helping to improve the modelling.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice to see it finished1 I've got a box of round tuits to finish, including an AM4 from Comet etched sides, scratch-built ends, Adrian Swain underframes and Triang roofs! again the door hinges are a pain! and I still haven't done the 2-car DMMU mentioned earier up the thread.

The AM4 was started in about 1980...

• Like 3

A lovely, evocative build that really ‘fits’ in my memories of Liverpool Street to Ware from ‘66 to ‘75 - my father did the commuting, I just went along to be an annoying kid home for the holidays! I recall them from green to blue/grey.

Now all we need to do is persuade Charlie up at DC kits to reintroduce them - 305/1, 305/2 and the 304/308. It seems Southern Pride no longer markets theirs either, leaving just Worsley Works’ etched offering. Alas.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...