The 1890s Railway Race to the North

This afternoon I tried to re-enact in my garden a Race to the North in live steam gauge 1 with a Stirling Single and a Precedent class:

As far as I know LNWR Hardwicke was indeed in this race but not Stirling Single No 1 but another Stirling Single, But the locomotives run fast enough not to see the number ;)

Regards

Fred

Edited by sncf231e
typo
  • Like 17

It looks like the Caley 123 is an 0 gauge model and not 1 gauge like the trains in my video. I recognise the 0 gauge coaches which are made by ACE. I have 2 of these:

Regards

Fred

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

Is it just me, but does the lazy stroke of that outside con-rod onto the eight foot driver just ooze the effortless superiority to which late Victorians must aspire? I can almost make out a thesis for the late revival of singles for express work being more a cultural statement than anything boring about steam sanding gear. 

• Like 4

• 8 months later...
On 23/06/2019 at 20:19, sncf231e said:

This afternoon I tried to re-enact in my garden a Race to the North in live steam gauge 1 with a Stirling Single and a Precedent class:

As far as I know LNWR Hardwicke was indeed in this race but not Stirling Single No 1 but another Stirling Single, But the locomotives run fast enough not to see the number ;)

Regards

Fred

Say, do you reckon we can place our bets on them like racehorses at the racetrack?

Not sure about bets, but will you be passing the West Coast train over to CR No. 90 for the run to Perth, followed by No. 17 for the victorious run on to Aberdeen on 22nd/23rd August 1895?

Jim

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...