Departmental rolling stock colours

• RMweb Gold

Try as I might, I cannot find an answer to when down the years the various Departmental colour schemes changed. I model the early 1980's which means (I think) I should have a rolling stock in a combination of engineers green and the later yellow. I know that older liveries could always be found given that refurbishing Departmental stock was usually a low priority and, as it happens, I have a couple of black grampus wagons.

I am sure that someone on RMWeb will be able to confirm/advise the correct names of the paint colours and when abouts they were introduced. To the best of my knowledge, the following list of colours reflects  those found from the late 1950's, the diesel era.

Black

Gulf Red

Engineers olive green

Yellow

1984 Dutch  yellow and grey

Contributions welcomed

Thanks Rob

Edited by young37215
Correction

• RMweb Gold

IIRC, Gulf Red arrived in 1962 (ish) and Olive green only 2-3 years later. so relatively few vehicles received the former and most went straight from black to olive.

Two other factors come into play, the Gulf Red wasn't exactly resilient and the application of olive green was pursued with a level of enthusiasm hitherto unusual in the realm of departmental rolling stock.

I'd therefore suggest that the likelihood of any substantial numbers of wagons still being in Gulf Red as late as 1980 is pretty slim.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
Response to later posts
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

I'd therefore suggest that the likelihood of any wagons still being in Gulf Red as late as 1980 is pretty slim.

John

So why do I have photos of them and an article in MB.

All of this has been discussed many times, use Search

And yellow was never a livery for wagons only ex dept. coaching stock

All my photos have date on them.

Paul

8 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

IIRC, Gulf Red arrived in 1962 (ish) and Olive green only 2-3 years later. so relatively few vehicles received the former and most went straight from black to olive.

Two other factors come into play, the Gulf Red wasn't exactly resilient and the application of olive green was pursued with a level of enthusiasm hitherto unusual in the realm of departmental rolling stock.

I'd therefore suggest that the likelihood of any wagons still being in Gulf Red as late as 1980 is pretty slim.

John

Gulf red wagons lasted!

At least two catfish were at York into the late 1990’s and a  LNER design BR built DE prefix ballast Brake was at Low Fell till about 1990 when they received a coat of green.

Mark Saunders 

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

All of this has been discussed many times, use Search

I have searched RMWeb extensively and not managed to find the answer I seek hence my question.  It maybe that I have not found the key word to identify the information I require. I am pretty sure that you know the answer which would have taken far less time to type than the acidic comments you chose to add. From the constructive contributions to the thread so far which I gratefully acknowledge, I summarise:

Date               Colour

Introduced

1962              Gulf Red 

1965              Olive Green 

Yellow for coaching stock only, wagons remained Olive Green 

1984              Dutch Yellow and grey

Edited by young37215

With the availability of so many images online, I abide by the rule of model what you see. Don't get hung up on exact start dates for types and liveries unless you're modelling within a transitional period specific to the subject. Our perception of era's tends to warp with the passage of time. As an example, the Stagecoach run South West Trains franchise was actually in existence longer than the Southern Railway Company which perceptively seems (to me anyway) to have lasted for decades...