Robert Stephenson co 4-4-0 t Drawings?

I'm putting this here rather than in Irish, as RS co was a British maker irrespective of where the locos ended up !

I'm wanting to build a RS co 4-4-0 t. (as used on the Cavan & Leitrim from 1887 til 1958) the engines were 3ft narrow gauge.

The only kit of these I'm aware of was made by Backwoods who no longer exist, so I'm going to have to build from scratch, I'm hoping someone could steer me towards some decent drawings to work from, I've not found anything helpful on t'internet 

The above kit was in 4mm model scale but for 3ft narrow gauge, ( 00n3  ? )

I'd probably be looking at a 4mm model initially, tho if I'm going total scratch build it's maybe tempting to try 7mm !

Here's one of the beasts in question..

violet-4l-e1558709047540.jpg

Edited by Porkscratching

There is a drawing by Emslie (I think) but it has some pretty big errors in places (no rear cab windows or beading for starters). Given that two of them survive I'm a bit surprised that there isn't a better one to be honest (not criticising Mr Emslie, I suspect there might be a lot more information about now/available than when the drawing was done, and I haven't done one so can't talk!)

I was asked to look into the feasibility of 3D printing a body/chassis for one in 7mm scale. In the end we decided not to as it's quite big for printing and the drawings weren't great).

The drawings are in the 7mmNGA Irish drawings booklet, which is worth buying if you have an interest in 7mm NG stuff.

https://7mmnga.org.uk/sales/publication_details.php?ref=NLE06

Edited by brack
  • Thanks 1

That's great I'll check it out ..I also put this question in the Irish group on here, hopefully it's not too frowned upon to ask the same thing in two sub groups !

I believe there's a specifically Irish railway forum out there on the internet, may be worth joining that and asking on there.

Anyway thanks again for that link.. I'll doubtless get the book anyway ! 

Update..Just ordered the book, there's no doubt some other interesting stuff in there too, and for 7 quid you cant go far wrong.!

Edited by Porkscratching

3 hours ago, micknich2003 said:

If a drawing as been printed in the model press post 1950, there is a good chance I will have the magazine. If you find a ref I will willingly do you a scan.

I asked on the Irish group too, and apparently Railway Modeller of May '58 had some , albeit basic, drawings of the loco and coaches ?  Bit of a long shot, do you by any chance have that edition?.. 

There was quite a few Irish narrow gauge drawings around about that time. Probably because of TT gauge.

I don't think I've got them though, a bit earlier than my collection. They do come up on eBay quite often, or try Magazines Exchange. Sometimes you find a full year for a couple of pounds at heritage railways.

http://magazineexchange.co.uk/cw/Railway-Modeller-1957

But I believe from a previous thread that someone was going to re release the Backwoods narrow gauge kits. N Drive?

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/130011-is-backwoods-miniatures-defunct/

Jason

N drive was mentioned on the post on the Irish group, I looked them up, i get the impression its one bloke doing it in his spare time and looks like it doesnt get updated much, 2015 was mentioned, theres no Irish stuff on there or in the 'future works' bit, so I doubt that's going to happen unfortunately..

9 minutes ago, Porkscratching said:

N drive was mentioned on the post on the Irish group, I looked them up, i get the impression its one bloke doing it in his spare time and looks like it doesnt get updated much, 2015 was mentioned, theres no Irish stuff on there or in the 'future works' bit, so I doubt that's going to happen unfortunately..

I believe you have to get in touch with him as he does things to order. But I also think he's not very up on technology such as computers.

Jason

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Porkscratching said:

That's absolutely brilliant ! Thanks so much for the diagrams, gives me an excellent tangible starting point !

I'll see if I can hunt down any info the Model Railways issue too.

If you find further dates, I will see what I can do.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, micknich2003 said:

Page from May 1958 Railway Modeller attached.

1_Narrow_Gauge_.jpg

That's the same drawing as the 7mm NGA booklet (but rescaled).

This photo of the cab rear of the preserved loco at cultra (from Chester Mrc's site) should show one or two of the problems with the drawing:

i.jpg

From memory the dome and chimney are not symmetrical as drawn either. It might give you a decent starting point for scratch building but I wouldnt start what was effectively a kit from something heavily flawed. Be careful and use lots of photos to inform.

• Thanks 1

Good point!

I mentioned on the other post in the Irish group I'd been aware that the rear cab of one or more of the locos had the rear cab modified for working on the Arigna mine branch, the cut outs in your pic would certainly give improved visibility going bunker first, maybe there lies the discrepancy ?

Someone else confirmed modification had happened in that manner too ( good to know at least I wasn't imagining it! )

On 25/06/2019 at 00:33, Steamport Southport said:

I believe you have to get in touch with him as he does things to order. But I also think he's not very up on technology such as computers.

Jason

I had a chat on the phone with him this morning, very nice chap, he said he'd get back to me with what parts he has available for the ex backwoods kit, so hopefully I'll be able to acquire one in the not too distant future !

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As a very slight aside, you might want to have a look at Andrew Barclay drawings. There is a 4.4.0 tank AB tank preserved in New Zealand. A bit far to go, but the drawings reside in the Glasgow university Archives. Be aware however, that the original is 3'6" gauge, as opposed to 3' gauge.

Ian.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 25/06/2019 at 08:35, Porkscratching said:

I asked on the Irish group too, and apparently Railway Modeller of May '58 had some , albeit basic, drawings of the loco and coaches ?  Bit of a long shot, do you by any chance have that edition?.. 

It does have basic drawings of C&L No.9 0-6-4T & No. 2 4-4-0T. Also drawings of 'standard open wagon' and 'high capacity open wagon'. No coaches.

August that year has 'standard box van'

September has '4 wheel brake van' and 'bogie composite brake'.

However, my scanner isn't to brilliant, but if no one else comes along, I'll give it a try.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 30/06/2019 at 22:52, Porkscratching said:

Someone kindly sent me the May 58 drawings, but the other stuff would be great, doesn't matter if it's not the best quality copy it's the info that matters! ;)

OK, I'll see what I can do in the next few days.

• Thanks 1