Cavan & Leitrim 4-4-0 loco drawings

I have also asked on the general forum as it possibly gets more views, but is an Irish topic really, now I'm wanting to build a 4-4-0 locomotive as used on the C&L, ie a Robert Stephenson co made engine of I believe 1887 ( thats when the C&L started anyway, and they ordered 8 locos)

Basically I'm going to have to scratch build as the only producer of a model no longer makes them or indeed trades at all.

I'm after  some drawings to work from, I've looked online with no success, so hoping someone might be able to assist ! ..Most grateful for any info..

cl-003-e1558281880130.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I've checked my collection of Irish NG books and disappointingly none of them include C&L 4-4-0T drawings. There is one preserved at Cultra and a drawing will exist somewhere.....several models have been built.

• Thanks 1

Hello

There are drawings in the 7mm NG Association 'Narrow Lines Extra No 6' 1988

Also a rather basic 4mm drawing in Railway Modeller May 1958

(If you're talking 4mm scale, didn't N-Drive take over the Backwoods Irish range, so maybe the kit will reappear some day)

I'll try and attach a copy of the RM drawings for you to see if they're worth having.

C&L dwgs May 58 4-4-0T and wagons.doc

Edited by johnarcher
  • Thanks 2

Thanks gents much appreciated,

John, the attachment wont open for me unfortunately, someone else said if I could find a magazine entry they may be able to scan it for me from their collection, so at least I've got a RM issue identified!

I looked up N drive, and they don't seem to be proposing any Irish stuff, it also looks like its not been doing anything very active since 2015 ? It seems to have been one chap doing it in his spare time from what i can gather.

Edited by Porkscratching

Sorry that didn't work, I'll try again as a different sort of file. If that doesn't work let me know and I'll try and send with a PM.

If you do ever get a chance to lay your hands on the Backwoods kit, either secondhand or via N-drive it's worth doing so, it's quite a nice kit. I made a couple of them.

RM 1958 4-4-0T dwg.jpg

Edited by johnarcher
  • Thanks 2

Bear in mind the cab backs are wrong check photos for your loco as there are 2 types.It would be worth checking with Neville as he now has the Backwoods Irish range and has already released some of the rolling stock kits.The C&L kits makes up nicely(having done three) apart from rectifying the cab rear issuse,guess which drawing Pete used ! Andy. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Castlefinn said:

Bear in mind the cab backs are wrong check photos for your loco as there are 2 types.It would be worth checking with Neville as he now has the Backwoods Irish range and has already released some of the rolling stock kits.The C&L kits makes up nicely(having done three) apart from rectifying the cab rear issuse,guess which drawing Pete used ! Andy. 

If i can find one ( or more!) Of those kits I'll grab them for sure!

I seem to recall from somewhere that the rear cab(s) were modified on one or more locos for use on the Arigna mine branch..maybe for better visibility going 'bunker first' ???   ( Just something that sticks in the mind regarding cabs)

As a little aside, the Mrs is currently over in Leitrim visiting the old folks and she sent me a couple of pics of the old Ballinamore station, which you can also just see in the pic at the top of the page, with the distinctive twin gabled roof, this loco pic shows it better for comparison, the building is all that's left, but at least it is preserved in good condition.. 

Where the big field is now would have been mostly track, Ballinamore was the main depot for the C&L with engine sheds , workshops and all the usual malarkey, what a shame it all disappeared..

IMG_20190625_182120_282.JPG

IMG_20190625_183631_151.JPG

Edited by Porkscratching
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Re the cab backs. IIRC (can't check, don't have the books any more), 4 were built with cut-away cabs for the tramway, the rest straight. I'll attach pictures of No 8 (tramway cab) and No 2 (straight).

2L cab back.jpg

8L rear.jpg

Edited by johnarcher
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Porkscratching said:

Lovely shots to work from !

Yes, the colour one's nice. I do rather like grubby engines.

I'm happy if the stuff is helpful, I've had useful help from people on RmWeb myself (especially recently from Albyn about Bishop's Castle matters), so it's nice to able to be helpful in my turn.

As I said I no longer have the C&L books I had, but I still have a fair number of photos and some other information on the computer, so if anything else may be of use..........

Edited by johnarcher
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

I have an unfinished Backwoods kit. I can probably scan the instructions and send you them tomorrow. Also the drawing in the 7mm book, unless that's the same as the drawing already uploaded above by John Archer.

You may want to join the Irish NG groups on yahoo groups - they have a horrible UI but several of the well known Irish modellers are there. 

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/00n3_modellers/info

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/irish_three_foot/info

(including Neville, the current owner of the Backwoods 00n3 range)

Hope this helps.

John

Edited by JohnGi
fixed link
  • Thanks 1

Just to add Neville posted this to the yahoo group on June 8

Just to bring things up to date, the C & L Passenger Brake and C & L 22L bogie van are now being sent out and should now be available ex-stock, the next to be released will be the CDR Oldbury coach set which will be priced at £115 for the set of 3, plus the usual £3 per order for UK p+p. They will be supplied complete with wheel sets, castings, etches and glazing. 

On the loco/railcar side I now have all the etches and the castings are in stock or ordered, the mechanisms still have to be sorted out but some will have the option of the original Backwoods drive or a RTR 12mm gauge N-Drive unit, more news will be passed on as things progress, many thanks Nev

So he is active, although his website may not have been updated yet.

John

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, JohnGi said:

Hi,

I have an unfinished Backwoods kit. I can probably scan the instructions and send you them tomorrow. Also the drawing in the 7mm book, unless that's the same as the drawing already uploaded above by John Archer.

You may want to join the Irish NG groups on yahoo groups - they have a horrible UI but several of the well known Irish modellers are there. 

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/00n3_modellers/info

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/irish_three_foot/info

(including Neville, the current owner of the Backwoods 00n3 range)

Hope this helps.

John

Yes please! Any scans , drawings , intel of any kind is most welcome and gratefully received !

Hi,

A couple of files are attached. The 7mm association book seems to have the same drawing (by J.A.N. Emslie) as that posted above, but I included it anyway as there was a photo of one of the engines, and some words by David Lloyd.

By the way I think Alphagraphix do a card kit for a Cavan and Leitrim station, possibly Ballinamore (F504). 

Hope this helps.

John

IrishNGDwg10.pdf BackwoodsInstructions.pdf

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

There are eleven A4 pages on the C&L R Co with 45 photos of  locos, rolling stock and buildings in Volume 6 of 'A History of the British Steam Tram' by David Gladwin, published by Adam Gordon. There are however no drawings. I got my copies of Vol. 3 and Vol. 6 in a local antique market for fairly sensible amounts. On looking to see if I could get other volumes online, I found that they were going for £50+.

Edited by phil_sutters
'A4' added to point out the large format.
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Your post prodded me to look and see what I have got. Drawings for the ex T@D carrs 21&22 and the bogie van and a drawing for a Passage 2-4-2 plus some stuff from other ng lines. If you pm me your address I will post them to you.  

Regards Mick

• Thanks 1

Comparing the original drawing in RM, with the one in Backwards instructons, and it is useful having the cab detail shown, but there are differences in the drawings, Only realised when I printed both out at same scale. The dome is in different position, and boilers are different lengths. Were the locos modified apart from the cabs?

Also looking at some photos and dome is even further forward. The works photos show this clearly.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
spell check

I believe the 8 locos they originally had were mostly all repaired, had parts swapped, reboilered and modified to a degree over the years, Ballinamore had very good facilities originally, which was then unfortunately taken from them ,after which locos went to Inchicore for major work, can't remember chapter and verse, but at least a couple had different domes after reboilering, so there's doubtless a fair bit of variance between the sister locos. I've amassed a reasonable number photos of the locos in life, seen from various angles, and will naturally be giving them close scrutiny!