Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Are You Building a Temporary Layout, or the Ultimate One?

Layout Types  

75 members have voted

1. 1. What Layout Type are You Building?

• The Ultimate "all bells and whistles" Layout
    • The "one that I'll replace in the future" Layout
    • The "I just want to run trains" Layout
    • The "test track" Layout
    • Another type that isn't listed

• RMweb Gold

Well, I've moved on a week. By a pure fluke, we've had contractors in to sort out our driveway. Whilst they are there, I asked "can you sort out the earth bank in the garden?" So, the deed has been done. It's not finished yet, as I've got to build a retaining wall, with all of the necessary drains & backfill. What I 'should' end up with, is a space to get in a shed measuring approximately 24' x10'. It's not exactly Llantrisant Yard, but we'll see. 

My phone camera is very old, and I'm never too good at taking these, but, here we are. 

Thanks to Johnster of this parish, who's given me some subtle encouragement to get off my ar$e, and get on with it.

IMAG1228[1].jpg

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I always thought there would be an "ultimate layout," but I think I'm just not focused enough for that one layout of a lifetime. I'm more of an eternal builder of micro-layouts. Given that most of them are set in the same fictional universe, perhaps they're all part of a bigger meta-layout that only exists in my head?

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 18/07/2019 at 09:20, tomparryharry said:

Well, I've moved on a week. By a pure fluke, we've had contractors in to sort out our driveway. Whilst they are there, I asked "can you sort out the earth bank in the garden?" So, the deed has been done. It's not finished yet, as I've got to build a retaining wall, with all of the necessary drains & backfill. What I 'should' end up with, is a space to get in a shed measuring approximately 24' x10'. It's not exactly Llantrisant Yard, but we'll see. 

My phone camera is very old, and I'm never too good at taking these, but, here we are. 

Thanks to Johnster of this parish, who's given me some subtle encouragement to get off my ar$e, and get on with it.

IMAG1228[1].jpg

You're welcome to whatever help I've been, mate.  Good to see progress!

I have given up aiming to do the 'ultimate layout'. 8 years ago (I'm now 33) in my mid 20s, I started planning to do somewhere on the Flylde Coast....bought all the stock only to end up selling it again. Then I planned to do Thirsk on the ECML in 1938 only to again realise it wasn't for me.

Recently I planned to extend my Cwm Prysor layout and continue onto Bala....only again to realise I couldn't afford it and lost the interest.

The worse thing in all of this? All the help I've had (planning, advice etc), only to end up abandoning these projects. I've now realised I do not have the focus to plan and work on the ultimate layout. I admire those that are planning and building layouts over 5...10....15 years etc.... I wish I could, but I just do not think I'm wired that way. The hobby is my copping mechanism for life, and sometimes I throw myself into these projects, just to escape the turmoil of the real world for my own mental wellbeing....only to regret it later.

I'm currently enjoying my new layout I'm building (with Cwm Prysor to finish too of course). I just wish I hadn't got as carried away as I have in the past and let people down.

• Friendly/supportive 4

13 hours ago, Tom F said:

I've now realised I do not have the focus to plan and work on the ultimate layout. I admire those that are planning and building layouts over 5...10....15 years etc.... I wish I could, but I just do not think I'm wired that way. 

There is nothing wrong with this, I am of exactly the same mindset. I am full of awe and admiration for those who can take on a big 'lifetime' layout project and stick to one furrow. Sadly I have realised I can't do this. I have too many I interests and potential projects in my head to commit to one thing. Some may call it a scatter-brained approach, highlighting a lack of focus and 'stick-a-bility' and they are probably right. I just don't have the attention span for a long-term project, hence why I love micro layouts. 

Having said that, there is room for every approach and, as I use this hobby for escapism from the real world, I will just enjoy it in the way I want to! :) Sounds a little selfish really but modelling should be all about enjoyment for me and should never become a chore. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1