Building Signals Cheaply

Is there a way to build some cheap moden colour light signals?

Ones that will turn red when a train passes, then through yellow, then green?

I know Train Tech (?) do some that just clip on but at £40 a go, it would be a lot of investment that I'm not quite ready for as yet.  But wanted to explore a possibility of a cheaper alternative to see what would work / what wouldn't work?

Not really bothered about blocks or route indicators (yet!), although as a quick thinkin-out-loud guess a route indicator to a siding could be added with a switch so when the point is thrown, power would feed into that siding, which could be connected to the indicator.  I did something similar by accident once where a siding wasn't powered by it's own droppers.  The plus side meant if the point wasn't the correct way, nothing could wander out of the siding.  The down side is the buffer light wouldn't be on if the point wasn't thrown.

Cheers!

There are several ways of restoring a model railway signal to danger after a train passes including the use of light sensitive devices, blocking or reflecting IR beams, magnetically using reed switches or hall effect devices and circuits which detect current flow in the rails.  Google model train detection and you will find numerous commercially available devices, kits (for example from MERG) and DIY circuit diagrams. 

Edited by DY444

22 minutes ago, Graham1960 said:

I was thinking if you attached a flexible tiny metal strip to each side of a loco underframe, then a contact point - wired to each signal - it would trip a relay that could turn the signal red.   

There are far better ways of doing it than that

Edited by DY444

• RMweb Gold

In short yes.  3mm leds are really cheap on eBay. I bought a pack of 50 for £1.50.

Then buy some 3mm internal diameter brass tube. Again, a couple of quid.

Cut short lengths of the tube and file to make lamp housing and hoods.

Cut a flat piece of 0.5mm thick brass to a suitable size and drill holes to accommodate the lamp housings.

Use more of the 3mm tube fur posts. 

Assembly is self explanatory, feed the led posituve wires throughthe tube,  solder the negatives to the brass. 

Add detailing as needed. 

A good quality signal for 50p or so....

Im about too do some myself, will post pictures I  a week or so....

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Is there a way to build some cheap moden colour light signals?

Ones that will turn red when a train passes, then through yellow, then green?

Heathcote electronics do plug and play modules for this using hidden infra red detectors. This means they are stand alone and do not require any modification to rolling stock or existing circuits. Not sure on price, you may be able to get some off ebay if you are lucky.

• 1 month later...