PTA/JTA/JUA, By Accurascale (NOW WITH ADDED BSC INNERS!)

22 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Guy,

Thanks for the kind words, means a lot!

At the moment they will stay as JNA/JUA as we are modelling this run with the CAIB branding, but we will do future runs with the earlier TOPS code in time. Should be pretty easy to remove the TOPS text too if you want to renumber etc.

Cheers,

Fran

Excellent, I'll wait for the pre 1990 ARC PTAs...... More time to save for 15 wagons. 

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, GordonC said:

There would also be a problem ordering 2 packs of Grey & Orange where we'd have an extra all-grey wagon to whats needed for a prototypical rake

Apologies if it's a daft question but with the British Steel wagons what is the significance of the all grey or all blue wagons and why is there only one per rake?

11 minutes ago, WILLIAM said:

Apologies if it's a daft question but with the British Steel wagons what is the significance of the all grey or all blue wagons and why is there only one per rake?

The Orange end is to signify the end with the rotary coupling and the marshalling is orange to grey.

The aggregate ones had the rotary coupling deactivated when sold by BSC to Procor.

Mark Saunders

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Welsh Signaller said:

I’m looking to build up a 20 or 25 take Iron ore rake, as has been said the orange ends are outers so only two per rake - what’s the best way to do this please ?

If there is enough demand, we will add additional 'inner' packs of select liveries. Feel free to drop us a direct line, message, pm, email or livechat to let us know your preferences

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Welsh Signaller said:

I’m looking to build up a 20 or 25 take Iron ore rake, as has been said the orange ends are outers so only two per rake - what’s the best way to do this please ?

Sorry, that's not correct. The orange end; as Mark says above; indicated the end with a rotary coupling, so all of the inners and half of the outers were orange at one end. Also for obvious reasons the orange ends all faced the same way.

Kevin

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Welsh Signaller said:

Not quite there is one rotary outer with orange end and one fixed (grey) without that couples to the rotary end!

Giving the marshalling of orange to grey.

Mark Saunders

• Thanks 1

Do they have to be in packs of 5? Just that I don’t have space for a rake of 10 but would like more than 5. Just seems odd when previous releases have been packs of 3? Only a query,  Im still super excited you’ve decided to do them!

58 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

The Orange end is to signify the end with the rotary coupling and the marshalling is orange to grey.

The aggregate ones had the rotary coupling deactivated when sold by BSC to Procor.

Mark Saunders

Thanks but what about the BSC wagons with no orange ends? Are you saying these did not need a rotary coupling as they are at the end of the rake and would be attached to a wagon with? Sorry for being thick.

43 minutes ago, WILLIAM said:

Thanks but what about the BSC wagons with no orange ends? Are you saying these did not need a rotary coupling as they are at the end of the rake and would be attached to a wagon with? Sorry for being thick.

Yes, only one of the pair needs to rotate when going through the tippler as a coupled train!

Mark Saunders

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, bazjones1711 said:

probably the easiest option to build rakes of the BSC ore wagons is to have a two pack of outers and a five pack of inners , makes sense to me , that way there is no duplication of having too many outers in a rake  ... just a thought

Hi Baz 

That is not a bad idea. But there was only one totally grey wagon In a rake of the orange and grey liveried tipplers. Packs of five orange and grey inners and the grey wagon sold separately would also help. 

Stephen

• RMweb Gold

It’s worth a mention that the 5-pack format helps us keep the price per wagon to just under £30, or £27 if you buy two or more packs despite the very high level of detail, spring metal buffers and even a flashing tail

light :)

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 minutes ago, Ruairidh Munro said:

Now all I really need (what) is for Accurascale to do the version of PCA used on the Blyth - Fort William alumina traffic ... ... ;) :rolleyes:

Is this so you can run them together as a Metals Sector train from Tyne to Mossend which ran for a while!

Mark Saunders

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Clagsniffer said:

Not if you can’t afford to buy them in the first place 

We offer customer friendly payment options and installment options. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, McC said:

Correct, all inner wagons (with the exception of the VTG sets which have them removed) sport a ladder on one side on one end.

I'm guessing that the handbrake wheel is just missing off the design images (only 2 of the 5 ARC inners have handbrake wheels) and that the text to go with the packs is slightly wrong (only some of the wagons say they have ladders on the ARC and Yeoman outer packs)?

regards

Darryl

Just spent some time looking through my extensive photo collection of these wagons. Regarding the ladders. I still don't have any evidence for them being absent on any shots that I have in ARC mustard. The ladder is always present on the side of the wagon without air brake equipment.

Also, with the outers you need to be careful as there are two types. One lot has the air brake equipment on one side (relative to the buffered end) and one lot has them on the other. I guess this stems from when the outers would be 'handed' - one with a rotary coupling and one without. Should be one of each type per pack of five, right...?

Guy

Edited by lyneux

7 hours ago, lyneux said:

Also, with the outers you need to be careful as there are two types. One lot has the air brake equipment on one side (relative to the buffered end) and one lot has them on the other. I guess this stems from when the outers would be 'handed' - one with a rotary coupling and one without. Should be one of each type per pack of five, right...?

Guy , are you sure about the bit I've highlighted? It would have been a very odd ratio as built for British Steel. Did Procor later convert unbuffered wagons to buffered when they passed to stone traffic? 

If I might suggest 3 wagon packs might be better than 5's? two types, one as an outer-inner-outer, and the other as 3 inners?

Jon

Jon, the two types of outer were built in equal ratio to each other (would have to be right?).

Regarding batch ratios, it varies a bit, for Yeoman it is something like 1:3:1 outerA : inner : outerB

For ARC, more like 1:8:1 outer A : inner : outer B

So the 5 packs make sense to get these multiples (at least for the mendip wagons). Although, possibly not the Yeoman inner pack.

The artwork shows the ladders as present but on the reverse side of the wagon given the way the drawing is orientated (air brake equipment to the front) so I hope it is just the description in the text that is wrong?

Guy

Edited by lyneux