PTA/JTA/JUA, By Accurascale (NOW WITH ADDED BSC INNERS!)

26 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

From the B&W image I have seen by David Larkin they are the standard Grey outer and Orange Grey for the others.

On a plus point they ran in sets of nine!

Mark Saunders

I've got a few colour photos as well, it's just that the grey in the CAD images looks a bit bluer than in some of the photos.

John

Good evening, 

I've just taken a proper look at the train formations and destinations sheet. I was aware of the Chislehurst ARC terminal, but there's an Ashford terminal too on there too. Would that be Hothfield or was there a flow to Ashford as well? 

Which leads me to ask how big a train was (is) it? Guessing motive power in the mid 80s to 2000ish would have been 56s/58s/59s/60s. 

Might have to exercise the credit card. Again! 

Thank you, 

Graeme 

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

Patrick/Fran

Will the auto couplers be available as spare if anyone wants to convert a LMS brake van or BR brake van chassis to an adaptor?

Mark

Hi Mark,

It will be a standard ‘knuckle’ type coupling, compatible with the likes of Kadee etc.

HTH

Fran

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Haymarket47 said:

Hi, can someone explain the difference between “outers” and “inners”?

Thanks

Sure, the outer packs feature two wagons with conventional draw gear and buffers on one end to couple up to a locomotive, while the inner wagons feature knuckle couplers and no buffers. This is as per the real wagons, so if you buy an outer and inner set, you would bookend the rake with two wagons from the outer set, while the rest would be coupled together using the knuckle coupling.

Outer, note the buffers on the top and bottom wagons

F8081FA5-DA97-4648-AB43-4AEEF47DBD6C.jpeg.9d555cc1cb3403384cfda2b4007d74db.jpeg

Inner, note all the knuckle couplings 

5D0C1923-63D4-4A87-833E-C15166CC60CB.jpeg.a13d50ed905cdafc5596274d6d19a7f9.jpeg

Hope that make sense! 

Cheers!

Fran

Edited by Accurascale Fran
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Hi

Outers are buffer fitted on outer end only. Inners have no buffers at all. For my Ravenscraig rake I will need one grey outer and one orange and grey outer. 

Stephen

Edited by ayrmrg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Sure, the outer packs feature two wagons with conventional draw gear and buffers on one end to couple up to a locomotive, while the inner wagons feature knuckle couplers and no buffers. This is as per the real wagons, so if you buy an outer and inner set, you would bookend the rake with two wagons from the outer set, while the rest would be coupled together using the knuckle coupling.

Outer, note the buffers on the top and bottom wagons

F8081FA5-DA97-4648-AB43-4AEEF47DBD6C.jpeg.9d555cc1cb3403384cfda2b4007d74db.jpeg

Inner, note all the knuckle couplings 

5D0C1923-63D4-4A87-833E-C15166CC60CB.jpeg.a13d50ed905cdafc5596274d6d19a7f9.jpeg

Hope that make sense! 

Cheers!

Fran

Hi Fran

That makes perfect sense thanks for your prompt reply!

Alan

• Like 2

Hi Fran

That's great news on the decision to produce the orange and grey inners. I will PM you regarding changing my order.

Are there any thoughts on producing weathered versions at a later date?

Stephen

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, johndon said:

I've got a few colour photos as well, it's just that the grey in the CAD images looks a bit bluer than in some of the photos.

John

Hi John,

The livery for Consett is not the same as the grey/orange Ravenscraig PTAs. While the basic grey and orange parts are the same the lettering is completely different. . They were delivered with large four-digit pre-TOPS numbers which later changed to a large five-digit TOPS number. They also carried a large BSC logo and a line marking the centre of the wagon. Finally they marked the two ends of the rake with a large red “A” or “B” on a yellow panel. We may do them in a future run! Hope this helps. 

12 hours ago, retbsignalman said:

Good evening, 

I've just taken a proper look at the train formations and destinations sheet. I was aware of the Chislehurst ARC terminal, but there's an Ashford terminal too on there too. Would that be Hothfield or was there a flow to Ashford as well? 

Which leads me to ask how big a train was (is) it? Guessing motive power in the mid 80s to 2000ish would have been 56s/58s/59s/60s. 

Thank you, 

Graeme 

Hi Graeme,

There was a flow to Ashford in the late 80's from Whatley. It used to be unloaded in Powell Duffryn's coal depot at Ashford where there was a hopper discharge. Although it appears to only run three days a week it was actually an "either / or" working. On Tuesdays and Thursdays it ran to Sevington supplying roadstone for Channel Tunnel terminal construction. On the days it didn't run to Ashford (Mon, Wed, Fri) it could also run as 6Z06 08.10 Whatley to West Drayton ARC Terminal.

Note: We didn't include the West Drayton or Sevington terminals on the map as we've not come across any photos of the PTAs in these trains yet, although other boxes were used on the Sevington trains. Doesn't mean they never went there of course. If anyone has photo evidence, feel free to share!

The inners for both British Steel liveries have been very popular so far! Thank you to everyone who has placed an order.

Cheers!

Fran

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, ayrmrg said:

Hi Fran

That's great news on the decision to produce the orange and grey inners. I will PM you regarding changing my order.

Are there any thoughts on producing weathered versions at a later date?

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

We have no plans to make factory weathered finishes as we do not feel they are good enough. 

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi John,

The livery for Consett is not the same as the grey/orange Ravenscraig PTAs. While the basic grey and orange parts are the same the lettering is completely different. . They were delivered with large four-digit pre-TOPS numbers which later changed to a large five-digit TOPS number. They also carried a large BSC logo and a line marking the centre of the wagon. Finally they marked the two ends of the rake with a large red “A” or “B” on a yellow panel. We may do them in a future run! Hope this helps. 

Fran

Thanks Fran.  I've ordered the grey orange one's don't mind having to respray.

Cheers

John

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Very tempted to get a rake of these, but not sure which livery. Should look good and sound good behind a trio of sound fitted 37s. Did the wagons used on the Ravenscraig and Llanwern flows have the same livery?

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, ColinK said:

Very tempted to get a rake of these, but not sure which livery. Should look good and sound good behind a trio of sound fitted 37s. Did the wagons used on the Ravenscraig and Llanwern flows have the same livery?

Hi Colin,

If you do we'd love to see video of them with triple 37s!

The Ravenscraig ones were the grey and orange, and the Llanwern ones were the blue and orange. Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Fran

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, ColinK said:

The BSSW blue livery is relatively recent as I am sure all were delivered in a version of grey with orange for the rotary end. Some BSRV ones did go to South Wales when Ravenscraig closed!

Mark Saunders 

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the info on liveries. A rake duly ordered.

One of my friends has a 00 garden railway, will be fun to to take my rake of wagons there and video them being pulled by my three sound fitted 37s.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, sanspareil said:

How do you obtain the 10% discount on an inner and outer pack bought at the same time? Does it apply to iron ores as well?

Hi,

If you use this link we have provided above you will get the discount. It applies to iron ore packs too.

https://accurascale.co.uk/discount/PTA-Bundle?redirect=%2Fcollections%2Fpta-jta-jua-bogie-tippler-wagons

cheers!

Fran

• Thanks 1

On 31/07/2019 at 12:53, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Colin,

If you do we'd love to see video of them with triple 37s!

The Ravenscraig ones were the grey and orange, and the Llanwern ones were the blue and orange. Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Fran

My lasting memory of these is as a 7/8 year  visiting my Nan, mid to late 70’s,  being taken by my long suffering dad to Pencoed Level crossing to watch the trains go by. The anticipation and excitement as the signalman in the box spun the huge wheel to close the gates. It was the ‘new’ HSTs I secretly wanted to see but the sheer exhilaration as one of these monster trains stormed past was second to none. The noise, smell & vibration was incredible. 

What I recall is, 3 beautifully filthy blue 37s and a rake of wagons - so dirty the livery was indistinguishable. 

Ive ordered packs of the blue and orange but it’s that gloriously dirty train  I’d like to recreate.

Cameras back then were an unaffordable luxury, so sadly I’ve no images., If by some miracle anyone can point to a site or post any from that era it would be amazing.

Thanks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎30‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 10:35, Accurascale Fran said:
On ‎29‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 21:29, retbsignalman said:

Good evening, 

Thank you, 

Graeme 

Hi Graeme,

There was a flow to Ashford in the late 80's from Whatley. It used to be unloaded in Powell Duffryn's coal depot at Ashford where there was a hopper discharge. Although it appears to only run three days a week it was actually an "either / or" working. On Tuesdays and Thursdays it ran to Sevington supplying roadstone for Channel Tunnel terminal construction. On the days it didn't run to Ashford (Mon, Wed, Fri) it could also run as 6Z06 08.10 Whatley to West Drayton ARC Terminal.

Note: We didn't include the West Drayton or Sevington terminals on the map as we've not come across any photos of the PTAs in these trains yet, although other boxes were used on the Sevington trains. Doesn't mean they never went there of course. If anyone has photo evidence, feel free to share!

The inners for both British Steel liveries have been very popular so far! Thank you to everyone who has placed an order.

Cheers!

Fran

Good afternoon,

Thank you for that Fran, credit card duly exercised for an inner and outer set (thanks for the 10% discount too), looking forward to running them on Maidstone East in the new year! Might have to invest in a(nother) 56 to haul them...….

Cheers,

Graeme

Edited by retbsignalman
incomplete sentence
  • Thanks 1

'Ah go on go on go on go on you know you want to' ................. I confess that I bought 3 Hornby 37s years ago thinking I should like to run the full rake of the Port Talbot/Llanwern train that I saw a few times while waiting at Cardiff Central. I missed out on the Lima offering and I should hate to miss out on these too! Means I'll have to find 3 updated 37s ..................... :(

When are these due to be available as I've committed my self to the TPE and 'Sleeper' already?

Cheers,

Philip

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Philou said:

'Ah go on go on go on go on you know you want to' ................. I confess that I bought 3 Hornby 37s years ago thinking I should like to run the full rake of the Port Talbot/Llanwern train that I saw a few times while waiting at Cardiff Central. I missed out on the Lima offering and I should hate to miss out on these too! Means I'll have to find 3 updated 37s ..................... :(

When are these due to be available as I've committed my self to the TPE and 'Sleeper' already?

Cheers,

Philip

Hi Philip,

We expect them in January 2020!

Cheers!

Fran