PTA/JTA/JUA, By Accurascale (NOW WITH ADDED BSC INNERS!)

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

We actively discourage discounting to protect smaller model shops from the bigger guys who can offer bigger discounts, and so far its been very successful in keeping bigger outfits to RRP. It's really disappointing to hear and against our wishes that smaller places discount, as ultimately it will be self harming them in the long run. We do regularly review our trade partners so many thanks for the heads up on this. 

Cheers!

Fran

Your pricing is good value and the items are well thought out and made,as i have said in the past its more of a team effort with your customer base,the major companys seem driven by pure money,its more about shifting as many boxes,they seem to have little interest with contact or what the customer thinks.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Dieselbob said:

You posted this on 26/6/19

I don't know about you but I would call that a 10% discount, does that mean that you are undercutting the agents you are supplying no wonder they are discounting.

You should practice what you preach.

Hi Bob,

This discount (and any bundle deals we offer) are fully available for traders to implement too, and many do. As I said, it’s about creating a level playing field and protecting our smaller retailers from being undercut by bigger ones, something several of our retailers pleaded with us to do when we opened up to trade.

in essence, practicing what we preach. 

cheers!

Fran

• Like 8
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

15 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

We actively discourage discounting to protect smaller model shops from the bigger guys who can offer bigger discounts, and so far its been very successful in keeping bigger outfits to RRP. It's really disappointing to hear and against our wishes that smaller places discount, as ultimately it will be self harming them in the long run. We do regularly review our trade partners so many thanks for the heads up on this. 

Cheers!

Fran

There's one place offering 15% (I've just bought 2 packs of PTA's from them but they appear to have lots of your products on sale), and another offering around 25% but they don't have any of the items in stock!

Edited by Graham108
Additional comment

1 hour ago, Graham108 said:

There's one place offering 15% (I've just bought 2 packs of PTA's from them but they appear to have lots of your products on sale), and another offering around 25% but they don't have any of the items in stock!

My apples are 10p a pound when I don't have any!

Actually, just received a pack of PTAs and they are fantastic and the packaging truly impressive!  Really looking forward to seeing the Deltic, although my bank balance isn't :-(

• Like 2

To be fair, i didn't find too many places offering discounts when i was looking for some British Steel inners, though there were one or two.  Most places were out of stock. 

I don't have a dog in the fight, but given the uncertain times we've been through, I'd be wary about making too many assumptions on why *some* retailers are doing what they're doing.  If you have bills to pay and stock sitting there, it must be hard to resist the temptation to cash in your chips.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Midnight-Freight said:

I'm not too clued up on these but I like the look of the VTG ones. I'm also not a total stickler for realism but how out of place would these be on a modern image, virtual quarry layout?

The VTG wagons were used in sea dredged aggregate and sand traffic in the south east area though they've all been withdrawn now. However, some of the JSAs have been rebuilt with new box bodies last year to replace them, so it isn't too unlikely that they could have remained in service or been used on other flows.

7U71 66162 Cliffe Brett Marine - Stewarts Lane passes paddock wood

(Flickr link - not mine)

Here's some (including some still in yeoman livery) still going in 2016.

• Like 2

Don't tempt me Fran!

Having a difficult Monday here... everything seems like a challenge in the world of low earth orbit satellite internet at the moment.

The grass must be greener at Accurascale, right? Just by virtue of being located in the emerald isle for a start!

Guy

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, lyneux said:

Now or never on that job promotion at Accurascale Ed? :D

There - corrected it for you.....

;)

Edited by newbryford
  • Funny 4

On 12/04/2021 at 22:56, Dieselbob said:

They would be a doddle to convert using the accurascale chasis and a load of Plasticard, a bit costly mind. or convert a Lima one if you can get hold of the Axlemotion Bogies, I remember many years ago maybe 25 years,  upgrading a Lima PTA and going one Sunday afternoon to, I Think, Chris Leigh's Home which was not far from where i live and we went to his workshop and he moulded me a pair of BS Axlemotion bogies in White Metal I wonder if he still makes them.

I realised pretty soon that making a rake of them would probably see me off, I finished the one and lost interest (never painted it) I got fed up looking at it and eventually sold it on Ebay last year. I have a lot of time on my hands now so those JNA's look inviting.

Bachmann make a Bogie they call Y25 Type, well they don't look like any Y25 I have ever seen. they look a little like Axlemotions they are certainly nothing like Cambrians Y25 Bogies. I would put more faith in Cambrian than Bachmann I think I'll order some and have a closer look.

Bob

Sorry, I stopped making my cast parts about 15 years ago when my casting machine 'died'. It wasn't worth the cost of replacing it and I'd become tired of spending hot summer days sweltering in a shed labouring over a metal melting pot! (CJL)

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, dibber25 said:

Sorry, I stopped making my cast parts about 15 years ago when my casting machine 'died'. It wasn't worth the cost of replacing it and I'd become tired of spending hot summer days sweltering in a shed labouring over a metal melting pot! (CJL)

I have a single set of Chris', but many sets of unbuilt Appleby axle motion bogie if anyone wants to make me an offer!

Jon

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, jonhall said:

I have a single set of Chris', but many sets of unbuilt Appleby axle motion bogie if anyone wants to make me an offer!

Jon

Jon, I am going to have a look at my rake of heavily converted Lima ones later and see how many bogies I am short by.  will drop you a message to discuss.  

• Like 1

On 12/04/2021 at 22:56, Dieselbob said:

They would be a doddle to convert using the accurascale chasis and a load of Plasticard, a bit costly mind. or convert a Lima one if you can get hold of the Axlemotion Bogies, I remember many years ago maybe 25 years,  upgrading a Lima PTA and going one Sunday afternoon to, I Think, Chris Leigh's Home which was not far from where i live and we went to his workshop and he moulded me a pair of BS Axlemotion bogies in White Metal I wonder if he still makes them.

I realised pretty soon that making a rake of them would probably see me off, I finished the one and lost interest (never painted it) I got fed up looking at it and eventually sold it on Ebay last year. I have a lot of time on my hands now so those JNA's look inviting.

Bachmann make a Bogie they call Y25 Type, well they don't look like any Y25 I have ever seen. they look a little like Axlemotions they are certainly nothing like Cambrians Y25 Bogies. I would put more faith in Cambrian than Bachmann I think I'll order some and have a closer look.

Bob

That Bachmann 'Y25' is in fact either a Y31 or Y33, originally designed for higher speeds on intermodal flows. Bachmann use a Y25C on their BDA, and possibly elsewhere, but don't list it as a separate part. You could always contact their spares department on the offchance.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Not sure if its of interest to anyone, but I have finally decided to sell my sets of the British Steel orange/grey BSC wagons. I have two outer sets and four inner sets.  They are on the classifieds section on here if anyone is interested (or PM me).  If they are still there in a week or so, I'll look to move them on other channels.  Never been out of the box and realistically I am not going to get time for the layout to be built in the next couple of years :(

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/profile/16721-marshlane/content/&type=classifieds_advert

Just thought I'd give anyone who missed out or wanted some a heads up.

Rich

Hi.  

I am looking to renumber some of my PTA wagons using transfers from Railtec, so that I have different running numbers compared to a set my friend owns..  Does anyone have any advice on the best way to remove the existing numbering/TOPS panels?   Should I be looking at using T-cut or something similar?

Thanks,  Chris

• RMweb Gold

I found the numbers easy enough to remove with a cocktail stick. It needs a bit of practice until you get the pressure right but I had no instances of going through the base colour. It all turned out very well.

3 hours ago, BR Blue said:

I found the numbers easy enough to remove with a cocktail stick. It needs a bit of practice until you get the pressure right but I had no instances of going through the base colour. It all turned out very well.

Thanks very much, worked extremely well.  As you said, no damage to the underlying base colour at all

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Okay I’ve read the whole of this topic and I can’t find the answer.  Was there any physical differences between the South Wales and Ravenscraig wagons? After all they were given different diagrams PT003A-C and PT004D-E.  Or were the only differences the livery?

Has anyone renumbered theirs to a Llanwern set as running in the early 1980s?  Or should I hope and wait that A/S will produce them?

Edited by Penrhos1920

Hi

The original wagons used on the Redcar-Consett duties were numbered in BSTE series.  When those services were withdrawn, the wagons were sold and transferred to aggregates duties and were renumbered.

The wagons originally introduced on the Llanwern duties were numbered in the BSSW series, whilst the Ravenscraig sets were numbered in the BRSV series (as in the A/S models).  I’ve not come across anything to suggest these were renumbered when transferred to South Wales.

Have a look at this summary.

https://www.ltsv.com/w_profile_003.php

regards, Chris