PTA/JTA/JUA, By Accurascale (NOW WITH ADDED BSC INNERS!)

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

As you may have seen elsewhere, the JSAs are now delayed until January (ship due to land at Felixstowe on Boxing Day currently). However, we managed to find a bit of room on a plane (at a whopping premium atm due to COVID related lack of flights and manufacturers of a new games console buying up every bit of air freight capacity they can ahead of Christmas) and will fly in the ARC PTAs. We should land them in early December. 

Dispatch of current PTAs still ongoing and going as fast as we can!

Cheers,

Fran

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, dogbox321 said:

Sounds safer!  Injury sounds nasty - hopefully fully recovered now.  As I were always taught when shunting - Watch what your doing - couplings can hurt you, but you cannot hurt them!

Best Wishes,

C.

Thanks dogbox. Mostly better now, still aches from time to time. It was silly, I came out from underneath, started to stand up slightly too early and just got nudged in the back by the buffer, but my feet were still behind me. Set me stumbling forward at slow speed into a platelayer's hut. Not hard, just hit it at the wrong angle.

Roy

4 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

As you may have seen elsewhere, the JSAs are now delayed until January (ship due to land at Felixstowe on Boxing Day currently). However, we managed to find a bit of room on a plane (at a whopping premium atm due to COVID related lack of flights and manufacturers of a new games console buying up every bit of air freight capacity they can ahead of Christmas) and will fly in the ARC PTAs. We should land them in early December. 

Dispatch of current PTAs still ongoing and going as fast as we can!

Cheers,

Fran

You reckoned all would be sent out by today on Monday, that still the case? Starting to wonder now if the payment you tried to take in error last week which I got the bank to stop has somehow ended up placing my order on hold......

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, aureol40012 said:

You reckoned all would be sent out by today on Monday, that still the case? Starting to wonder now if the payment you tried to take in error last week which I got the bank to stop has somehow ended up placing my order on hold......

Can confirm that it is not the case. We are still looking at another few days and coming up with ways to speed up the process. We are really sorry about this, but we are doing all we can to get them out there. Needless to say a full review on dispatch will be forthcoming for us in light of how long this is take. We can only apologise once again for this delay.

Thanks,

Fran

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

One of my two parcels today was the box of 5 PTA’s, superb models.  A nice touch is the polystyrene inside the bodies to protect them, chop the polystyrene down a little, cover them with miniature iron ore and you’ve got them loaded.  My plan was to take a trip south to see my friend who has a large layout in his loft and video them being hauled by a trio of sound fitted 37s. The shape of his loft roof makes the sound echo round the room. Sadly that will have to wait for a while now.

The other parcel was my remotored Pacer, which my friend above had finished for me.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Can confirm that it is not the case. We are still looking at another few days and coming up with ways to speed up the process. We are really sorry about this, but we are doing all we can to get them out there. Needless to say a full review on dispatch will be forthcoming for us in light of how long this is take. We can only apologise once again for this delay.

Thanks,

Fran

Don't worry Fran - these things take as long as they do. I know it can be frustrating when we know they are here, but having waited for them to arrive (or not in my case as I have only ordered them at the weekend) a few more days isn't going to make a difference.

Yes you could employ an army of shipping-elves to do it, but that just puts costs up.

Roy

6 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Thanks,

Fran

Patience is a virtue.......

.....Still waiting for a "hoover"!:rolleyes:

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much as long as peoples orders are correct and the product arrives in tact.  If you feel really bad you could send Guiness to drown our sorrows in!

13 hours ago, lyneux said:

Look what arrived this morning.

Wagons galore at Whatley this week! (Sorry about the BOC interloper though...)

Will have to wait until after work for a serious session.

Guy

D569945E-6859-47F8-9C1E-9B0961A7160B.jpeg

Nice Tiphook wagon.......cough! cough!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Thanks,

Fran

They take as long as they take. I’m quite relaxed about them because the 59 to haul them still hasn’t appeared on the horizon. I’m planning to get a Hornby Railroad 59 for my grandson for Christmas. A big shiny diesel to contrast with the little steamers he already has. In the meantime, alternative history will assume that BR got its act together and a 56 will do the job.

I must admit, though, that I’m looking forward to my first goods train with a working tail light. It’s about time someone did that. Hurrah for Accurascale!

• Like 1

My three packs have arrived and do look great, and more importantly the rake fits into my fiddle yard, so thanks for the accurate measurements @Accurascale Fran

Only one issue, the tail lamp doesn't seem to be working. On closer inspection, it looks like the little black unit is missing a wire (compared to the picture in the instructions).

It's difficult to see clearly on the instructions but it looks like there should be a wire. 

IMG_7053.PNG

IMG_7052.jpg

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, richscylla said:

It's difficult to see clearly on the instructions but it looks like there should be a wire. 

There are two wires connecting the 'black box' which is the underside of the micro switch - the wire goes from the brass contact, to one side of the switch, and out the other, which looks to be ok from your photo.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @richscylla,

Very sorry to hear that. Can you ensure that the tabs are bent down firmly on the battery? Failing that can you email with your pics and order number to support@accurascale.co.uk and we can get you sorted?

Cheers!

Fran

I'll have a play with the tabs and hopefully that'll fix the issue. 

Rich

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @richscylla,

Very sorry to hear that. Can you ensure that the tabs are bent down firmly on the battery? Failing that can you email with your pics and order number to support@accurascale.co.uk and we can get you sorted?

Cheers!

Fran

I had a similar problem. It's worth noting that I had to bend BOTH tabs in order to get contact with the battery. This meant bending the lower tab up, as well as the upper tab down.

All working for me now!

Guy

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, lyneux said:

I had a similar problem. It's worth noting that I had to bend BOTH tabs in order to get contact with the battery. This meant bending the lower tab up, as well as the upper tab down.

All working for me now!

Guy

Were you able to get the battery correctly under both lugs? I can only get it under one (either side but not both at once) so the battery doesn't stay in place

4 minutes ago, richscylla said:

Were you able to get the battery correctly under both lugs? I can only get it under one (either side but not both at once) so the battery doesn't stay in place

Yes, push harder! It does go.

On the Andy York video (linked from Accurascale support) I think he leaves it off one of the lugs unfortunately but it will go with a little pressure. Best to have the wagon flat on the workbench for this.

To remove the battery, small flathead screwdriver underneath it and it will ping out.

Guy

Edited by lyneux
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, richscylla said:

Just be sure it's -between- the brass lugs, not under both! 

Edited by McC
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, McC said:

Just be sure it's -between- the brass lugs, not under both! 

I meant the plastic lugs to the sides, but with some bending up of the lower battery contact I'm all good. Thanks for you help! How I just have to finish the complete loop on the layout so the rake can leave the fiddle yard! 

• Like 2

I think Rich is referring to the two plastic lugs which are part of the bed of the wagon. I certainly found great difficulty in getting the coin cell under both these tabs on my wagon. I also had to bend both brass contacts too. If Accurascale include a working tail lamp feature on future wagons I would suggest a rethink. I would personally prefer a PCB along with a proper coin cell holder to replace the ad-hoc wires and bits of metal.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Bedlington North said:

I think Rich is referring to the two plastic lugs which are part of the bed of the wagon. I certainly found great difficulty in getting the coin cell under both these tabs on my wagon. I also had to bend both brass contacts too. If Accurascale include a working tail lamp feature on future wagons I would suggest a rethink. I would personally prefer a PCB along with a proper coin cell holder to replace the ad-hoc wires and bits of metal.

The problem with a proper coin cell holder is that it takes up a lot of space. 

492346407_image(11).png.16fdbbb205d2327b775843a8f30ab86c.png

We came up with our own solution in the tipplers to preserve the realistic placement of the floor. PCBs are not a practical solution either as they take up a lot of space and are there for control rather than an alternative to wires.

We have squeezed the above into the HYAs though, thankfully there is room at the ends!

Cheers,

Fran

• Like 6
  • Agree 3

28 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

The problem with a proper coin cell holder is that it takes up a lot of space. 

492346407_image(11).png.16fdbbb205d2327b775843a8f30ab86c.png

We came up with our own solution in the tipplers to preserve the realistic placement of the floor. PCBs are not a practical solution either as they take up a lot of space and are there for control rather than an alternative to wires.

We have squeezed the above into the HYAs though, thankfully there is room at the ends!

Cheers,

Fran

Sorry Fran, but  there are other (lower profile) options for a coin holder than the example shown in the picture. That one must represent the worst case scenario in terms of size.

I fully appreciate why you have taken the approach that you did, but the result is fragile and, to me anyway, lacks the high quality approach of the rest of your products.

I say that as someone who is an electronic design engineer that works with very small and delicate components and if I find it fragile, then just perhaps others may also do so.

Your point about PCBs I cannot accept. They are both a practical solution and can take up as much space as they need to. They are not inherently "too big". Adding to manufacturing costs, yes.

In any case. I just wanted to give you my feedback for what it is worth. In any case the wagons themselves are exceptional - no arguments about that!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 23/11/2020 at 11:27, lyneux said:

If you want to see the UK ones in operation with the mules and the rotary couplings then Railfreight Today Scotland (Volume 3) is what you want to watch.

https://www.telerail.co.uk/railway-dvds-telerail-titles/rail-freight-today-boxed-sets/rail-freight-today-box-set-1-volumes-1-5

Modern Railways April 1974 also has an article with photos and a drawing of the tippler. I have scans but obviously not going to share online!

If you are seriously interested in information regarding the rotary tippler then send me a PM as I have been amassing information on this over the past 7-8 years with a view to making a working model.

Guy

There's also some footage and maintenance of the PTA wagons on Rail Films Depot No.3 ScotRail along with MGR coal working footage.

• Like 2