PTA/JTA/JUA, By Accurascale (NOW WITH ADDED BSC INNERS!)

4 hours ago, McC said:

Our warranty team are standing bye for your email :) (Joking aside, assuming the couplings are not in the box, or the bag, then yes, they are missing, drop support@accurascale.co.uk a line and we'll get the parts to you asap!)

yeah, I did check before posting ;-)

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, SouthernMafia said:

Email this morning to say the first 10 of my ARCs are on the way! :D

Hi everyone,

As above, the ARC tipplers are now being dispatched. It is going to take us the rest of this week at least to get them all posted out to you. Thanks for your patience. 

Stock on sale here if you want to join them! https://accurascale.co.uk/collections/pta-jta-jua-bogie-tippler-wagons

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 5

Thanks Fran

Had my email this morning to say my 10 ARC are on the way.

Still waiting on 10 grey/orange  inners,  had email on the 1/12/20 to say despatched but not here yet guess Royal Mail are very busy.

Great wagon though looking forward to the ARC ones.

Baz

Edited by bazil31
  • Like 2

Well, they are finally here!

I'm still not too sure about the shade of ARC mustard though. It seems to be closer to warning panel yellow than ARC mustard.

Judge for yourself. Front left, Accurascale, front right Phoenix, back right (59) Lima, back left (59) Hornby.

Sadly I think I'll have to either repaint these or send them back.

Guy

IMG_7761.jpg

EDIT: Heres a few prototype shots to compare (with varying levels of exposure):

po-26846-pr-PTA-Westbury-1986-06

47901 Westbury.   Sept 14th 1987.

59101 at Hallen near Bristol

Edited by lyneux

• RMweb Gold

Hi Guy,

As we discussed via email this morning, we used a large range of photos to come to the colour we used. I think as we can see with the photos you posted there is a wide range of shades on offer here. We looked at photos of PTAs, 59s, even trucks and other ARC liveried wagons and came to the shade we used.

ARC_PTA.jpg.ceb84e1e2849ecfba0d96c60974f2b93.jpg

Once such sample above. We also made much use of Paul Bartlett's site, as well as other reference points. 

Cheers!

Fran

• Informative/Useful 1

Hi Fran,

I've not been looking at photos of mustard wagons for the last 10 years not to realise there were variations.

I think you are right, they did vary in colour but I'm not sure that the 'lighter' example that you cite above is the most common unfortunately. The wagons were repainted throughout their lives and at one point (about the time they got re-branded from Procor to CAIB), quite a light colour of yellow was used on a few wagons (such as Mark's photo that you posted above).

If you have a wide sample of different colours you would pick the median. Sadly I think you have chosen an outlier.

Here's another example of a 'clean' CAIB-era wagon from Hugh Searle (some of the best photos I've seen of mendip wagons) from his excellent 'Mendips Aggregates' album. I include my comparison shot again so you can see these side by side.

Guy

561-37 ARC JUA PTA Wetsbury 31051992

IMG_7761.jpg

Edited by lyneux

• RMweb Gold

Hi Guy,

I think you are most correct in saying there seems to be serval shades. We picked ones from the cleanest wagons we could find so we were not influenced by dust, road dirt etc. There also seems to be differences in differing lights as with all yellows. If we picked a median colour, would it be prototypical? We picked what we saw. 

Your pics above really do demonstrate a wide variance on colour, not to mention ex works to down at heel and all in between.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

When you look at photos, a lot of it is down to the lighting. Look at how the Phoenix Precision yellow (second, my photo) looks the same as the bright yellow of Mark Saunder's photo of the prototype under the right lighting conditions.

Sorry chaps, but I'm still not convinced that the colour that you have had them painted is the same as Mark's photo either.

Sorry. :(

This is as close a 3-way comparison under the same lighting conditions as I can manage.

Guy

ARC_PTA.jpg

10457750636_576fcd9ab6_b.jpg

6.jpg

Edited by lyneux

There may be a way around the colour of the wagons being either too light or of yellow hue,  is to weather an example . The weathering could be done with a filter wash from the likes of AK Interactive etc...this should have the effect of darkening  the colour , followed by in traffic weathering , this being easier than a full repaint . I made a Sheerness Steel JXA , firstly I sprayed it with rust tones  followed by AK Interactive chipping fluid , then put a light blue top coat on that was close to the correct colour , unfortunately the darker first coat had the effect of making the light blue now look to dark ! Rather than a full repaint I went around all the vertical ribs with dark weathering powders ,   this to me has the effect of now making the blue look lighter than it is , a kind of optical illusion , adding subtle light rust as well has given the wagon the look I wanted to achieve , hope this may help you Lyneux 

Edited by bazjones1711
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2

My initial expectation of the yellow on these, as Guy says, would have been to see the darker "mustard" colour of the right hand wagon in his Accurascale/Phoenix picture.  However, having looked at a lot of photos of rakes of these, including the useful ones posted above, it's clear that there were at least two different colours used, the lighter of which Accurascale have captured.  On that basis, I'll happily keep mine and would actually buy a few more if another run was done in the darker mustard colour! 

This is not in anyway dismissive of Guy's opinion of course, it's just my two-penneth.

Edited by BR(S)
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SouthernMafia said:

Whilst I may have missed it in the thread when did the branding change from Procor to Caib? My rake is for the late 80s/early 90s Fareham stone, when did the ARCs finish on this flow? 

At some point between 1988 and 1992. I think 88/89 but just looking for proof for you.

Guy

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Guy

In fairness, we previously explained about the colour in the studio photos. We stand by our choice and we are sorry you remain unconvinced. It is what it is but we did a lot of research on this. 

Cheers!

Fran

And let’s be fair, it really really doesn’t matter compared to things like the detailing on the wagon. At all. It just isn’t an issue, apart from for a very small sub species of modeller.  

Keep up the great work.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

11 hours ago, lyneux said:

At some point between 1988 and 1992. I think 88/89 but just looking for proof for you.

Guy

I signed the production order for the relabelling from PROCOR to Caib in the late summer of 1988. Given the PPM frequency and the excellent facilities available at the Mendip quarries almost all would have been completed by the summer of 1989.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

Very pleased with my 10, another 5 to come tomorrow by the looks of it. I'd say the yellow is good, it might not be 100% spot on but weathering and toning will sort that out. Its also very much dependent on the light source, and the camera, it looks very different on my phone screen as to when I'm viewing the real thing in front of me.

IMG_20201211_104248_299.jpg.a7a57f56fe1bd04d8e8bdd89cfdb10ac.jpg

y8h76v.jpg.5d5f91730356a4bf0e1ff4ce2ec5401c.jpg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Mike Harvey said:

I signed the production order for the relabelling from PROCOR to Caib in the late summer of 1988. Given the PPM frequency and the excellent facilities available at the Mendip quarries almost all would have been completed by the summer of 1989.

Hi

would anybody have an idea on exactly when in 1990 the wagon designation change PTA > JTA/JUA occurred & if any PTA’s designation wagons made it through to 1991 before being re-badged JTA/JUA 

cheers

TW 

Just collected my pack of VTG grey JUA / JTA.

WOW doesn't even get close. That is fancy packaging too, very well designed..  lovely free rolling wagons...air pipes...

Another pack on order.

• Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1