PTA/JTA/JUA, By Accurascale (NOW WITH ADDED BSC INNERS!)

• RMweb Gold

Wow, only just caught up with this due to my fishing exploits over the last few weeks. I'll have to start saving, the Port Talbot - Llanwern trains were a huge memory from my mid 1970s spotting days. Having just returned from a foray to Radyr from Cardiff central and making our way through the subway to the normal spotting location, one of these trains passed through. It's the closest thing I've experienced to a major earthquake in my life.

The class 37s used on these trains had specially strengthened couplings will need to look up which ones. Well done Accurascale, one on my wish list I thought would never materialise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Downendian said:

The class 37s used on these trains had specially strengthened couplings will need to look up which ones. Well done Accurascale, one on my wish list I thought would never materialise.

37300 to 308 were some of them, I think there were others high numbered ones but all were allocated to Cardiff at the time.

I have never managed to find out what the 'strengthened' couplings actually consisted of although the most common answer seems to be the springs on the back of the coupling hook were stronger than normal.

• Like 3

On 03/07/2019 at 02:17, GordonC said:

ok, I'll as the stupid question ... why did these wagons have rotary couplers anyway if each wagon was unloaded individually like in the picture above? Or was the unloading at Llanwern different to other sites like Ravenscraig?

Would it not have been quite a lengthy process uncoupling each, moving it along, unloading, moving on to the next wagon for the 20-30 wagon rakes?

As far as I understand the tippler rotated around the axis of the coupler. With a rotatory coupler on every other end, the whole wagon can be tippled without having to uncouple each wagon.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Down_Under said:

As far as I understand the tippler rotated around the axis of the coupler. With a rotatory coupler on every other end, the whole wagon can be tippled without having to uncouple each wagon.

That is correct. The wagon only needs to be turned through 180 degrees to empty it completely.

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, dj_crisp said:

Hi Fran

It's probably me being dim.... I can't get the discount code to work for ordering two packs... is PTA-Bundle correct? 

Cheers

Will 

Hi Will,

PTA-Bundle is correct. When you get to the check out it should display as per below?

5365724_PTABundle.png.d8342d8903bb12e4c5d268e4452a2a56.png

Cheers,

Fran

• 2 weeks later...

Not wishing to cause any offence but have Accurascale made a bit of a major error in not doing the inners for the iron ore sets? With the need for only one grey outer per rake this creates problems creating prototypical longer rakes? Other than those with very small layouts almost everyone will want a rake of at least 10? I was going to order but seeing no inners means I might just hold off and keep my modified Lima rake instead :(

Edited by sanspareil
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, sanspareil said:

Not wishing to cause any offence but have Accurascale made a bit of a major error in not doing the inners for the iron ore sets? With the need for only one grey outer per rake this creates problems creating prototypical longer rakes? Other than those with very small layouts almost everyone will want a rake of at least 10? I was going to order but seeing no inners means I might just hold off and keep my modified Lima rake instead :(

Hi there,

As we previously advised we are looking into BS inners, and should have more news on that this week. So, watch this space...

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi there,

As we previously advised we are looking into BS inners, and should have more news on that this week. So, watch this space...

Cheers!

Fran

Superb news Fran! Sorry I missed or mis-read the previous posting. Thanks for the reply. It will for sure make sense to do a run on all the iron ore inners I think. Personally im looking at the orange/greys.

Edited by sanspareil
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Shoey said:

Just come across these wagons. Are they the same wagons as what Accurascale are doing? (Obviously not the livery)

D33B51F7-0FDE-4611-8A7A-278DC0C09F3D.jpeg

F0EAAB73-2869-48AF-840D-820DEBE3218F.jpeg

These are the chassis off BSC tipplers rebuilt as Coil Carriers and now rebuilt for a second time as boxes recently as part of a batch of 20 by WH Davis.

Mark Saunders

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

Due to the overwhelming customer demand and popularity of these beauties since we launched them, we are now offering a 5 pack of inner wagons in British Steel blue and orange and British Steel grey and orange! These sets are now available to order on our website!

238672636_innersBSCblue.jpg.c008944635883e3cfef992a1c2c2a653.jpg

1398627855_bscgreyorangeinners.jpg.51f4d637d0f17ff36c392fe3cbc4af59.jpg

Remember, if you order two or more packs of PTAs together, you will get a 10% discount at the checkout. If you have already ordered outers from us but wish to get inners instead, just email us with your order number and we will do the rest!

These will be delivered with the main batch of PTAs in January 2020! You can order now via https://accurascale.co.uk/discount/PTA-Bundle?redirect=%2Fcollections%2Fpta-jta-jua-bogie-tippler-wagons

And if you need some formation inspiration, allow me to post this again! Who will be first to run a lengthy rake of these with 3 37s at the helm??

1604752188_PTA-JTA-JUAFormations.jpg.a1f227ad8a3143f83fb9528ea7d93820.jpg

Cheers!

Fran

Edited by Accurascale Fran
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 22/07/2019 at 12:18, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi there,

Cheers!

Fran

Brilliant news Fran on the BSC Inners.

Sorry to labour a couple of trodden questions but is payment taken immediately and do you still need to use the "PTA-bundle" code for the discount?

Thanks,

Rich.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Growling said:

Brilliant news Fran on the BSC Inners.

Sorry to labour a couple of trodden questions but is payment taken immediately and do you still need to use the "PTA-bundle" code for the discount?

Thanks,

Rich.

Hi Rich,

No problem at all!

Yes, payment is taken now. If you use this link https://accurascale.co.uk/discount/PTA-Bundle?redirect=%2Fcollections%2Fpta-jta-jua-bogie-tippler-wagons it will put the discount on automatically for you.

Cheers!

Fran

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Sails said:

Packs already showing Don't delay, only a limited number remaining, I've just ordered both British Steel blue, hopefully both ARC packs are still available next pay day!

Thanks for the order! We have the inners set at the minimum order quantity on the site atm but we will put that up depending on demand when we have to confirm production numbers later in the year. The inner packs will be low in number though we envisage, though you might all prove us wrong! 

Cheers!

Fran

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, johndon said:

Just so I'm absolutely clear before going ahead with an order, it is the British Steel Grey/Orange wagons that are the correct livery for the Consett iron ore trains?

John

From the B&W image I have seen by David Larkin they are the standard Grey outer and Orange Grey for the others.

On a plus point they ran in sets of nine!

Mark Saunders

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

From the B&W image I have seen by David Larkin they are the standard Grey outer and Orange Grey for the others.

On a plus point they ran in sets of nine!

Mark Saunders