Facing Goods Yard

Chris Dark

Morning all,

I am hoping you folk can provide me with examples of locations where the goods yard is downstream from the station, ideally accessed from the platform.

If this doesn't sound particularly clear an example would be Saltash.

image.png.be452d2e5d450f2d7a0b5114b5d6abe7.png

From a modelling point of view, this is a rough idea of what i am aiming to achieve, although obviously a through station, this would be used as a baseplan but built as a terminus (following?)

I am looking for fairly small locations with 2-4 sidings, on the same side as the station approach, preferably rural and West/Southern region but not too fussed on this.

i have trawled though NLS maps for many hours so have a few ideas already  but thought you more knowledgeable folk may assist me further.

I am also interested in rural terminus stations where the station approach and goods yard are on the same side (similar to Ashchurch, although clearly a through station) with a headshunt adjacent to the running line.

image.png.4058789c2e3acc33fe8de5b68ca8318d.png

Hopefully this all makes sense.

Many Thanks

Edited by Chris Dark

Head shunt next to the running line is going to be hard to find.  More L&Y industrial, busy urban locations than quiet branch lines where there were 3 hour gaps between passenger trains for shunting to take place on the main line.

Most of the GWR "Headshunts" were just short spurs to a stop block rather than genuine headshunts for shunting.  The exceptions are usually where there is a steep gradient which made shunting problematical.

Even busy goods yards like Stroud GWR didn't have headshunts and used the main line for shunting.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Stephen Williams, in volume one of his "Great Western Branch Line Modelling" (Wild Swan, isbn 0906867959, now Out Of Print) devised a pattern for categorising branch stations as either "parallel", "intermediate", or "elongated". What I think you're looking for is an "elongated" site. If you're not  fussed about a branch terminus then perhaps Tregaron or Longhope might work. If you want a mainline  (double tracked) station then I'm pretty sure there are plenty of places like Saltash. If you have access to any of the four volumes of "An Historical Survey of Great Western Stations" by R.H. Clark (and C.R. Potts), published by OPC (and also Out Of Print), you should be able to find something either suitable or adaptable.

Personally, I've always thought Box would make for an excellent model.

• RMweb Gold

I think that your thread title is perhaps a bit confusing.

But what you seem to want is a long thin layout where the goods shed is not adjacent to the station platforms, not a facing access.

My two suggestions, both Southern and from the OPC book, would be Budleigh Salterton and Tavistock. But it would be easier for all of us to advise of you can give us a bit more info about the space you have available and in which scale.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Chris Dark said:

Thanks both for your suggestions, looking for suggestions on sites that are more compressed if available :)

I think if you go for the sort of arrangement you are interested in then it will inevitably be elongated by its very nature.   The main influence would be the level of facilities the locality required and the length of trains used to serve that locality  but it matters not in some respects - if the yard is beyond the station the site will be longer than one where it is next to the station.  

Perhaps the ideal is one where the goods yard etc is completely separate a little distance up the line - rather  like Coombe Jcn (but without the junction).

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I think that your thread title is perhaps a bit confusing.

But what you seem to want is a long thin layout where the goods shed is not adjacent to the station platforms, not a facing access.

My two suggestions, both Southern and from the OPC book, would be Budleigh Salterton and Tavistock. But it would be easier for all of us to advise of you can give us a bit more info about the space you have available and in which scale.

Size is constrained hence requesting smaller rural stations, i have 20 x 10ft and scale is 0. 

i can try and upload some fictional plans i have made but i like to try and model actual locations and then use a bit of modellers license to adjust, similar to the two locations i included in my initial post.

Thanks for your the replies and comments so far

• 1 month later...

If I read the OP's diagram and question correctly, then Holywell Town is the perfect prototype to meet the need http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/h/holywell_town/index.shtml

There was a L&Y one that was somewhat similar, but I forget the name. I only remember it because the branch in question was electrified at a very unusual voltage for the UK, 3kV dc OHLE, IIRC.

Found It: In 1912 Dick, Kerr and Co‘s Preston factory were considering tendering for a Brazilian contract and approached the L&Y to use the Holcombe Brook branch for test purposes at Dick, Kerr’s expense. The line from Bury (Bolton Street Station_ to Holcombe Brook was electrified with the overhead 3.5 kV DC system; rolling stock was also supplied at Dick Kerr's cost. After prolonged trials the trains entered public use on 29 July 1913. The L&Y purchased the equipment and stock on the successful completion of the trials in 1916.

In both of the above cases, the "kickback" nature of the goods yard at the terminus was because the line climbed very steeply, to the final buffer-stop.

A case with a "kickback" yard at the foot of a steep gradient was Ramsgate Harbour.

Or, use an extract of Chard Junction, focusing on the separate branch terminus platform, exchange siding and goods shed, ignoring the main station altogether. That bit of branch wobbled around between LSWR and GWR operation over the years, so nicely fits the southern/western aspiration!

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2