The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

And another phone scam/nuisnace

34theletterbetweenB&D

• RMweb Premium

my Mum got caught out my one this morning pretending to be from virgin 

they told her that the payment had bounced and need card details 

thankfully she phoned me afterwards i got her to go to the bank got a stop on the card before any money taken out 

John 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• 2 weeks later...

A call yesterday, purporting to be from my building society.  They knew my name, but then wanted to go through security details.  I refused, so they gave me a number to ring back.

Today, I rang the number on my current account statement.  The building society had not rung me yesterday!

Be aware, if they cold call you, DO NOT GIVE OUT PERSONAL DETAILS and DO NOT RING THE NUMBER THEY GIVE YOU.

Bill

• Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

We have had two calls recently re. our plumbing and water insurance.
The caller, a male, speaking clear English, mentioned it was time to renew the policy....
It seemed reasonable/plausable, but we insisted on checking our paperwork, and asked them to ring back in an hour.
He did, we hadn't checked the paperwork, but dithered, we were put through to a far eastern dialect person to help us.
As we already were on guard, that was it.   And as stated so many times, don't give out information.
When we get any offers etc., from Utilities, insurance etc., we ask them to put it in writing and remind them they have our address on file so no need to repeat it over the phone.
We've never had a letter following any of those conversations. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, bbishop said:

A call yesterday, purporting to be from my building society.  They knew my name, but then wanted to go through security details.  I refused, so they gave me a number to ring back.

Today, I rang the number on my current account statement.  The building society had not rung me yesterday!

Be aware, if they cold call you, DO NOT GIVE OUT PERSONAL DETAILS and DO NOT RING THE NUMBER THEY GIVE YOU.

Bill

Indeed never call back on a number they give you. Look it up on a website that you KNOW is correct - their provided website name spelt incorrectly is a BIG giveaway.

I had a call claiming to be from my internet company - but I'm not with the one so named, so knew straight away that it was a scam.

He stated that he could prove the he was genuine, by giving me his ID number (a 6 digit number prefixed with a C or D - which is the system this company uses).

I told him that he was making it up as he went along. Click!

• Like 3

Apparently my none existent Amazon Prime account has been hacked again.

A robot just called me to to tell me.

However more worringly was a recent experience with Mrs SM42's bank. She called them due a problem making payments through internet banking and as I was in the room (I was double checking the account numbers payments were being made to) when they went through security they locked the account due to a security breech.

Oddly they don't seem to have a problem with recording a call for "training and quality assurance purposes" where they ask for the answers to all your  "secret" security questions.

She will be complaining and has changed her security questions and probably bank too if they try it again. Such security errors really shouldn't happen.

Even as I type the Amazon robot has called again. Very persistent.

Andy

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

I don't have a landline phone anymore so there can be no scam calls that way.

I only answer my mobile when the number is in my contacts list. When the unrecognized occasional number usually from towns and cities in the north rings it goes unanswered and is subsequently blocked. They usually give up after a couple of goes. If a 'private number' rings it is either my GP or the hospital.

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 1

Had a call just now, friendly-sounding (English) guy said he was returning my call regarding the insulation they recently installed under the government scheme. He only said his name (really his?), not the name of the organisation he was calling from. I said I didn't have a clue what he was talking about, Pal. Long pause, then he cut off the call. He was probably going to tell me I'd been overcharged, and he needed my bank account details so he could arrange a refund...

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Titan said:

I love this method of dealing with scammers.  It is automated, and whenever there is a pause in the conversation it automatically says the next phrase. Eventually it gets on to a loop and just keeps going until the scammer gives up, which sometimes can take a surprisingly long time...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CsEuJNSnh8

Wish I knew how to set it up!

Here's the instructions. I have never tried it personally, because I have my own business and need to answer all calls.

https://crosstalksolutions.com/howto-pwn-telemarketers-with-lenny/

• Like 1

I have just had a communication as part of our Neighbourhood Watch scheme. It is not a phone call, but an email - but I wouldn't be surprised if the phones scammers tried it on as well, given the current situation. 

It reads - 

Dear Members,

Please be aware of a new scam email advising that you are entitled to a tax refund (rebate) of £128.34. The email states that this is a precautionary measure in cooperation with National Insurance and National Health Services, It is NOT. It goes on to suggest the funds can help protect yourself against COVID-19 and to access the funds now by clicking on the blue hyperlink, Please DO NOT do this.

North Wales Police (NWP) have advised this has already cost the public more than £800,000 in a month and to contact Action Fraud for advice on: 0300 123 2040

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I had someone call me yesterday & ask for me by name, then wanted me to confirm my identity by telling them my address.

I actually believe they were genuine & this seems to be normal practise within some companies. It is bad practise because they could have been anyone who managed to get my name & number, wanting further information from me. How would I know over a phone call?

If anyone calls you, wanting to confirm your details, insist they read them to you because they should already have them. If they refuse, hang up.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

On 05/03/2020 at 10:06, Kylestrome said:

This should be of interest to those who haven't yet seen it:

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/stories-51660982/criminals-on-cctv-scammers-caught-red-handed

Worth watching the Panorama programme (spoiler alert - completely inconclusive) to see the guy that reverse hacked into the scammers’ office, including taking control of their CCTV to obtain that footage.

Which begs the question - if a private IT-savvy individual can do that, why not our Telecoms companies/law enforcers?  

• Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 minutes ago, EddieB said:

Worth watching the Panorama programme (spoiler alert - completely inconclusive) to see the guy that reverse hacked into the scammers’ office, including taking control of their CCTV to obtain that footage.

Which begs the question - if a private IT-savvy individual can do that, why not our Telecoms companies/law enforcers?  

Who says they don't?

And don't forget there was only an article a week ago about baby monitors and such like being hacked, then there are the doorbells with built in video - lets hope those aren't being stored by companies and the faces used to build facial recognition databases.

He hacked into the CCTV, I think the operative word is is hacked, unless he has some sort of warrant then I would expect it to be illegal, maybe he is covered by Indian laws that are more lax.

If someone was to do a similar thing in the UK I would hope that they had the necessary approvals to do so.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Coppercap said:

Had a call just now, friendly-sounding (English) guy said he was returning my call regarding the insulation they recently installed under the government scheme. He only said his name (really his?), not the name of the organisation he was calling from.

If that was 'Tom' he's moved on from our area then , he was very busy here last week .     :mocking_mini:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I had someone call me yesterday & ask for me by name, then wanted me to confirm my identity by telling them my address.

I actually believe they were genuine & this seems to be normal practise within some companies. It is bad practise because they could have been anyone who managed to get my name & number, wanting further information from me. How would I know over a phone call?

If anyone calls you, wanting to confirm your details, insist they read them to you because they should already have them. If they refuse, hang up.

To which my standard response is; "As you are calling me, you must already know them". I ask which company they are calling from and tell them if they tell me what it is about I will call them back.  Genuine callers will have no issues with that.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 20/02/2020 at 15:05, jbqfc said:

my Mum got caught out my one this morning pretending to be from virgin 

they told her that the payment had bounced and need card details 

thankfully she phoned me afterwards i got her to go to the bank got a stop on the card before any money taken out 

John 

well i now know how they got my mum's details 

Virgin media hack

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

One that went straight into my Spam folder a few days ago.  Am sure everyone on here is streetwise, but you may want to alert elderly relatives etc.

Email entitled 'Something Went Wrong'  Text looks very much like it's official TV Licensing pages saying there was a problem with my direct debit this month (except of course I pay one-off annually).

Email came from: admin@dermahealthpak.com

Easy to spot if you're on the ball but not the kind of thing an elderly person might notice

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Had a string of calls a few days ago from a number beginning 007 (?)

It should be Russia (maybe it was?) but the number of digits didn't tie in to any Russian number sequences.

I didn't answer - let it go the answer machine, haven't had it since.

• Like 1

Never having given my phone number or email address to the likes of HMRC, TVLA, DVLA, Microsoft etc., I never expect to get any legitimate contact from them. This must also apply to a lot of others who are succumbing to these scams.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 26/07/2019 at 13:15, Tony Davis said:

I had a call from "BT" with an interesting twist.

Heavily Indian/Asian call Centre accent

BT: This is BT, calling about your internet

Me: Uh huh

BT: We are going to help you fix it

Me: Uh huh

BT: Yeah, you need to be by your computer, are you by it?

Me: No

BT: Well can you go and stand by it?

Me: No

BT: Well why not?

Me: I don't want to

BT: Well you can F*** off - hangs up

Twist was him telling me to F*** off! That's my job! I was waiting for the moment to say it and he said it first.

I am most miffed!!

Another “gentleman” , similar profile, called this morning to tell me that I had been selected to test a mobile phone with 50% discount. I let him go through his script and asked “Pwy sy’n siarad?” He went through the script again so I asked him “pwy wyt ti?” 

Few moments silence then I heard him say “O f**k off” and he put the ‘phone down.

That’s the second time I been told that! I count that as a success!

• Like 8
  • Funny 3

On 28/10/2020 at 11:22, Tony Davis said:

Few moments silence then I heard him say “O f**k off” and he put the ‘phone down.

That’s the second time I been told that! I count that as a success!

I’ve never encountered that, even the chap who I put on hold to the BBC News theme tune didn’t swear at me (though he was obviously irritated).

• Like 3