Southern/BR CC2 1948 "blue" livery

In anticipation of building a resin body kit of a Raworth "Booster" I  have been looking at possible liveries to contrast with my existing black/silver and malachite liveried Southern designed diesel and electric locos.  Southern Way issue 11 talks of "ultramarine blue" being used in 1948 but I can't find any colour pictures for reference.   I would be very grateful if anyone could point me towards a colour  print of a CC2 in this experimental livery or which model paint would be the best match?  

Many thanks, Brian

• RMweb Gold

I don't recall seeing a colour picture of CC2, but the SEMG website has a black and white photo. Given it was painted blue in 1948 suggests it was perhaps the same ultramarine used in the BR experimental liveries of the time. I think several A3s and a King at least received this livery. Colour rail have colour photos of these locos. Try ref SC251 and SC252 for starters.

Thanks for that info.  I'm reassured by your view that the BR Ultramarine is a likely candidate.  The CCs went through "grey with whiskers", "blue", "green" and "black" with such rapidity that it is surprising that anyone, at that time, was able to fire up their Brownie 127 in time for a pic  - and as for a colour transparency!!  Since the livery was so fleeting I guess it will be more a matter of looking OK within my fleet rather than pursuing historical perfection.  I'll chase up the Colourail refs plus, if memory serves, the brief excursion of MN "Belgian Marine" in the same hue.