Peco Highland Railway Signal Cabin

Portchullin Tatty

• RMweb Premium

I was surprised to find these in Harburn Hobbies in Edinburgh today.  I  purchased what was probably the last one they had in stock, but they also had three made-up examples in a  display cabinet.

I wonder how long Peco have been working on these and was it a secret as the first announcement I noticed was in the current Railway Modeller.  Not that cheap (£19.95 RRP) but a nice looking kit comprising two postcard size laser cut wooden sheets and  a plastic fret from other kits for the gutters and downpipes.  It reminds me more of the Noch and Busch mini-kits than the more traditional Peco lineside series.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 02/07/2019 at 22:28, Ben Alder said:

A timber goods shed would be a catalyst, methinks.

I asked Peco that very point and also in N but no real positive response, but you never say never . I have got two of the cabins on order so look forward to making up. 

cheers

Robert     

There is a goods shed at one of the station around Helmsdale, but I can`t remember which one. I do have a photograph that I took twenty years ago but again I would have to find it. Alternately, I could make a trip up the road to take some more photos when the weather gets better.

The goods shed at Bridge of Dun station is ex Highland Railway (I can’t remember where they got it from), a very nice example of a Highland Railway one and probably a lot easier to arrange full access to for dimensions etc. 

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

I got one of these whilst in Scotland last month. It's going to control the sidings and goods yard around the distillery on my new layout. We were travelling around on a 15 day Spirit of Scotland rover, so managed to see the real box as well (excuse the rain it was an extremely wet day)

Helmsdale Signal Box

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Aberfeldy had one very similar, but the main difference is that the steps were on the other end. Those that have started/made the kit, is it possible to modify it to be "left handed"? It was also not as tall, but that would be easy to change. I have a project in mind based on Highland theme. so this cabin is on my shopping list, even if it can't be changed sensibly without major butchery!

Tod

On 07/12/2019 at 09:53, SweenyTod1 said:

Aberfeldy had one very similar, but the main difference is that the steps were on the other end. Those that have started/made the kit, is it possible to modify it to be "left handed"? It was also not as tall, but that would be easy to change. I have a project in mind based on Highland theme. so this cabin is on my shopping list, even if it can't be changed sensibly without major butchery!

Tod

I wanted to do exactly as you write about, turn it around so the door and ladder is on the opposite side as I am about to start a layout based on Forsinard . I even bought an additional kit to allow for my errors but have concluded that it isn`t realistically possible. That is unless anyone on here thinks differently? I have decided to just go with it as it is and accept the fact that the ladder is on the wrong side. its my layout anyway ! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 07/12/2019 at 09:53, SweenyTod1 said:

Aberfeldy had one very similar, but the main difference is that the steps were on the other end. Those that have started/made the kit, is it possible to modify it to be "left handed"? 

Tod

Yes, it will be possible, but would require some very very careful cutting and rejoining, and potentially scratch building replacements.

It does go together very well though, and a engaging and enjoyable kit.

C07A1F21-755D-46A7-AB00-06DE9E617900.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...

I had a break from laying track today and finished my cabin off.

What a cracking kit it was to make. The laser cut precision made it much easier than a normal injection kit to construct. Pain to paint the lining, but overall enjoyable and worth the effort. I'm not going to town weathering it, as I think it will loose its charm. I've lightly done the bricks and roof.

I fitted mine with the ratio internal kit, which needed trimming massivly, but will hopefully come to life when I light it up.

IMG_20200114_194455.jpg

IMG_20200114_194519.jpg

IMG_20200114_194643.jpg

• Like 11

17 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

They had a TV though. Hence the big aerial on the side....

;) 

I assume the lack of chimney is down to having electrical heating fitted.

Jason

They did typically have stoves and chimneys were therefore visible through the roof or more commonly out the back of the first floor and then rising up the rear to above the gutter height.  Whilst you need to look a little hard; you can see how they have been modelled on my cabins here .https://highlandmiscellany.com/portchullin-photocall/

I suspect it is because Peco have modelled the cabin as it now is at Helmsdale.  As such, it won't have been in use since the 1980s (when radio signalling was introduced on the Far North lines) and thus the stove is likely to have been removed.

Mark

Edited by Portchullin Tatty