Looking for Glenfinnan signalbox and station drawings

Weka Creek NZ

Hello everyone, 

I've been searching for a while for plans of Glenfinnan Station buildings and signalbox, but to no avail. A track plan would be really helpful too.

I would like to build an OO layout of the of the aforementioned based somewhere around the mid to late eighties (around when I was born! ) I've always been into New Zealand railways but the difficulty of modelling such has led me to discover the wonders of the West Highland line. I've managed to get a couple of Bachmann green and cream West Highland coaches (at great cost on ebay) and have a Hornby Black Five in LMS livery and 'Maude' on their way to me in NZ. I'd love to get a large logo class 37 with sound but they seem pretty rare and pricy.

I've got a few books on the West Highland and the Mallaig Extension in particular and have found so many neat photos on Flickr. My father has a huge collection of British model railway magazines but I have no idea in what magazine to look.

Any help, especially with plans/drawings or numbers of magazines with information/articles would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Evan

A fellow member of the Forth and Clyde area group of the 2MM Scale Association is building a model of Mallaig and Glenfinnan and I'm sure he'll have most, if not all, of what you need. I'll send him a link to your post when I get home later and see if he's happy to be put in touch with you. 

Jim 

• RMweb Premium

There’s also a company in the UK that does ready to plant building of Glenfinnan station and signal box. They are Dawson Hall. They currently have a website that’s under construction it seems, but someone on here may know contact details for it. 

(Ps I’m down in Timaru, small world really lol)

• RMweb Gold

Have you done the obvious, a search on google?

if you search on “glenfinnan railway track plan”, the first hit you get is for a thread on this site:

I think the station has been a feature of various West Highland Wanderings type articles in the Railway Modeller, including by Ian Futers.

Thanks Jim, I'd be great to have decent drawings to work from so I can scratchbuild some realistic miniature replicas.

Thanks Hilux5972, those Apple maps images are really useful. I'm hoping to exhibit this layout at shows in the South Island so no doubt we'll meet at some point! 

Regularity, I found the list of West Highland Wanderings articles and retrieved the magazine with the one about Glenfinnan from my father's collection. Some excellent information there. I had seen that thread before too, thanks. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have only just come across your post about your proposed plans for a model of Glenfinnan. I have for the last 5 yrs been exhibiting on the UK show circuit my own version of Glenfinnan based on 1970/1980's practice which is featured on this site. If I can be of any assistance to you I would be only to glad to help.

Regards, Bill.

Hi Bill,

I've seen pictures in magazines and videos on YouTube of your layout, as well as read your build log. It's certainly part of what has inspired me to have a go. I'll definitely have some questions as my build progresses.

I want to model the same era and I plan to exhibit it at train shows around New Zealand if possible. It's been my dream to have a layout in a magazine like railway modeller ever since my Dad started letting me read his model railway magazines. 

So far I've managed to aquire 37401 'Mary Queen of Scots', 37410 'Aluminium 100', 4 West Highland green and cream coaches (Harburn ltd ed. with the red stripe), Hornbys new 'Maude', some blue and grey Mk1's and a Hornby Black 5 that I will renumber and line to match 5305 'Alderman AE Draper'. I plan to get a Hornby K1 and paint and line it in LNER green as 2005 was sporting at the time.

I'm wondering if I need to get some TTA wagons to go on the end of a 37 hauled passenger service but I'm not sure which livery. Any other rolling stock I should look at getting? 

Cheers

Evan

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...