• 4 weeks later...

It'd be fair to say that absolutely naff all has happened on the layout recently... until today.

Decided to crack on with the platforms for Conwy considering it was a relatively easy but important task. Paper templates were drawn up, transferred onto sandwiched 9mm MDF (to become 18mm), and cut outside before coming back into the loft to check for clearances. The Hornby 390 and Dapol 121 were used for gauging runs to ensure any overhangs/wide bogies were catered for. Thankfully, with minor adjustments, I was able to declare it a success.

image.png.35222ae31aca878147ffe28f6907f8c1.png

image.png.6214465d2049d39c50a9c7d132564f25.png

image.png.436390dc65f9e10bca264bb945c3aa83.png

Not bad for a few minutes work! They'll eventually get a very similar treatment to the platforms on the other side of the layout. The surrounding landscape will be blended in to make the platforms look a bit narrower and more prototypical - the MDF base shape is literally just that.

The real life platforms are approx 55m long, so my MDF cut outs are a bit longer than they need to be, but allowing for the scenery to be built in, like road bridge, we should be pretty close.

Edited by JackB95
  • Like 12

• 1 month later...

Afternoon all.

Not much to report these days on the layout. Given the heatwaves and lack of motivation, I've rarely spent any time in the loft. However, that doesn't mean I've not been up there.

About a week ago I decided to sort out a little problem that's been bugging me for a while - an unlevel board joint! Somehow one of the boards in the fiddle yard wasn't sitting properly flush, and was causing a few issues when trains were passing over the joint. I decided to take up the track over the joint (ideally, where track joints were too!) and decided to relevel it. The three screws that were holding the plywood boards together came out, but it turned out that some glue from the cork sheets has also leaked down there and so a bit more force was needed to separate them.

Bit of huffing and puffing soon resulted in some relevelled boards, and so trains were soon able to recommence service in an improved manner. I also took the time to go round each board joint and level the whole layout out seeings as I never actually got round to it. Quite a few boards were out of level, but the adjustable feet on the legs that I built in last year soon came into good use. On the subject of board joints, the point where the hinged piece joins to the main layout has been semi-permanently fixed down to improve running quality. This will in turn mean that I have to step over the layout to get to the workbench. I knew this would eventually happen, but I'd rather that than have some possible derailments.

The station building commission work with JS Models is slowly coming together. It's not a priority project for Jonathan (I'm in no rush for it after all!), but we are getting there slowly but surely. Can't wait to show you all what it'll look like all put together.

I've recently given the whole layout a clean with the CMX and a hoover, and the odd running session has taken place. I've decided to take some pictures of the layout as it currently stands for you to see. Hope you like!

Ex FGW 153361 sits at the end of a 2-car consist on platform 5

image.png.38010a1c83a92659d4068780a107f567.png

Coupled up to 153361, is former Greater Anglia 153309

image.png.ae252fb524be08d0d4c41b3fcbaf7d37.png

XC services pass with 221135 on the left, and 43285/321 on the right

image.png.4a746dc43fad21a0273beb5a0a85d0c7.png

67002 sits in the headshunt in the depot awaiting attention by the fitters. DVT 82301 is tucked in behind followed by 09014

image.png.b8c9dfc68acdaeaf2e080450c1e693f0.png

A double London Midland 350, with 238 sitting at the exit end, sits in 5-road whilst Colas Rail 56302 and TfW 67025 await their next duties alongside in 4-road

image.png.e6646a6610a51a1196990f1a7749b18e.png

A plethora of units in the fueling/stabling roads. 143609, 121034, 121032, and 158773 can be seen here

image.png.0bedfac51ee20c5ea9a9f9bc219cee01.png

DRS choppers 20312 and 20309 head through Conwy working 6D41 Crewe - Valley with one flask wagon

image.png.9694619c06a22f2dbbda1de62c649fa9.png

TfW 153320 and ATW 57315 sit side-by-side in the fiddle yard

image.png.dc221ed4eed69448f0500fbe88835300.png

Colas Railfreight 37421 and DB Schenker 37670 sit on top of the rake of GBRf MJA wagons

image.png.3c57cd0527b8218f9b1f88fc6c92c483.png

Cheers!

Edited by JackB95
Fixing broken pictures
  • Like 13

44 minutes ago, Powerhaul 70 Pey said:

Nice selection of locos, especially the colas 56!

Cheers mate! A friend of mine spotted it in his local model shop, sound fitted, for £150! Had to buy it. Turns out it's a pro respray, and perfect for the RHTT along the NWCoast ;-) 

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all. Bit of an update for you seeings as very little has happened of late!

Decided to make a start building the backscenes yesterday. Using leftover 9mm ply from the main layout build, I was able to cut and prepare lengths ready to be screwed into a backscene frame. Nothing fancy like, but inspired by Everard Junction's method (which I guess most of my woodwork was loosely based on).

This morning I dragged my arse to Wickes to get some 3mm hardboard and timber, before returning home and cracking on with it. Typically, I chose a hot day to be out in the garden, AND be in the loft. Fair to say I was sweating more than a glassblower's arse.

It made sense to build the backscenes in three 8ft long sections given the lengths of timbers were 8ft. The first one slotted in nicely, and I was able to clamp a bit of hardboard over the top to get a rough idea. Amazing what a bit of white wood can do!

image.png.65b248ad43801e9080cba2a87c39aeb3.png

The other two lengths, down the side of the depot mostly, were a bit fiddlier due to the nature of where the layout was positioned and the roof joists. I had ended up moving the whole layout to the left by approx 1 inch in order to give enough room to slide the boards in. 

Just got the end board by the shed, and the station portal to make up before I declare the framework done. 

With regards to the backscene itself, I've opted for ID Backscene's 'Village' pack [203A-C] which makes up a whopping 30ft of print using high-quality paper. I've not used ID's stuff before, but having watched various peoples' experience with the stuff, I've decided to make the purchase. Thankfully, I need 28ft of surface covered, so it kinda works out rather well! The particular print I've chosen is, I'd say, the closest match to Llandudno Junction given the shape of the hills and look of the surrounding area.

I'll be trimming and mounting each sheet onto the hardboard individually, before that gets attached to the main framework. It'll give me the best opportunity to get a perfect application in the space.

So that's it for now! I'll come back when the paper is up and the layout actually looks colourful!

Thanks

Edited by JackB95
Fixing broken pictures
  • Like 12

51 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I used ID backscenes and am very happy with them.  A tip on installing them - a second pair of hands would be very useful!

Cheers for that suggestion! I've also seen people use double sided tape to help. Certainly very useful for solo types like myself. 

• Like 1

We're nearly there with the backscenes. It's amazing what a bit of paper and ink can do.

Double-side tape and a 50/50 PVA mix has been rather successful in fixing the paper to the hardboard. Never had much success with backscenes, but I think this has gone well. Thanks to Everard Junction for his hints and tips, plus those who've also inputted - much appreciated!

A couple of bits left to do. Mostly the two end panels, and the curved bit in the corner by the station. A curved frame will be built to fix the boards to allow for full support. Once that's in the last board behind the shed can be completed as I'll know the length it'll need to be. The strip light above the station will be remounted on the backscenes as currently the layout is now cast in shadow on that section.

image.png.8a56f33095697b79b2e6f3b48d01152c.png

image.png.4e42a5e4acb8f82c3812bd3851a6f32b.png

The join in the depot between pack B and C of the sheets appears to be of a different saturation, and forms an obvious join in the paper. A quick search on ScaleModelScenery's website found a perfect way to hide the join - temporary office kit.

Will cover the height perfectly, and also helps build the depot scene, where this kit will act as the depot canteen/offices.

Cheers all!

Edited by JackB95
  • Like 13

14 minutes ago, 1722 said:

A two storey version of the ‘green house’ at Basford Hall!

Looks great, Jack. Great job on the back scenes!

Funny you should mention that building. It was the first thing I thought of when I saw this online. Cheers Chris.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A small update for you all.

So at the weekend, I came home to find some 3D printed parts from Rusty Rails who'd kindly done me a f-tonne of very modern cable trunking pieces. 135 pieces to be precise! They're based on the polymer model made by Thorne & Derrick (ha, what a nerd I am) and really look good. Certainly an "ooh they're different" moment. I've loosely laid them out where I want them to be, and I'm hoping for some 45-degree pieces to be designed and made so I can replicate where OHLE posts will be installed at a later date (trunking tends to follow the same line as masts, so curve to one side at each mast).

image.png.c5923c131f9574a95d7a936b4bf4c0ed.png

image.png.687e3b458a0b5b92d58a0f80d3b14564.png

image.png.53c9cf965f1469113bfd96c370bf4f8c.png

I think we can all agree that the level of detail captured by Rusty Rails is just fantastic. These'll be painted a light grey prior to being installed, along with the rest of the trunking.

The eagle-eyed of you will have noticed the backscenes have been fully installed now, and the corner piece has been curved thanks to using leftover insulation sheeting from the loft conversion. Since these photos were taken, a bank was built using more offcuts, and this will help blend the scene in, but also hide the anchor points for the curved piece of hardboard.

image.png.e3499b6c7f567e9507b5fc7c2b09b5ce.png

A few more little projects need to be worked on in the meantime. Hopefully have another update for you in the next month or so!

Edited by JackB95
Fixing broken pictures
  • Like 13

• 2 weeks later...

A few people have asked for a running session video, and I thought given the wet weather this afternoon, it'd be a good time to get one done!

I recently set up an old phone as a throttle which has helped massively as I prefer to film using my current phone. 

• Like 7

• JackB95 changed the title to The Junction & Conwy (formerly The Loft Project)
  • 2 weeks later...

4 additional Dapol IOAs were released at the start of October along with other modern image wagons. Perfectly timed with my 26th birthday, these wagons have joined the other 7 to make a strong 11-car rake. Only 6 of them have false loads, so that needs correcting!

An order of ScaleModelScenery parts is being sorted, so here's to a (hopefully) bit of decent scenery work!

image.png.a04dee39768cc2cc2efc5c533db865df.png

Edited by JackB95
Fixing broken pictures
  • Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

A while ago, my craft knife went missing and I've spent a bit of time recently trying to hunt it down. Low and behold, it's in a box with some aerosol paints hiding in my bedroom. Don't ask.

Anyway, a bit of progress was made today! ScaleModelScenery delivered some goods recently, and I decided to put them into action today. First up, platform sides!

image.png.958cecfd5d97112bf8aa97e2b7d93d51.png

Conwy was the first to have the red brick sides applied. The newly-found knife and a rule were used to extract them from the sheet, then fixed using a thin layer of CopyDex. Delicious. I then moved over to Junction, but discovered 2 of the 4 sheets in the 1 pack I bought were textures for ledges which I'm not building. Balls. Need another pack to finish the main island! But platforms 4 and 5 are near enough done.

image.png.904ab957751bfc52e22c40be594708c1.png

Love the quality of the textures, and I'm glad I've gone for this rather than printing my own out at home with some iffy colours and paper.

Textures for the tops are sourced, and hopefully I have enough that! Although I paid a bit more attention to what it says on the box at is were so should be good. I'll mount those textures onto 1250thou grey board card stuff that I'll sort in the next week or so. Be nice to have some platforms that look like platforms!

Another kit that I got was the 'temporary' office kit to help blend in the two-tonne green backscene join in the depot area. Painted and built over the course of the day, this is what I have!

image.png.baf2246a59a05030530f8e2ae1257798.png

A lovely little kit that looks at home. You can also see it plonked loosely in position on a new authorised walkway that's been built using 2mm card and buff ballast in 15mm wide strips. At least drivers can't moan about walking down a muddy track to the headshunt now...

image.png.0951197700415088718f6e17bfd575f5.png

image.png.80b748593af90f8c8416b6a066a6a2d5.png

Some tube clamp safety railings have been sprayed up yellow, but won't be installed until I've covered the ground between the paths and backscene - saves snapping them off when my fat hands come in.

That's it for now! I'll do another update when the platforms look pretty. Cheers!

Edited by JackB95
  • Like 11

21 minutes ago, Powerhaul 70 Pey said:

Good progress!  It's annoying when you get your modelling mojo then run out of supplies but the platforms are looking good.

Without a doubt yes! I was in a productive mood given I was due to have an electrician round to give me a quote for a big job. Alas, I've run out of textures, and he's had to postpone. Damn.

Well, I lied. This next update ISN'T when platforms look pretty, but something else does!

image.png.4fb7e68a29dc9f28e79fef354751c4a0.png

image.png.3730ff9b756c65e4541f4b21c1c2a0ec.png

image.png.96ea1afc42cfa4832a17e463b8d55bbc.png

Sourced some more 3mm hardboard, and decided to finish the backscenes off! Not a perfect job, but it looks alright methinks.

Cheers

Edited by JackB95
  • Like 10

• 3 weeks later...

Well amazingly, the postie came round on Sunday to deliver my goods! I believe there's an issue locally, possibly a bit more widespread, with the Royal Mail which would explain why there's been delays getting post. Alas, I am now in possession of some more printed sheets!

A few blemishes need sorting, and a good old coating of suitable matt varnish to remove the shine that you unfortunately get with printed textures, and we're good to go!

Overall view of Conwy station. Wrinkles showing quite well unfortunately! One of the cons of using paper textures. Matt varnish should help massively here. I also only ordered one pack of 5 sheets. I initially thought this was a mistake and should've ordered a 2nd pack. However, using the textures carefully to maximise coverage, I was able to just about get away with it. Meant more joins than originally planned, but worth it.

image.png.a8e531750de5ca493c1cc779ce7592c3.png

Another shot of the wrinkles. But damn, that looks good.

image.png.7b701eddf7a1a1ccc472990401be2f60.png

Overall view of Junction station now the main island has been sorted. Once the main station building is installed, it'll blend it all in nicely and look a treat.

image.png.6e8a89e8a181e0cc3bf5572aaf0d4218.png

This angle works particularly well I think. Two DRS 68s reflecting slightly in the shiny textures. Just noticed how wonky the track is though. May have to sort that out haha!

image.png.cc9dc937083c59ffd121d4ea387ba17e.png

Comments welcome!

Edited by JackB95
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1