On 01/10/2020 at 19:59, JackB95 said:

Been a while since I made any progress on here! Mainly due to lack of funds. Now that rest day shifts are becoming more available at work (awaits comment from @d winpenny), I'm able to finally pull a finger out and get moving. Been recommended a new model shop in Doncaster that's opened as a result of the dried up exhibition work being available. Run out of a small unit at the back of a storage warehouse, 'Anoraks Annonymous' have an amazing collection of stock for everyone that's going at a great price! Included was these Peco points at £6 each! Steal!

120606326_3468173489907265_7859415188727

These'll get fitted, along with PM1 seep motors, with the other track that I've got in the fiddle yard. There's still a few bits left to get, but otherwise we're getting there!

Latest track plan revision stands at this. A few minor adjustments (everything is still TBC until track is pinned down) made to the plan thanks to a few suggestions made by followers

237727072_Trackplanv2-3(graphics).png.26e23c71e0acab8734198f5c7ed3cf79.png

Onwards and upwards!

Wonderful place is Anoraks ain't it and Sophie's great too , 10 minute drive for me but until she start's opening on a Saturday i can't get :huh:

18 hours ago, sulzer71 said:

Wonderful place is Anoraks ain't it and Sophie's great too , 10 minute drive for me but until she start's opening on a Saturday i can't get :huh:

Ohhh that's not good. She did mention on her Facebook briefly how if you ask her, she'll see what she can do. Obviously she can't meet everyone's needs, but if you're willing to throw lots of money in her face on a weekend in an innocent railway-related manner, then I'm sure she'll do her best.

24 minutes ago, JackB95 said:

Ohhh that's not good. She did mention on her Facebook briefly how if you ask her, she'll see what she can do. Obviously she can't meet everyone's needs, but if you're willing to throw lots of money in her face on a weekend in an innocent railway-related manner, then I'm sure she'll do her best.

Yeah , i'm going to collect something this evening after work which is after her closing time so she's going to hang on for me , I have mentioned that i could imagine Saturdays would be very profitable if she was to open 

• 3 weeks later...

GOOD NEWS! It's not a Dacia Sandero unfortunately, but it is a nearly completed fiddle yard!

More track parts arrived in the post the other day courtesy of KMS Railtech (fantastic service - highly recommend), and I decided to make the most of day 1 of my long weekend by cracking on with the fiddle yard. A few alterations were made along the way, allowing for what track I had. I'll finish it off tomorrow as my stomach had other plans and didn't allow me to finish it off today.

Far from perfect, but not a bad bit of day's work I'd say...

image.png.9bef66d826e85b8a600cd9258fe2b310.png

image.png.3265aed980a1a74de812b61659d68bce.png

Edit - it has been mentioned by a friend to put some right hand points in that empty corner and make some smaller loco stabling areas. Not a bad shout, considering I've got two right hand point spare. I was thinking of stabling the sleeper in that back road so it'd work out well I reckon.

Edited by JackB95
Fixing broken image links
  • Like 5

Bit more progress this morning, and thus effectively completing the fiddle yard before I venture into the station and hinged baseboard areas. 

image.png.1e72b4f55ae0fda05da92701fac0597c.png

Edited by JackB95
Fixing broken pictures
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to clear the station side of the layout ready to glue some cork strips down prior to making a start on the scenic trackwork.

Three similar length pieces were glued to the boards using PVA, and have since dried leaving me with this (complete with loosely placed track)

image.png.3cbddeafeeebecbc08f0761220ae3774.png

A bit of online research has lead me to the decision to stick my track down using Copydex which is quite a popular product amongst fellow modellers. If it's good enough for Everard Junction, it's good enough for me. 

So this evening I've placed an order for 1L of the stuff, plus some drawing board pins to help keep the track down whilst the glue cures, some wire and some solder. I'll be fitting dropper wires to each length of track as I go along, fitting it to the underneath and drilling holes as well to keep things neat and tidy. 

Come payday on Friday, I'll also try and source the remaining pointwork that I need so I can, in theory, have trackwork done and dusted by the end of the month. May as well use lockdown effectively... 

And for those who are wondering if I've fitted droppers to the fiddle yard lengths - not yet I haven't. I'll do this when the wire arrives, and solder the wire to the outside of the rails as it doesn't need to be as concealed as the scenic side needs to be. 

Cheers all

Edited by JackB95
Fixing broken pictures
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, saxokid said:

Coming along real treat now this layout build 

Cheers Neil.

I'll be updating the thread either Monday or Tuesday with what's been happening recently. Lots of trackwork going on at the moment as you'll have no doubt seen on Facebook...

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, JackB95 said:

Cheers Neil.

I'll be updating the thread either Monday or Tuesday with what's been happening recently. Lots of trackwork going on at the moment as you'll have no doubt seen on Facebook...

Yer try follow all your modelling when can Jack:sungum::sungum:

• Friendly/supportive 1

Been a busy old long weekend for yours truly. Spent the majority of it in the loft messing with track, solder, wires, glue and cork to name a few... Nearly all the track is now down, with the exception of the hinged baseboard of which I'm waiting for some parts to arrive in the post, and the second road of where the depot shed will go as I'm not sure what the track centre measurements are for the kit.

Certainly been a learning curve, and despite lacking the experience, the track laying seems to be quite a success. I mean, I've not got trains running yet so all hell could break loose, but otherwise.

Each length of track and pointwork has droppers fitted and waiting to be connected under the boards. Pointwork also has holes drilled ready for point motors to be fitted. I've also, for the first time, attempted superelevated track on the sweeping curve. The last photo with the pendolino showcases this well (not forgetting the model also tilts as per prototype).

Ran out of track yesterday, and with flexitrack very difficult to find at the moment due to it being in demand, I was lucky enough to find Monk Bar Models in York having half a box available. Not any more they haven't I've got some sleeper alignment thingies from ModelTech due in the post this week which will hopefully be the all-singing solution to keeping the track aligned on the hinged board.

So yeah, I'm getting there...

The Station (3 through, 1 bay)

image.png.b6487b78b4db83e7d817292c9831bfc3.png

Depot junction, complete with decent length headshunt

image.png.70465fa3066bf601da764af09e2dd072.png

Long sweeping curve was one of the features I wanted when first designing the layout

image.png.473fe0334c10770683b0a62752b6b618.png

The 2-road depot and 3-road fueling/stabling area. The back road of the shed won't be fitted until I know the track centres for the shed as it comes with its own hard standing

image.png.c12e0ac06907eb3b69f86f98ba656955.png

Another view of the depot and sweeping curve. Where the empty space is bottom right, there'll be the new Metcalfe castle kit which'll add to the North Wales theme

image.png.03cbe420fa6270b689a891feb98025b3.png

The last bit of trackwork to do on the mainline. Waiting for the ModelTech alignment sleeper things to arrive so I can crack on with this. Oh, and I'll need to cut the last of the wood to take the curve onto the fiddle yard. The 11-track fiddle yard of which can be seen behind.

image.png.1fa15c554b76120deb7d028dee368c56.png

The two tracks nearest the camera are the main running loops, with the remaining 9 tracks behind (plus two loco sidings top right) forming the other half of the yard

image.png.8def23254c778fc1977ba3d6cd0d4670.png

And finally the mishmash of pointwork showing the flexibility of the station and the fiddle yard. The back 4 yard lines can only be accessed by platform 1 (nearest wall)

image.png.f66aa484278a4144ead1382a770462e8.png

And finally, the superelevated sweeping curves using the matchstick technique as used by Everard Junction. Works a bloody treat!

image.png.e670a81d8ed688cc2a633cd8dc751d27.png

Comments welcome! Very much looking fowrard to progressing more and finally getting some trains running! Shan't rush though.

Edited by JackB95
  • Like 6

13 hours ago, JackB95 said:

Each length of track and pointwork has droppers fitted and waiting to be connected under the boards.

How are you planning on managing this as there doesn't appear to be a lot of room under the boards? Did you get a trolley on wheels as you mentioned earlier in the thread?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bartram108 said:

How are you planning on managing this as there doesn't appear to be a lot of room under the boards? Did you get a trolley on wheels as you mentioned earlier in the thread?

Breathe in and hope for the best! You've reminded me to sort out a car creeper to make getting under the boards much easier, so I've just ordered one which'll be here by the weekend. Thanks for jogging my memory. Whether it'll work in practice is anyone's guess, but life's short. 

4 hours ago, ikcdab said:

The layout looks excellent, well done. Impressed by how fast you have for on with it. 

Cheers! Obviously it's not a race, and rushing only makes things worse, but I can assure those who are worried, corners were not cut to get things done quickly. The only things that were cut were rails and cork ;)

1 hour ago, 1722 said:

Good to hear there will be a north Wales vibe. That’s my plan for my 009 too. 

great work JB, looking forward to seeing things running!

Many thanks Chris! I'm early stages of sorting the station buildings out. There's a plan for them! 

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, JackB95 said:

Cheers! Obviously it's not a race, and rushing only makes things worse, but I can assure those who are worried, corners were not cut to get things done quickly. The only things that were cut were rails and cork ;)

For me, I need to get things running to maintain enthusiasm. I can't be one of those who has a non-running layout for years and years....

1 minute ago, ikcdab said:

For me, I need to get things running to maintain enthusiasm. I can't be one of those who has a non-running layout for years and years....

I know the feeling mate. Been without a loopy loopy layout for 5 and a half years, so I am kinda desperate to get things running... Hopefully by the end of the month I'll have something!

It's not been mentioned anywhere on here yet, so here's my current fleet list as things stand:

08822           Hornby             First Great Western (FGW Blue)

08907           Bachmann       DB Schenker (Red / Grey)

20309           Bachmann       Direct Rail Services (Compass)

20312           Bachmann       Direct Rail Services (Compass)

37099           Bachmann       Colas Rail (CRf w/o helmet) SOUND

37421           Bachmann       Colas Rail (CRf w/o helmet)

37425           Bachmann       British Rail (BR Large Logo)

37429           Bachmann       Regional Railways (RR Blue / White)

37670           Bachmann       DB Schenker (Red / Grey)

43055           Hornby             East Midlands Trains (Blue)

43048           Hornby             East Midlands Trains (Blue)

43321           Hornby             CrossCountry Trains (Brown / Silver) SOUND

43285           Hornby             CrossCountry Trains (Brown / Silver) SOUND

47790           ViTrains            Northern Belle (Chocolate / Cream)

47832           ViTrains            Northern Belle (Chocolate / Cream)

56302           Hornby             Colas Rail (CRf w/o helmet) SOUND

57305           Bachmann       Northern Belle (Chocolate / Cream)

57312           Bachmann       Northern Belle (Chocolate / Cream)

57315           Bachmann       Arriva Trains Wales (WAG Blue)

576xx            Bachmann      First Great Western (FGW Blue) SOUND - RESPRAY DUE

60066           Hornby             DB Schenker (Drax Silver)

66301           Bachmann       FastLine (Grey / Black)

67002           Hornby             Arriva Trains Wales (WAG Plain Blue)

67012           Hornby             Wrexham & Shropshire (Grey / Silver) SOUND

67013           Hornby             DB Schenker (Red / Grey)

67014           Hornby             Wrexham & Shropshire (Grey / Silver)

67025           Hornby             Transport for Wales (TfW White / Red) SOUND

68003           Dapol                Direct Rail Services (Compass revised)

68006           Dapol                ScotRail (Spotty Blue)

68010           Dapol                DRS / Chiltern Railways Mainline (Grey / Silver)

68019           Dapol                TransPennine Express (Shell suit)

70006           Bachmann       Freightliner (PowerHaul)

121032          Dapol               Arriva Trains Wales (Turqoise / Cream)

121034          Dapol               British Rail (BR Green / Small Yellow Front)

143607          RealTrack         Arriva Trains Wales (WAG Blue) SOUND

143609          RealTrack         Arriva Trains Wales (Turqoise / Cream)

150202          Bachmann       Central Trains (Centro Green) ONE VEHICLE ONLY - SPARES DONOR

150236          Bachmann       Arriva Trains Wales (WAG Blue)

150256          Bachmann       Arriva Trains Wales (Turqoise / Cream)

150916          Bachmann       First Great Western (FGW Blue)

153000          Hornby             (No Livery) SPARES DONOR

153305          Hornby             Porterbrook (White / Grey doors) SOUND

153309          Hornby             Transport for Wales (GA White / Red)

153313          Hornby             Transport for Wales (EMR Blue / Red / Yellow)

153320          Hornby             Transport for Wales (TfW White / Red)

153327          Hornby             Arriva Trains Wales (WAG Blue)

153329          Hornby             Transport for Wales (FGW Blue / Pink)

153367          Hornby             Arriva Trains Wales (Turqoise / Cream)

153367          Hornby             Arriva Trains Wales (Turqoise / Cream)

153368          Hornby             Great Western Railways (GWR Green)

153374          Hornby             East Midlands Trains (Blue)

170102          Bachmann        CrossCountry Trains (Brown / Silver)

350101          Bachmann        London Midland (Green / Grey / Black)

350238          Bachmann        London Midland (Green / Grey / Black)

390001          Hornby              Avanti West Coast (Blue / White / Orange)

390012          Hornby              Virgin Trains (Red / Silver) PRE-ORDERED

373005/06    Kato                   Eurostar (White) N GAUGE

82301            Hornby              Wrexham & Shropshire (Grey / Silver)

82305            Hornby              Chiltern Railways Mainline (Grey / Silver)

82307            Hornby              Arriva Trains Wales (WAG Blue)

DR98910/60 Bachmann        Network Rail (Railtrack Blue / Green)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, d winpenny said:

Jack this is an intervention I need you to say it with me .... I have too many dog boxes. I have a problem, it’s okay...

nice collection bud

Never! They're addictive haha! Shane they're not amazing models (do we mention the roof shape?), but hey. Perfect to fill up the bay platform with ;)

Cheers Dave

A bit more work done to the layout recently has now resulted in two complete loops! Received my ModelTech track aligners last week and have been fiddling around with them. Fair to say my soldering skills need improving, and maybe next time don't put curved track over baseboard joins...

Next up is the chore of wiring everything up where I can. The pointwork can't be done until the motors are purchased, but all the plainline track can be sorted at least. That's a task for later on today and the next few days at least.

image.png.30178d88cf71e98de8626e42a06aa29a.png

image.png.512c4c42f5d21014cbae0fa1f49ed3bd.png

Edited by JackB95
  • Like 3

Spent the past few days crawling around the floor with a soldering iron, wire, and copper tape. The result?

image.png.61aa8c95237dbc43b74de257ed3ea65f.png

The rails haven't been cleaned at all, and nor have the wheels of my stock, but 37099 was the first to thrash around the layout and boy did it perform well. No short circuits, no dodgy bits of trackwork (so far) that have flagged up, and surpisingly considering the points need wiring in to the motors still, a near-faultless run was had. It even hugged the superelevated track as per picture like a dream. Can't WAIT to see what full length trains, especially a HST, will look like in the coming months as the layout develops.

I shan't bore you with pictures of my wiring underneath unless anyone's particularly interested. The important factor is - it works!

Cheers

Edited by JackB95
Fixing broken pictures
  • Like 7