MR/LMS Coach ID Required

It looks like a D1735 Brake Third and a D1921 Composite.

Possibly Pull/Push fitted although I don't think the locomotive is fitted.

Date approximately 1947 to 1948. Possibly pre August as it seems to have been at Hellifield after then.

http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&type=S&id=114595&loco=1205

Jason

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

The D1921 composite is available RTR in 4 mm/ft scale from Hornby, R4656 &c.

The D1735 brake third is a Period 1 fully-panelled vehicle but in terms of overall dimensions and internal layout is similar to the D1907 brake third from Hornby, R4677. However, if you really wanted to reproduce the D1735 vehicle, the appropriate Comet/Wizard sides, code M25, on a Dapol/ex-Airfix Period 2 lavatory brake third would be a better starting-point, as the period 2 vehicle has the same wood-and-canvas roof with long rainstrips as the period 1 vehicle.

On 27/06/2019 at 14:03, Steamport Southport said:

Date approximately 1947 to 1948. Possibly pre August as it seems to have been at Hellifield after then.

http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&type=S&id=114595&loco=1205

Jason

I've updated details for the early 2MT's - 1205 was new to Derby shed week ending 21/12/1946. There is a discrepancy on the database - not sure if it went to Derby (17A) or Bank Hall (27A) w/e 31/12/1960. Any ideas?

On 27/06/2019 at 13:17, Holmesfeldian said:

Can anyone correctly identify these 2 coach types (on a Derby to Wirksworth service just before it was withdrawn) and if they exist in RTR, please?

According to the list of P&P coaches in Jenkinson & Essery's LMS Coach volume 3, no D.1703 coaches were converted to Driving Trailers, though the notes in the summary table suggest that 20299 became the Morecambe - Heysham driving trailer in 1950. However, two D.1771, 54ft brake thirds, were converted in 1927. I suspect this coach is one of these.

There are no RTR period 1 non-corridor coaches, and I don't think anyone does any of the 54' stock.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, billbedford said:

According to the list of P&P coaches in Jenkinson & Essery's LMS Coach volume 3, no D.1703 coaches were converted to Driving Trailers, though the notes in the summary table suggest that 20299 became the Morecambe - Heysham driving trailer in 1950. However, two D.1771, 54ft brake thirds, were converted in 1927. I suspect this coach is one of these.

I only have the one-volume first edition of LMS Coaches but this does have a photo of a D1771 54ft brake third, plate 30b. From this it is apparent the the OP's photo does not show one of these but definitely a D1703 57ft brake third, as the positions of the double doors and brake compartment window are swapped between the two diagrams, i.e. D1771 has 3rd compt/panel/window/panel/luggage doors/3 panels/guard's door/ducket// whereas D1703 has 3rd compt/3 panels/luggage doors/2 panels/window/2 panels/guard's door/ducket//.

So I think we have to conclude that this is not a motor train. Anyway nobody's said the engine is motor-fitted - which is the sort of thing that is well-documented - though if it is, the vacuum-controlled valve on the side of the smokebox would be hidden by the tank at this angle..

I hope Holmsfeldian will be dropping by to thank us all for our erudition!

Edited by Compound2632

On 27/06/2019 at 14:03, Steamport Southport said:

Jason

I did say this.

But I was assuming it was Motor fitted due to the van part being at the end. It should be in the middle.

Jason

• Like 1