Ruddington GCR North Model Railway Exhibition

Adrian Stevenson

• RMweb Gold

Went to the show on Saturday. Did not arrive until late due to work so did not have time to incorporate a train ride. As you all know it was a hot day. Several layouts seem to suffer from dirty track, most likely due to the dusty conditions in the shed.

The were about 6 or 7 layouts. Naturally I spent most of my time looking at the O gauge stuff. 

The resident model of Ruddington Station was good.

Cheers, Ade.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

TThe Friends of the GCR Main Line were there with our stand and N gauge layout and we spoke with many visitors.

The GCRN loco depot building is quite dark and not ideal for a model display but the site also includes the miniature railway circuit, 0 gauge display track and bus depot with other exhibits, so the GCRN do their best with the facilities available, There was quite a lot of activity on the site and the catering is much improved on previous years.

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Dava said:

so the GCRN do their best with the facilities available,

But not to the point of hiring a marquee to house the layout in a more suitable location like they used to do ......

That shed really is not appropriate for housing layouts that have has many hours and hundreds of pounds spent on their creation. It is also too cramped with very poor isle width. One family with a buggy and everything grinds to a halt ....

4 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

But not to the point of hiring a marquee to house the layout in a more suitable location like they used to do ......

That shed really is not appropriate for housing layouts that have has many hours and hundreds of pounds spent on their creation. It is also too cramped with very poor isle width. One family with a buggy and everything grinds to a halt ....

Knowing the people who organise the show, it's intended to be an add on attraction to the railway. Given the much lower profile of the GCR (N) compared to their southern colleagues the number of visitors is significantly lower. To hire a marquee would quite likely make the event unviable.

The shed is no worse than other venues we have exhibited Deepcar in although for different reasons.

A couple spring to mind, the slipway at Chatham was completely open to the elements at one end, fortunately we were there on a blisteringly hot summer weekend, the following year it was almost arctic.

Lincoln museum was very dark and Barrow Hill roundhouse just before Christmas is very cold, not to mention the condensation involved in having locos in steam there as well.

All a part of the experience, if you don't want to go it's your choice.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, great central said:

if you don't want to go it's your choice.

Agreed.

To be honest it's worth the trip just for the "big" railway and the excellent kids play area the other side of the tracks. I've been invited to exhibit but declined though.

5 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

I visited last year but it isn't something I'd do again. The venue just isn't suitable, cramped, dark and a fair number of trip hazards; sorry!

Edited by PenrithBeacon
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I exhibited my layout there a couple of years ago - the organisers were helpful and I could choose what hotel we stayed in, which was nice.

The shed is what it is - a loco shed. It's dark and the lights are poor. If you don't provide your own good lighting for your layout, you will struggle to see anything, and whatever you do, don't wear any clothes you care about. The floor is filthy, and layouts being layouts, you have to get up close and personal with it while working underneath the baseboards

That said, it was a nice couple of days, and quite novel to be operating with real locos in steam (or in diesel in the case of the smoky 03) outside the doors

My  layout Norman Colliery  was attending its first show in the running shed  and I thought the dark and smoky atmosphere really  added to the run down feeling of an end of life colliery that I am trying to create. I would like to thank the lads who organised the show for their hospitality and letting me loose on the public with my efforts.

IMG_0424.JPG

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, itsme said:

My  layout Norman Colliery  was attending its first show in the running shed  and I thought the dark and smoky atmosphere really  added to the run down feeling of an end of life colliery that I am trying to create. I would like to thank the lads who organised the show for their hospitality and letting me loose on the public with my efforts.

Where are you based?

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, itsme said:

IMG_0424.JPG

And very good it is too.

Dava

• Agree 1