SDJR at Poole

Guest Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

Elsewhere comment has been made about the goods traffic originating from Poole (Hamworthy), notably cider apples from Normandy.

However. there is very little photographic evidence of SDJR goods traffic in the Poole area, presumably the traffic originated or rather was assembled in Poole Goods Yard and on the Hamworthy branch.

There was considerable potential for freight traffic from/to Poole. In 1960 the following Mon-Friday scheduled services from/to the SDJR:-

08:17 arr exEvercreech

11:43 arr exEvercreech

12:27 arr exBroadstone (was this SDJR traffic?)

and

10:57 dep to Broadstone (was this SDJR traffic?)

15:05 dep to Templecombe

20:10 dep to Bath

Cheers

Jack

Hi all, first post.

I am modelling the stour valley in my loft, Stur to Blandford. After trawling through all the Ivo books i have come to realise that theres not much info on this section of the line.

Apples going north, milk for Bailey Gate,fertilizer and seeds at Blandford, maybe beer from Hall and Woodhouse, Stur cattle market and dairy, maybe the odd banana van, etc.

I am scaling down my ambitions from double headed west countrys to small local services.

I walked the section from Blandford to Stur recently and there is much to see, lots of bridges, lovely 10 mile walk (including a couple of pub stops).

Looking forward to posting here, have read for a while and you all know the line well.

Thanks.

• Like 1

>>>After trawling through all the Ivo books i have come to realise that theres not much info on this section of the line...

Not surprising really, as the 'Dorset' was the bit of the S&DJR furthest from his flat in Bath. Also perhaps not so much in terms of heavy gradients to get photos of engines working hard, unlike the Mendips.

A shame though....

11 minutes ago, RailWest said:

>>>After trawling through all the Ivo books i have come to realise that theres not much info on this section of the line...

Not surprising really, as the 'Dorset' was the bit of the S&DJR furthest from his flat in Bath. Also perhaps not so much in terms of heavy gradients to get photos of engines working hard, unlike the Mendips.

A shame though....

I have long realised the section from Templecombe down was overlooked but in my opinion the most scenic part of the route.

2 hours ago, down the sdjr said:

Hi all, first post.

I am modelling the stour valley in my loft, Stur to Blandford. After trawling through all the Ivo books i have come to realise that theres not much info on this section of the line.

Apples going north, milk for Bailey Gate,fertilizer and seeds at Blandford, maybe beer from Hall and Woodhouse, Stur cattle market and dairy, maybe the odd banana van, etc.

I am scaling down my ambitions from double headed west countrys to small local services.

I walked the section from Blandford to Stur recently and there is much to see, lots of bridges, lovely 10 mile walk (including a couple of pub stops).

Looking forward to posting here, have read for a while and you all know the line well.

Thanks.

Well if you live local, you're always welcome at the Blandford Railway Society, we meet Wednesday mornings, see link in my 'signature' below. 

15 hours ago, bike2steam said:

Well if you live local, you're always welcome at the Blandford Railway Society, we meet Wednesday mornings, see link in my 'signature' below. 

I grew up in Blandford but have lived in London for many years now.

Thank you for the offer, i visit often and if i am around on a Wednesday i will pop in.

Some pictures of freight south of Templecombe are about. If you can source G.A. Richardson's "Steam on the Somerset and Dorset" (Bradford Barton publication) there are three photos of 44102 on the 6-35am Evercreech to Poole goods between Blandford and Bailey Gate. Likewise this service also pictured leaving Poole Yard on return in "The Last Days of Steam in Dorset and Bournemouth" by David Haysom and Julien Parker on page 31 (an Alan Sutton publication), the loco this time 44560 in 1964.

• RMweb Premium

Jack,

There’s some info and pictures about Dorset end freight in the last 2/3 Midsomer Norton Telegraph magazines, principally about the fertiliser traffic.  Also SDRT Pines Express issue 214 re the last three years.

Have a look through “Somerset and dorset Railway” on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/396180353778795/ where there’s some that I took, the attachment here being the last one.  It means scrolling back a few months, though I’m sure that would be time enjoyably spent!

Tim.

1965_01_02 A23 75008 Poole m2c.jpg