The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Laws on barbies garden fire pits etc

Owd Bob

With the nice warm weather and always at the first sign of any sunshine at all:rolleyes: our not so nice next door neighbours have yet again got their cheapo Chinese made barbie set up and smoking away this afternoon(the last one they had was made of cast iron and exploded into bits:lol:) and it looks like we are in for a weekend of non-stop nonsense from them....again!  As always its been put virtually right under my Daughters upstairs bedroom window and up against the house wall, and in the corner of our shared rear garden fence line, it's a semi-detached house. Is there any laws that says that they must be put and lit a safe distance from any buildings? or at least anything we can do to try and stop them from making such a seemingly deliberate nuisance and stinking our home and garden out , surely we all have the right to use our own gardens, and even have a barbie of our own, and still have our house windows open, and also the right to put the washing out to dry on warmer days. Some of us do think of others and make/take our barbies as far as we can away from anyone else or their property :angry::( Do'snt help us much living at the East end of a Cul de sac with the wind mostly coming from the West, thus getting every bodys stinking smoke!:angry:

• Friendly/supportive 10

had a similar problem with our downstairs neighbour constantly having fires in off all things an upturned washing machine drum would stink our flat out leaving us with no option but to have all the windows on the back of the flat closed on the hotest days . repeated complaints to our landlords got us know where .resorted to a super soaker filled with urine sqireted on to the "food" soon made them move to the other end of the garden 

• Like 5
  • Funny 7

1 hour ago, Owd Bob said:

With the nice warm weather and always at the first sign of any sunshine at all:rolleyes: our not so nice next door neighbours have yet again got their cheapo Chinese made barbie set up and smoking away this afternoon(the last one they had was made of cast iron and exploded into bits:lol:) and it looks like we are in for a weekend of non-stop nonsense from them....again!  As always its been put virtually right under my Daughters upstairs bedroom window and up against the house wall, and in the corner of our shared rear garden fence line, it's a semi-detached house. Is there any laws that says that they must be put and lit a safe distance from any buildings? or at least anything we can do to try and stop them from making such a seemingly deliberate nuisance and stinking our home and garden out , surely we all have the right to use our own gardens, and even have a barbie of our own, and still have our house windows open, and also the right to put the washing out to dry on warmer days. Some of us do think of others and make/take our barbies as far as we can away from anyone else or their property :angry::( Do'snt help us much living at the East end of a Cul de sac with the wind mostly coming from the West, thus getting every bodys stinking smoke!:angry:

The wind is an East to Southeasterly today, so you ought to be ok. 

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Some local authorities have rules on bonfires. I am not aware of any governing BBQs...

The OP should consult the local authority about nuisance, if unable to persuade the neighbour to do differently. UK  local authority control of such matters varies widely from 'nothing' to 'very detailed indeed'; and at the detailed end, smoke nuisance is nuisance, whatever the source.

• Agree 4

Talk about CO poisoning takes me back to my father lighting a "portable" kerosene heater on winter evenings inside the house during the early 1970s. Such a thing is unthinkable to me know.

That house, in which my parents live still, has single glazing, no heat and no insulation in the walls. It is not at all airtight compared with modern homes. Of course it is in the semi-tropics. There's no cooling either, except for a welcome sea breeze most afternoons.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

I have long been of the opinion that if a chap wants to wear shorts, burn meat over a fire outdoors and pretend that he's in Australia, he could do the rest of us a great favour by xxxxxxing off there PDQ.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

Don't get many BBQ problems here  but in the past whilst living in a modern poorly -built semi I had a neighbour who was fond of having annoying pop music on a bit loud in the garden. I found that two minutes of Wagner usually did the trick - my HiFi was about 10 times the power of his portable wotsit and was quite capable of making his rooms resonate if the volume was turned more than a third of the way up. Psycho warfare at its finest. :yahoo:

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

If you've spoken (nicely) to the neighbours and they still don't move the barbecue to a better spot, then you complain to someone at environmental health at your local council.  If they don't or won't do anything, and the problem is really bad and persists, you could check your household insurance to see if you've got legal expense cover and then see if they'll fund you to consult a solicitor (or more likely their legal department) and take it from there.

DT

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Don't get many BBQ problems here  but in the past whilst living in a modern poorly -built semi I had a neighbour who was fond of having annoying pop music on a bit loud in the garden. I found that two minutes of Wagner usually did the trick :yahoo:

I prefer Gregorian chants for that!   :biggrin_mini:  :biggrin_mini::clapping::biggrin_mini:

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Something to clear any crowd (well, almost any) is a recording of Francis McPeake singing Wild Mountain Thyme made by Peter Kennedy when collecting folk songs in Ireland in 1952. It was recorded in the kitchen of a house in Belfast and all of the participants appear to be well under the influence of the Hard Stuff. Not the easiest of listening!!

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

21 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Something to clear any crowd (well, almost any) is a recording of Francis McPeake singing Wild Mountain Thyme made by Peter Kennedy when collecting folk songs in Ireland in 1952. It was recorded in the kitchen of a house in Belfast and all of the participants appear to be well under the influence of the Hard Stuff. Not the easiest of listening!!

I think I've got that on my Spotify!

This falls under the legal tort of private nuisance. The law (case) states that we must tolerate the 'general hustle and bustle of life' (lawn mower noise, barbeque smells etc...).  In the first instance you always have a responsibility to mediate with your neighbour. The Local Authority is the next level but you'll need some evidence (diary notes of times and dates, recordings etc..). 

• Informative/Useful 2

Where ever the OP lives it must be in a sunnier climate than me, we have only the weather for about 3 or 4 barbecues this year. Mine is brickbuilt so hard to move hence some thought went into where I built it. It is located at the bottom of the garden at the furthest point from any houses with trees at the back to keep smoke away from the neighbours garden behind. Ironically despite this the neighbour did complain once about the smoke from the first barbecue of the season which seemed worse than normal due to damp cheap charcoal.  I have since switched to B&Q Diall lumpwood charcoal which is excellent and I store it in the garage in the run up to Barbecue season to dry it out.

• RMweb Premium

Move to Scotland . Barbecues not a good bet here , lucky to get one per summer , twos a good summer , threes a heatwave.  Any even if its warm the bloody midges will get you!

Seriously not making light of your problem, I think a wee word with your neighbor is required  pointing out fire issue close to fence etc, maybe suggesting where else he could put it .  Failing that its off down the council to explore options I think.

Sad to say all the above have been tried and over a very long period of time now, we even had our local MP stay here over night to see what we have to put with and they then got threatened with eviction, the thing is our local council have no funds, staff or time to chase these idiots up anymore, and with no Police to be seen anywhere these days we are basically Policing ourselves, low lives like these know exactly how to play the rules and know what they can do and get away with these days, believe me if i could and i would have moved well away many-many years ago. Wish i could say the weather is better around here 37114 but i can't, as any dry day is an excuse to get a fire going in the garden around here! Wish i could fight fire with fire and get the smoke blowing the other way Jonny , butthe wind mostly comes from the West around here and i'd end up just choking myself out. :D Thanks.

• Friendly/supportive 3

On 28/06/2019 at 14:16, peanuts said:

had a similar problem with our downstairs neighbour constantly having fires in off all things an upturned washing machine drum would stink our flat out leaving us with no option but to have all the windows on the back of the flat closed on the hotest days . repeated complaints to our landlords got us know where .resorted to a super soaker filled with urine sqireted on to the "food" soon made them move to the other end of the garden 

I'm still laughing at this one.. a true classic!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Shouldn't put Barbie's in or on a Fire Pit - that's burning plastic which is prohibited, plus your children may also be none too happy by you burning their toys

Would Ken be Ok?

• Funny 3