Luke's 009 workbench

I'm often found lurking in the micro layout section of this forum working different layouts and such. My most recently completed being a 4ft by 1ft oo gauge distillery layout (called distillery yard for anyone interested). I've always had an interest in narrow gauge and have built a few micro layouts experimenting in 009 and 09. However since the rest of my modelling is oo I decided to give 009 another go. I'm very pushed for space (my modelling room being a walk in wardrobe) and being 17 means that my income for models is very limited. Anyway, that aside I thought I'd make a workbench thread to show my different modifications of my current 009 stock and maybe the future build of a narrow gauge layout. 

Today's offering is this set of peco skips. Theyre lovely models but like most things theyre improved but a good weathering. They have had a black wash, light brown dry brush and various different weathering powders. I still need to seal all the powders in and that's my next job.IMG_20190628_161309637_HDR.jpg.9e7e23c71ab66ba83deb9b54079b164c.jpgIMG_20190628_161257993_HDR.jpg.231f4e00c3a8352f2d15bdee6b58b9a0.jpg thanks for looking. :)

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Today's job after work was to fit new pick ups to my hoe Roco diesel. These are really a budget model so aren't the best. I bought mine in November last year from rails of Sheffield for £42.50 so quite good value really. The pick ups are 0.4mm phosphor bronze wire from eBay. They are soldered onto some copper clad PCB board fastened in place with super glue. IMG_20190629_203716175_HDR.jpg.a253645327e74b3edad2afcf859b1c94.jpgBit difficult to photo but you get the idea. Once I assembled everything I tested it and realised that the transmission between the motor and the gear chain was locking. It is a kinda spring thing that locks into place but the original spring was disfigured and bent. I've removed it and will source a suitable replacement. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

It's been a little while but modelling time has been fairly limited with work and holidays etc so I'm glad to be back at the workbench. This project is one I'm a little unsure of. The L&BR box car is a new purchase and will be debranded and weathered in due course. The brass kit is an A1 models mounted on the recommended Kato 11-103 chassis. Is it me or does it look too big and maybe out of scale. I know the length of the chassis is longer than most but it's the height I'm concerned about. IMG_20190808_171612000.jpg.68897b3a81da24470b5136e584c2d606.jpgI might have to scratch build a body to go onto the chassis mounting plate because that is a big difference. Admit stands the loco is 7mm taller than the box car, nearly 2ft in scale difference.  

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, luke the train spotter said:

It's been a little while but modelling time has been fairly limited with work and holidays etc so I'm glad to be back at the workbench. This project is one I'm a little unsure of. The L&BR box car is a new purchase and will be debranded and weathered in due course. The brass kit is an A1 models mounted on the recommended Kato 11-103 chassis. Is it me or does it look too big and maybe out of scale. I know the length of the chassis is longer than most but it's the height I'm concerned about. I might have to scratch build a body to go onto the chassis mounting plate because that is a big difference. Admit stands the loco is 7mm taller than the box car, nearly 2ft in scale difference.  

Hope you get some advice about this model, Luke? Narrow gauge is a very attractive option for small layouts with lots of interesting industrial themes, based on reality or a fictional scenario of your own creation? :meeting:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

009 is used to model several different prototype gauges—2ft gauge like the L&B will be smaller than 2ft 6ins gauge items would be. Depends what prototype the brass kit represents.

I would politely suggest that this is too simplistic a judgement and does not completely reflect reality. Differences in the size of “OO9” models are not just a matter of the prototype gauge varying from 2ft, to 2ft 3ins, to 2ft 4½ins, to 2ft 6ins.

The Peco van in question is based on a Lynton and Barnstaple prototype of nominal 2ft gauge. The Vale of Rheidol Railway was also nominal 2ft  – BUT its loading gauge was somewhat bigger.

If one compares, for example, a 4mm scale model of a VoR brake van with the Peco L&B van there is a considerable difference in bulk, width, and height – the latter is much the smaller.

Conclusion: modellers should understand that in broad terms the Peco L&B inspired vans are somewhat on the small side.

CP

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

In amongst work and holidays I've finished of the now ex L&BR box car. I used t cut to remove the L&BR branding then coated it in a dark grey enamel wash. This was followed with some various weathering powders and then a coat of Matt varnish to seal it all in. I've left the roof loose so I can fit some weight to it at a later date.IMG_20190812_200710850_HDR.jpg.2f673982eaf8f72cffbde3afe9f45e72.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/08/2019 at 16:19, cp409067 said:

I would politely suggest that this is too simplistic a judgement and does not completely reflect reality. Differences in the size of “OO9” models are not just a matter of the prototype gauge varying from 2ft, to 2ft 3ins, to 2ft 4½ins, to 2ft 6ins.

The Peco van in question is based on a Lynton and Barnstaple prototype of nominal 2ft gauge. The Vale of Rheidol Railway was also nominal 2ft  – BUT its loading gauge was somewhat bigger.

If one compares, for example, a 4mm scale model of a VoR brake van with the Peco L&B van there is a considerable difference in bulk, width, and height – the latter is much the smaller.

Conclusion: modellers should understand that in broad terms the Peco L&B inspired vans are somewhat on the small side.

CP

Just to clarify, because I feel your last sentence is a little ambiguous. The Peco box vans in L&B or Southern livery are accurate in height, width and length according to dimensions published in 'The Lynton & Barnstaple Railway Measured and Drawn' by Stephen Philips. The only real compromise is in gauge, to enable them to run on OO9 track.

OO gauge figures on the other hand, in my experience, tend to be often 'over scale'

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GNR Dave said:

Just to clarify, because I feel your last sentence is a little ambiguous. The Peco box vans in L&B or Southern livery are accurate in height, width and length according to dimensions published in 'The Lynton & Barnstaple Railway Measured and Drawn' by Stephen Philips. The only real compromise is in gauge, to enable them to run on OO9 track.

OO gauge figures on the other hand, in my experience, tend to be often 'over scale'

Agreeing that the gauge has been altered, I was not suggesting that the Peco L&B vans are under scale size.

However, as the rest of my previous posting made clear I am advising that compared with quite a lot of stock and locos available for "OO9" (and inspired by or modelled on various prototype lines) they are small - as indeed were the prototype vans.

I offer no generalisation about the size of "OO" figures - but I would suggest that the average adult male height is more than 5ft and therefore taller than the height of the van doors (both model and prototype) in question.

On that basis I stand by my view that -

"..... modellers should understand that in broad terms the Peco L&B inspired vans are somewhat on the small side".

CP

• 2 years later...
On 22/08/2019 at 08:28, GNR Dave said:

The book quoted is by two authors,  as stated in the loose insert included in every copy:   Stephen D Phillips (two Ls) and Michael J Bishop.   The latter prepared most of the original drawings (in the case of the box van only the remains of an original body) from which those in the book were transcribed.

9 hours ago, Michael Bishop said:

The book quoted is by two authors,  as stated in the loose insert included in every copy:   Stephen D Phillips (two Ls) and Michael J Bishop.   The latter prepared most of the original drawings (in the case of the box van only the remains of an original body) from which those in the book were transcribed.

Sorry Mr Bishop, but I bought my copy second hand. It did not contain any loose insert, and I could find no mention of you in the book itself. The only author credited is Stephen D Phillips, hence my quote.